Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Exclusively pumping, help!

My son was born last week (yay!) and we have had a miserable time nursing, so I switched to just pumping so he can still get breastmilk. Currently, I'm getting about 2 oz per breast per pumping session. Any advice on how to increase the volume I'm getting per session?

Re: Exclusively pumping, help!

• Options
    My nurse suggested Using a warm compress on my breasts or taking a hot shower before pumping as well as massaging my breasts. She also said to try pumping for five minutes, turning the machine off for five minutes and finishing for the last 10. She also suggested an herbal supplement called fenugreek. Please talk to your healthcare professional before taking any supplements but it would be work asking. I'm getting 3-4 oz. per session and I pump about 6-8 times a day.
  • Options
    My son was born last week (yay!) and we have had a miserable time nursing, so I switched to just pumping so he can still get breastmilk. Currently, I'm getting about 2 oz per breast per pumping session. Any advice on how to increase the volume I'm getting per session?
    The June 2014 board has some of the best Exclusive Pumping info I've seen on The Bump 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At two weeks old, this seems pretty on target for what he's eating. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    I agree with the pp's.  I think you're on target for where a 1 week old would be, but if you're concerned a lactation consultant would work wonders.  My twins are 5 weeks old, and I would love to consistently produce 2 oz per pump.  My LC taught me that the more you pump, the more you produce.  So make sure you're pumping at least every 3 hours and not letting more than 5 hours pass between sessions.  That has helped me get my milk up. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I agree.  I think you are right on target and will increase if you continue to pump over time.  You must do it every 2-3 hours and pump once during the night (no more than a 5 hour long gap at night).  Hold your baby or think about your baby when you pump.  Consult an LC if you think you might want to go back to breastfeeding.  It is much, much easier than pumping exclusively because there are no dishes and you do not have to spend time pumping and then feeding.  
  • Options
    Agree to all above, and my LC also said to massage (c-hold) as you're pumping and drink lots of water.  Like everyone else says, you're producing just enough at his age.  I was only getting about 2-3 oz at that time and I started getting 5 oz at 3 1/2 weeks.  Now, at 4 1/2 weeks, I pump anywhere from 5 -7oz.  I notice when I have more when I eat and drink alot of water.  But after a long stretch of trying to get some sleep instead of eating, I don't have as much.
    Baby Birthday Tichttp://www.thebump.com/profiles/junebug555/settings/avatar/Index#ker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"