January 2015 Moms
Options

Non-Necessities that are Nice to Have

So, DH and I got pretty much all of our baby necessity items covered already, but someone gave us quite a large amount of money to spend on whatever baby and/or maternity items we want.  So I'm curious - what are some non-necessities that have proven useful?  We're first time parents so it's all new to us.
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Non-Necessities that are Nice to Have

• Options
    If we receive any monetary gifts for baby, we are putting it toward her college/life launch fund. Even small amounts seriously add up and I SERIOUSLY never want her to have to deal with Sallie Mae. *eye roll*
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The Rock n Play if that wasn't considered on your necessity list was nice to have. Maybe a white noise machine (I used a You Tube video for it, but I know lots of people actually have the machines). 

• Options
    I am not sure what you are considering necessary or not but things I loved were a piano floor mat by Fischer price, E loved that thing (my old BMB board called it the crack mat!). I also liked her bouncy seat, jumper was great, some good toys for focus on while doing tummy time and later crawl. Other good things to have are lots of bibs, boogie wipes, teething rings, and rattles! 
  • Options
    Newborn photos, new outfit for mom, and save the rest. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas so far.  However, the amount I was given isn't in cash, so it can't be saved, it's gotta be spent in the next few months.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love the towels that are like aprons. I have one from clevamama but this one looks nice too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJB3BA0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1412623119&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I also think that if babywearing seems to be working you might want to invest in some nicer carriers or a couple different kinds. A Tula carrier or a nice woven wrap or ring sling can be very nice to have, but I think it is good to see if it is something you'll use.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    saiven said:
    Thanks for the ideas so far.  However, the amount I was given isn't in cash, so it can't be saved, it's gotta be spent in the next few months.
    Gift card?

_______________________Quote Fail_________________

Sort of, I actually have a credit card that goes to a family member's account in case of emergencies, but I was given a dollar limit to charge on the card for baby & maternity items over the next 4 months.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have the best little baby store in town with all kinds of wood toys and tethers, carriers, wraps and cloth diapers. I swear I could spend a fortune there. Maybe you have a shop like that and can get a gift. Are like a previous poster suggested. Or there are amazon gift cards you can buy.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    Since I don't know what you've already got, some suggestions would be an exersaucer, white noise machine, rock and play, or decorations for the nursery.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    saiven said:
    saiven said:
    Gift card?

_______________________Quote Fail_________________

Sort of, I actually have a credit card that goes to a family member's account in case of emergencies, but I was given a dollar limit to charge on the card for baby & maternity items over the next 4 months.
    That makes more sense.

Definitely +1 the convertible car seats. We need two of them and they're like $250 each (there are better deals, I know). Also, definitely get a baby carrier (the Ergo is highly rated but we're registered for the Beco Gemini for a number of reasons). You may just want to go walk around Target baby section or BRU/BBB and see what catches your eye.
    Noooooo terrible way to end up wasting money on dumb shit! Carefully plan and check reviews on amazon. add things to your wish list. sleep on it. then order ;)
  • Options
    Baby sleep sacks, if buying ahead get lighter fabrics for warm months. 
    BIG blankets that can be used for swaddling (Aden & Anais has a good size, not sure of other brands but so many receiving blankets are too small to get a good wrap & tuck. You can also buy some flannelette and just sew a square, leaving it at full width)
    Swing or bouncer chair
    Nursing bras / cotton pads
    Cloth diapers
    Monogramming? :P
    DD#1 (6), DD#2 (4), DD#3 (0)
  • Options
    I say new born pictures for sure! I wasn't going to do them last time and I'm so glad I did.

A good nursing bra, or two if you plan to BF. You've got to wear them all the time, so I'd invest into some good ones.

It all really depends on what you find a non necessities.
    A swing, bounce chair, and a good carrier are necessities to me... Where someone else those are 'luxuries. '

I'd hold off and not use any money right now. If you've got everything you'll think you'll need, once baby is here there will be things you'll need/want.

