Preemies

Progesterone shots?

Hey everyone! I am pregnant with my second due in April. I'm 13 weeks. I ppromed with my DD at 35 weeks. She had no NICU time, but was small and we had issues with bfing. My midwife brought up the idea of getting progesterone shots this time around. I really, really want to go full term. Are these shots safe? If you had them, did they work for you? She mentioned that they are expensive. How much did they cost? We have insurance. Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Progesterone shots?

• I am pregnant with my third DS. DS2 was born at 24 weeks and spent 116 days in the NICU. So, I have been seing MFM since week 16 and they suggested progesterone shots for this pregnancy from 17 weeks until 36 weeks. We have BCBS and MFM submitted a prescription referral for Makena which is the super expensive brand name progesterone shot and insurance DENIED it!!! So, long story short I am now getting the compounded progesterone shot. With our insurance it is costing us $106 for 4 shots. They give you the filled prescription injections at the compound pharmacy to take your obgyn to inject. But, I asked several ladies on the HR board and they said they let their husbands give it to them. So, since I started the shot (week 17 and I am 22 weeks now) DH has been giving me the shot at home. We watched a few YouTube videos. LOL! It is injected in the upper part of your butt/hip. I don't feel the needle go in at all. The actual compound is thick so it has to be injected really slow. I don't have any side effects after the shot. I always walk around for a few minutes to loosen up that area after the shot to avoid it being sore. But, 2 minutes after the shot I forget all about it. I also have DH inject it at night so I go to bed shortly after I get the shot. I would not worry about it if I was you. It gives me piece of mind knowing I am getting the shot. Good luck!
  • I'm on the shots now. I can't say how well they work, since I'm not there yet, but I started them at 16 weeks, and will continue until 36 (knock on wood I'm still pregnant then). They are super expensive.  You'll need your provider to apply to your insurance company to qualify. My insurance is covering them, but my EOBs say the price is about $3400 per month. Makena has a program to help give you a discounted rate if your insurance won't cover them though. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm also on them since dd was born at 33w.
    My insurance approved makenna. My dr wouldn't let me take them home, or let my dh give them. So I go weekly for an injection. No idea how it works as I am only 24w. Fingers crossed we make it to the last shot, at 36w.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I had DS1 at 32w3d due to PTL, so I was a good candidate for the shots. I got the shots from week 17-35. I did make it to 36w0d, so I would consider it a success. DS2 didn't need any NICU time, even though he was little (5 lb. 6oz.).

My insurance covered the shots that I obtained through a compounding pharmacy. It was $40 for 4 weeks - not a bad deal! They shipped to my house. I'm a teacher, so I had my school nurse administer them. The stick wasn't so bad but I did have lots of itching, swelling, and bruising at the injection sites. It was totally worth it, though, to get those extra 3.5 weeks. I would definitely get them again if we go for a third.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Hi,

I asked the question about 1 month ago, but in a reversed way as I had decided to not get the shots and was getting a bit nervous about my choice. My first was born at 35 week with a 9 day NICU stay. I am currently 37 weeks and 2 days, no signs of imminent labor. I think if your insurance covers the cost it might be good to have the peace of mind...
  • I had DS1 at 34w and had the shots when pg with DS2.  My shots were covered by insurance and they even covered a nurse being sent to me to me to administer the shot at check me each week - Atena HMO. I was induced with ds2 at 39w (other complications).  I'm not sure if the progesterone helped but the nurse caught signs of early labor at 32 wks and sent me in to L&D to be checked and contractions stopped.  There were no side effects for baby from progesterone but I had a very itchy sore butt.

My other advise is check with your insurance - even if you decide not to get progestrone shots.  I qualified for a lot of extra follow-ups via telephone and nurses from the insurance company coming to see me because I had a preemie at 34w. They asked about my care, told me things to look out for, gave me ideas of what to ask obs and l&d

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had my daughter early at 23 wks due to undetermined PTL; she passed away after 2 days.  With my son (I got pregnant just a few months later), I had the progesterone shots and went into undertermined preterm labor at 30 weeks, 1 day.  I don't know if the shots helped, I hope they did. I received steroid shots while in labor (to help with lung development), since the labor couldn't be stopped.  My son spent 50 days in the NICU with no specific issues (mostly a "feeder and grower").  He is now 4 1/2 with no developmental issues (maybe a big high energy, though most 4 year-old boys are) and doing amazing.

At the time (in 2009/2010), my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) covered it in my doctor's office. I know that there's been some changes in formulas and proprietary stuff going on.  I am TTC now and hope my insurance will cover the shots.
    Me: 39
    DH: 39

TTC: #3 - first cycle TTC - 10/2014
    Preg #1 - PTL @ 23.5 weeks - angel in heaven (Addison Margaret)
    Preg #2 - PTL @ 30.1 weeks - Kellen born @ 3 lbs. 5 oz in Jan 2010 - My Pride and Joy
  • I had my first at 28 weeks . I started my shots at 16 weeks and went I to ptl at 32 weeks but didnt deliver till 36 weeks and he had no nicu stay ... my doc said the shots are safe and there are no risks to the baby ... I believe if I had not gotten the shots I probably would have had lil man sooner than I did ..
  • My DS was born at just over 35 weeks, I received progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks and DD arrived at 39 weeks. I received the shots in my doctors office and they were covered by insurance.

Lilypie - (vulX)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• BLPL101BLPL101 member
    edited November 2014
    Thank you. I started receiving the shots last week, but unfortunately, found out on Tuesday at our anatomy scan (19 wks) that the baby is severely deformed and won't survive. I thought having a premature baby was my biggest concern. Guess I was wrong. Thank you for your help!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm so sorry to hear this!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"