August 2013 Moms
Options

Flying alone with LO

I'm flying by myself with baby girl next week. She'll be two months old at the time. Any tips/tricks/advice on what to do or bring? It's a three hour total travel time with a quick plane change. I'll be carrying her with me as I didn't want to purchase an additional ticket. Thanks for your help!!
Baby Girl Koa Lynn, and big brother Hershey

Re: Flying alone with LO

• Options
    Flying w a newb is easy-peasy. I liked to nurse on take-off and/or landing to help w ears popping - bottle feeding or paci will do the same thing.

I also really liked wearing LO. Sometimes they won't let you wear LO on take-off and landing, but it's worth it to have your hands free.

Gate check your car seat and stroller.

Good luck! I'd fly w an infant a million times over flying w a toddler.

• Options
    SlpaffordSlpafford member
    edited October 2014

bump burp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As previous posters have said...this will be the easiest flight you will take with your baby! I have flown by myself 6 times since my baby was born...my mom lives in another state. We've gone when she was 4 months, 8 months and 11 months. 4 month was by far the easiest!!! I wore my Boba 3G and it was a breeze! I flew Southwest each time and they were great. Like PP said, they made me unsnap the Boba during take off and landing. I sat in the aisle seat every time...just in case she ever got fussy or needed a diaper I could get up without walking over people (I've changed her on the plane before...word of advice...most planes only have a changing table in the front bathroom not the back. I learned my lesson the hard way) Nurse or give a binky on take off and landing. (I was nursing and FF at the time so I chose to give her a bottle, but you may want a window seat if your nursing. It provides you more privacy) I found that the younger she was the easier it was because she was sleeping basically the entire time. 

Another bit of advice...if the baby is cranky or crying on the plane...DO NOT SWEAT IT!!! You will be surprised at how many people are actually extremely understanding. And guess what...you will never see these people again! During one of my 8 month flights she was just miserable (we were delayed on the runway for 1hr 1/2 with no air...she was just mad...as were we!) I walked the aisle with her...bounced her...fed her...nothing helped. I was so embarrassed...but the people on the plane were so nice! They were playing with her and making her laugh. You will get people here and there that hate kids on planes...but what can you do. That's their problem!!

Sorry for the long post...Good luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"