October 2014 Moms
Options

Charlie's Here! (PIP)

linnae939linnae939 member
edited October 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Short version:
Carl Willis xxxxxx IV 8lbs 4.1oz, 18.5 inches (short fat little man) Born at 12:02 am on 9/29/14!!!

His nickname is Charlie!

Long Version:

Charlie's Birth Story
I was crampy Friday and Saturday. I went to my Gramma's 85th birthday party. We went home and I was very uncomfortable. DH went to work. I called the midwife soon after b/c I felt so awful. She said to relax, take a bath, drink a glass of wine and go to bed. I couldn't sleep and at midnight, I called DH to give him a heads up he might need to come home. At 1am it was too bad to do by myself, so I called DH to come home, He got home, loaded up the car, and we got to the hospital at 2:02am on 9/28.
They kept me in triage and checked me at 4am, at which point I was 3cm and 90% effaced. The nurse saw my birth plan and was like "oh, you have a birth plan? These usually end up as C-sections"...and laughed. Hate her. (note - my birth plan pretty much said - as natural as possible...I'm pretty flexible. Most of the things in it were post labor things like skin on skin and no eye antibiotics and stuff) 2 hours later they checked me again, STILL 3 CM! They weren't sure if I was going to progress, they said I could wait 2 more hours to see if I progressed, or go home and take an Ambien. We were already there, so we waited. I used the shower for my back pain and at 8 am I was 4cm and 100% effaced, so I got moved up to Labor and Delivery! I kept getting sick with my contractions, so even though normally you can eat anything you want in labor at my hospital I was put on liquids/clear foods :( My mom came in and I had terrible back labor. She and DH took turns rubbing my back and I spent A LOT of time in the shower. I didn't have an IV and had intermittent monitoring, baby did GREAT the entire time, my blood pressure was perfect etc.
Another 2 hours, another centimeter. I was slow and steady my midwife said (I love all but one of the midwives at my group and was sooo worried it would be her on call. It wasn't!). My water broke at about 3:15pm. At 5:30pm my contractions became back to back, I thought this must be doing something...nope still 5cm. I cried. I felt like I had been doing everything I could, walking, changing positions etc. My midwife was great, so encouraging, but I was worried that if I wasn't progressing and labored this hard for this long, I wouldn't be able to push when it came time and need a C-Section. After an hour of this (and still 5cm) I talked to my midwife about an epidural or another pain relief drug just to give me a break so that I could regroup and get some energy (at this point I hadn't slept for 36 hrs). She said lets see how you do in the next few contractions. So we discussed options, I went for an epidural. It was the best decision ever!
It was so hard to get because the contractions never stopped while I was getting it, and the position you have to stay in is pretty much the WORST way I could sit for the horrible contractions. It felt like a giant novicane needle to my spine and hip. I felt it way more on the right side. My nurse was great, she pulled the anestesiologist away from another patient just before he went to her room because I had been in labor so much longer (I was like Rachel on Friends, everyone else comes and goes and she doesn't progress). I got a very low dose and had a push button if needed. I pushed the button twice at first. I could still use my legs, change positions, and feel when contractions were coming; it just really made everything bearable.They checked me 15 minutes later (at about 8pm) 6cm! At my next check at 9:30 ish I was 10cm! FINALLY! I really just needed to relax! My midwife said to let the baby do his job and work his way down so I would have less pushing to do. She said first babies take 2-3 hours of pushing usually. At 11:10pm it was time to push!
My midwife reminded me of the button, but I wanted to be able to feel to push and I wanted the epidural to wear off a quickly as possible afterwards. 52 minutes later, Charlie was born!  (Sunny side up) I had a mirror to see, and once his head was out, I was able to finish delivering him and put him on my chest. It was DH's job to announce if it was a boy or girl, since we were team green.

AHHH we love our little nugget!!!

And here are ton's of pics! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My first tummy time!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

Re: Charlie's Here! (PIP)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"