• Options
    I would stock up on diapers!
    5 IUIs and an IVF
    It's all worth it for Baby Boy, born 9/30/13!
    What do you know, Baby Girl just popped up! Due 1/2/15
  • Options
    britb618britb618 member
    edited October 2014
    Def. second nursing bras and just comfy clothes in general. One of my friends who is super tiny requested all victoria secret sweats and zip ups for xmas when she was due in january. I thought that was pretty smart but since I wasn't due near a holiday last time I just went to target and got a few stretchy pants etc. This time I will def. request some more of those. I would probably go somewhere like target and buy a bunch of stuff, keep the receipt so you can return it if you need to and then buy what you actually need once the baby is born. Also, I am a huge fan of honest diapers so you could probably go on their website and do like a year supply of diapers and wipes etc. They come in monthly bundles so you can always alter the size on a monthly basis but at least it will be stocked for the year. Thats like $80 a month so could be super helpful down the line. Also, zip up pjs for the baby. I DESPISE buttons and snaps, especially at night during diaper changes. Zippers are amazing. Finding some of those will be a life saver. And convertible car seats like other pps have mentioned. Have fun shopping! 
  • Options
    BabyStandish said! A glider would be number one on my list. Diapers (cloth or disposable would be great to stock up on all the way up to size 4 maybe 5. If I had the money I'd splurge on a mamaroo glider/swing instead of the regular kind that we will actually be getting. 

Other things:
    Stroller with all the bells and whistles (but be sure it's not too heavy to actually carry/use)
    nap nanny
    convertible car seat
    Keekaroo high chair with all the attachments

Or go more practical and look at the suggested items that are on the list stores give you when setting up a registry (aside from the wipes warmer, walker and other things that aren't safe)

• Options
    jbrosenkjbrosenk member
    edited October 2014
    Amazon prime membership and gift card! I ordered so many things after baby 1 on amazon and the fact that it came to my doorstep in 2 days or less was amazing- esp since we are having winter babies. As others said, you won't know what works for your baby until they are here (ex. We tried several sleepsacks until we found one that could contain our houdini).
  • Options
    Mamaroo......not a necessity, but I had a cranky baby and she loved it. 
  • Options
    edited October 2014

jbrosenk said:

Amazon prime membership and gift card! I ordered so many things after baby 1 on amazon and the fact that it came to my doorstep in 2 days or less was amazing- esp since we are having winter babies. As others said, you won't know what works for your baby until they are here (ex. We tried several sleepsacks until we found one that could contain our houdini).

Amazon Prime used to be awesome. Lately, though, not so much. They raised the membership fees, raised the prices of most items, and the shipping is no longer as quick as they promise.
    When you live 45 mins from the closest Walmart and 70 minutes from the nearest Target, Amazon Prime is worth every penny. Also, signing up for Amazon Mom saves bunches on diapers and wipes. But really, saving me from driving an hour with a newborn will be well worth it!

If I had that situation, OP, I would buy the Mamaroo swing, a convertible car seat, a bunch of comfy nursing bras and stretchy clothes, and a whole bunch of diapers in various sizes (or a full set of cloth diapers, if that's your thing).
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Options
    StargirlbStargirlb member
    edited October 2014
    I haven't looked into any of them in depth yet, but this review about mold turned me off the Cuisinart. On the amazon reviews of the Beaba pro I didn't see anything about a mold problem, but if that's something all of them have then I will prob just do it the old fashioned way :/

• Options
    Oh- I agree with the convertible car seat! Buying new it will have a far enough expiration date that even when you switch from infant seat you won't have to worry. We already bought a Britax one because we had Kohl's Cash we needed to use up. 

Also agree with a baby carrier! A ring sling still works great for us at almost 2 years! When he was an infant I preferred a structured carrier- just bought a Beco for this baby, but also have a Mei Tai. 

You could likely pay for a newborn photo package up front, so that would allow you to spend it now as well. 

• Options
    I would get a Dutalier glider and/or a Beco Gemini carrier.

• Options

jbrosenk said:

Amazon Prime used to be awesome. Lately, though, not so much. They raised the membership fees, raised the prices of most items, and the shipping is no longer as quick as they promise.
    When you live 45 mins from the closest Walmart and 70 minutes from the nearest Target.
    Oh my gosh, how do you live without being by a Target?! I'd die without it being across the street from me or at least 10 mins!
    It has cut back on my spending, that's for sure! I have to REALLY want it to go that far ;-)

Though I have been teaching a class out that way, and have definitely found excuses for stopping in. Even the smell of a Target store is addicting!
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards