Pittsburgh Babies

Suburb Recommendations :)

Hi Ladies,
My husband is being relocated to the Pittsburg area (his office is in Cranberry Township), and we need to start searching for a house! This is the 3rd time we've bought a house and the last 2 we made pretty quick decisions without knowing the area and ended up in an area that wasn't as nice as we were hoping, so I'm starting my research now! (holy cow run-on sentence!). Anyway, I need recommendations on areas/suburbs/towns to look in that are an hr or less away from Pittsburg and Cranberry Township. Ideally we'd like good schools, a nice community with nice parks/kids activities (Little Gym, mommy and me classes, etc), and in a perfect world an area that is bikable! Any suggestions would be wonderful!  Cranberry Township looks adorable but I'd like some other options, too. Our housing budget is anywhere from $250-450 (depending on how much work we have to put in the house), and ideally we'd like to do a custom build. 

Oh, and anything I should know about PA? We've never been before (have lived in Minneapolis and Atlanta so far, so this will be a change!)

K, I'm done rambling. Thanks so much!!
IMG_2448
"Be the Lego Lady"

Re: Suburb Recommendations :)

• Hello and welcome to Pittsburgh! This board is somewhat slow but if you head over to The Nest on the Pittsburgh board you might get more responses. I lurk on that board from time to time and it seems like there are a few ladies over in that area or near it :) Good Luck!!

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• Welcome to Pittsburgh! I would suggest looking close to your husbands office in the Cranberry/Wexford area. There is lots to do in that area and the schools are good.
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd also recommend Cranberry/Wexford for what you are looking for.  If you love old homes, Zelienople might be a good fit.  
  • I agree with the Cranberry Twp or Wexford. Mars is also nice. FYI if you stay in Butler County, your taxes will be lower. Just something to think about.
  • Seneca Valley is a pretty strong school district.  I'd also recommend some of the districts a little further south, like North Allegheny, Pine Richland, Hampton, or Fox Chapel.  

I would avoid Butler and Mars.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sewickley is a great location! Not too far from cranberry area and gas great schools!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are some of the best rated schools located in that area. The taxes can vary slightly though. You will be on the border of Allegheny and Butler counties, Butler county is MUCH MUCH cheaper than Allegheny county. I'm from the area and am actually also a realtor so if you are in need of help please don't hesitate to give me a call! 412-805-7833.  :-)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Best Wishes to all the momma kitties out there :-*

• I live in Mars, a beautiful suburb with an excellent school system. Pine Richland school is also wonderful, but the taxes are crazy high because of Allegheny County.
  • edited April 2015
    Welcome to Pittsburgh! I live in Bellevue and LOVE it (10 minutes from downtown!). But given your budget you can probably afford something a little nicer, though I personally find Bellevue charming. If you want something fairly close to the city, I definitely would recommend Avalon or Sewickley. Avalon is closer to the city but Sewickley is the nicer area.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love the South Hills... Mt. Lebanon. Upper Saint Clair. They have the top two ranking schools in the state of Pa. They're located around 79- which can take your husband right into cranberry!
  • We have moved back to Pittsburgh after being gone for a few years and just bought a house in Pine-Richland SD. We love the area. Fox Chapel SD and Hampton SD are great too but you don't nearly as much house for your money. They are all A rated school districts.
    BFP #3: 9/1/2015, EDD: 5/10/2016
    BFP #2: 10/8/14, EDD: 6/22/15, MC: 11/13/14 (D&C)
    BFP #1: 2/4/2014, EDD: 10/9/2014, MMC: 3/4/2014 (D&C)
    Married my Best Friend: 10/10/2009
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Anniversary

Visit The Nest