Natural Birth
Options

1 week to go, feeling nervous

Hi everyone. I don't usually post on this board, usually I just read alot, but I could use some support. I'm 39 weeks today, FTM, and starting to have doubts. Thoughts entering my mind are like "why am I so set on med-free birth? can I really do this?" 

My doctor is for the most part supportive, and has said things like "Most women end up getting an epidural; I hope you can prove me wrong". I have a doula, I've read all the books, took the natural childbirth classes, made the birth plan (a basic one with a lot of "if possible" language). 

I'm just starting to feel very nervous and like "Why am I doing this natural birth thing???" I need to get my head back to where it was earlier in pregnancy when I had all the confidence. Any suggestions? Thank you for reading.

Re: 1 week to go, feeling nervous

• Options
    I am making a list of all the reasons I chose to go med-free in the first place.  I've never done it before  and I have a feeling there will be some point  during labor (probably transition) where I won't want to anymore.  I'm giving the list to my husband and having him read it to me during labor.  I'm also including some birth affirmations I've really liked.  Our bodies were made to do this, you have prepared yourself, you can get through it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hugs.  I'm due any day with my second and even though I've had a med free birth, there still is some fear bc of all of the unknowns.  I love the suggestions that have been made and will be spending some time this week reviewing the birth stories in Ina May's book for inspiration.  The entire process for me was mind over matter and it helped to stay as relaxed and positive as possible so my body could do what it needed to do.  I admittly hit my I want an epi point while we were driving to the hospital and didn't realize that I was in transition and was fully dialated by time my MW checked me.   I immediately relaxed and got back to the task at hand when pain meds were no longer a possibility. I think your doula will be a great advocate and will help you stay focused if you start to doubt that you can do it.  I also think that laboring at home as long as possible helps- you will be in your own space and able to relax much more easily than you will once you are at the hospital.   You can do it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all! I have been reading my Ina May book every night before bed!! I love the stories in there. Great suggestion of making a list of reasons I wanted to go natural in the first place. I will work on that. Appreciate all the comments!! Good luck to all of you,too!
  • Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for the support, everyone! My OB signed off on my birth plan the other day so I'm feeling a little more confident. Now just need to figure out a way to go into labor so I don't have to get induced at 41 weeks which is the practice's policy. (I'm only 39+2 days so there's time!) 
  • Options
    @RC1014 I think Ina May includes a list of natural ways to induce labor in the second section of her book (I'm not sure which chapter off hand).  A lot can happen between now and 41 weeks, if you even get that far!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    As a FTM I am agreeing with PP even though I understand your fears. YOU CAN DO IT. Make that your mantra. I know I have because it's getting real at this point for me too. My only fear is IF I have to be induced I'm not sure I can do it pain med-free, but I'll try it because you never know until you do. :)
    Married since *7/13/2012* to my soulmate!

Surprise! BFP 3/7/2013, Missed MC, D&C @ 7w5d
    BFP 12/10/2013, Natural MC @ 5w1d

BFP 2/15/2014...Katia Elizabeth is due 10/23/2014!
     BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Read a few positive birth stories on the birth without fear blog!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    My last week of pregnancy: prenatal massage appts, doing the deed lots ;) evening primrose oil and lots of acupuncture!! Soooo relaxing and potentially labor inducing. And I went into labor on my due date.

Ooh, and a few good longer walks up steep hills for lunges. Totally sucks but I went into labor after a good strenuous walk.

• Options
    Thank you all for the support! No baby yet. 40+3 today. This week I got a massage, acupuncture, pedicure, bouncing on a birthing ball and walking, drinking raspberry leaf tea, and taking EPO. Some random cramping but no consistent contractions.

Plan from my doctor: I have an NST and amniotic fluid check on Monday. If either of those are "bad" then I will get admitted and start foley bulb Monday night and start Pitocin Tuesday.

If I "pass", then I will get admitted Wednesday night to start foley bulb and get induced with Pitocin Thursday morning.

I'm not thrilled with the plan but it's a "compromise" considering this hospital where I'm delivering doesn't typically "let you" go past 41w.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"