Options

UO thursdays 10/9

2»

Re: UO thursdays 10/9

• Options
    jensaviccijensavicci member
    edited October 2014
    jessafish said:

Doesn't the whole girls name, boys name thing promote gender stereotypes? @linzlu214

edit: and idc if it's Friday!!! lol
    Lol it really does. But, we're still in a time where people either don't want to accept that or are concerned about how their children will handle being named what is stereotypically the opposite gendered named. However, slowly but surely, traditional issues surrounding the topic of gender are changing. So, who knows. In 10-20 years, Wyatt may totally be an "acceptable" female name.

I will say that while I'm not a fan of naming a girl a "boy" name (it's just NMS), it is a zillion million trillion times better than horribly misspelled or completely made-up names. At least it's a name that has history and meaning.

A girl named Wyatt is way better than a girl named Sowfeeuh or Renesmee. (And spell check on Google Chrome agrees.)

----------------------

"Youneek" names are just stupid. I just can't get behind that one.

There's no excuse for naming your baby "shaquandatrell".....
  • Options
    Linzlu214 said:

@pintsizedmama‌ it definitely does! But it also shows a rejection of things that are feminine and a preference for the masculine. Some people are picking male names to show that their daughters are strong, which is really undermining that which is feminine.

@Linzlu214‌ So, Are you saying that all females are feminine and that to name a daughter "frank" would be diminishing her femininity?

And let me just point out now that this is not an attempt at snark. This is just me making good conversation over a topic that strongly interests me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    @Linzlu214‌

I can tell you plain out that not all females are feminine. DW being my main example. Aside from that, you make an interesting point. But, I personally would not judge someone's name on that theory unless I knew for fact that it was for that reason. Maybe Ashton and Mila just really like the name Wyatt? Maybe there's some history to it in their families. They may have been trying to do just as you were saying and attempting to diminish society's view of her femininity. How can we know unless they tell us? Ya know.
  • Options
    jensaviccijensavicci member
    edited October 2014
    Linzlu214 said:

@pintsizedmama‌ I totally agree. It's hard to get it started though. I don't want to make my son's life hard on him and you and I both know that a boy named Sarah or Annabelle is going to have a rough time in school. It's a tough thing. I don't think it's hard for girls named boy names the way it is hard for boys named girl names. Which, of course, shows the sexism in our society.

Also very true! While I don't mind if someone else named their son "Priscilla", I already know that my children will and do get enough crap from some of society for their parent's lifestyles. I rather not add more stress into their lives.
  • Options
    MSUDucks said:
    I like my freckles. I think most people grow out of them, but mine have stuck around and I think that's great. Also, I'm getting a huge streak of silver right in the front of my hair, but I'm not planning to start dyeing my hair. I just turned 24. Part of me hates the thought of so many chemicals going into my brain, and the other part of me is too darn lazy to keep up with grey roots for the next 70 years!
    Um? I think I'm missing how chemicals get in your brain?
    https://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/intheworkplace/hair-dyes There are toxic chemicals (scientists' words, not mine) in standard permanent hair dye. If you're putting dye on your scalp you're going to be affected somehow (skin is permeable). It's just something very unnatural that could potentially lead to health issues. THAT BEING SAID, I have colored my hair many times just for fun. I'm just not willing to commit to a monthly re-dose of chemicals on my head, partially because of the chemicals, partly because I'm lazy. :P
    Yeah, skin is permeable. But the proximity of your scalp skin to your brain does not negate the blood brain barrier. So, I'm still at a no with hair dye getting to your brain. Also, skin cells shed and divide faster than lots of other cell types, not to mention that there is a lot less tissue under the scalp than other places. So, you're probably better off with brief exposure to hair dye than a lot of other things we ingest or put on our bodies.
    Lazy is a totally acceptable excuse though! That's my personal reason, also I'm cheap.
    ooh I thought my sarcastic over-exaggeration was understandable when I said "brain." Of course chemicals that you wash off your hair won't touch your brain. At any rate, I know it's not a huge danger. I've had my hair colored more times than I can count. But it's one of those weird irrational fears I have now! 

At least my UO has made me a great butt for jokes over in FFFC! Always happy to help out there. 

//sarcasm//

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @MSUDucks you're the best. :) This is why I should continue to only lurk on threads LOL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"