Natural Birth

What is a non-natural birth?

This is my first pregnancy, and I'm trying to learn about labor. What is a natural birth? I know it means drug free, but what else does it mean? What drugs (besides an epidural) are you not taking? TIA for helping to educate me!

Re: What is a non-natural birth?

• Thank you for clarifying med-free vs. natural. I need to learn a lot, as a lot of what you mentioned is foreign language to me. Do you have any good sources you recommend?
  • Loading the player...
  • I think for most people, they define natural birth as completely drug-free. No pain meds, no pitocin, just your body doing its job. I'm sure there are different definitions depending on an individual's goals. For me personally, I'm ok with pitocin to help deliver the placenta because I'm prone to hemmoraging, but I don't want anything before that. I'd still call that a natural birth.

• Everyone defines it differently.  I hope to have as med-free of a birth as possible (no epidural, no narcotics, no pit, etc).  Most on this board are at least looking to avoid an epidural and narcotics.  Honestly, don't worry about a label, decide what you're comfortable with and let that be the definition of your birth.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I agree with PP on watching business of being born (free on netflix), and the two books that were mentioned.
  • Technically "Natural Birth" is a medical term that first appeared in medical journals in the 1930s to define a labor without pain medications, where the mother remains conscious through the labor, and where the mother takes a birthing class to learn natural ways to cope with labor pains.  This was coming out of the "twilight sleep" years where mothers were basically knocked unconscious to deliver their babies.  That's the medical definition and where the term comes from.  These days "med-free", "intervention-free", and "vaginal birth" or more commonly used to describe what many consider a natural birth. 

Generally I think most moms on here would agree that a natural birth today means no epidural/IV narcotics and a vaginal birth.  Therefor most also want to avoid induction medications like Pitocin because they can interfere with the body's natural way of going through labor and create contractions that are much more powerful and painful than they would be otherwise.  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• @emmyg65- I use the same terms over "natural".  I had a drug free birth with my first, but it wasn't exactly low intervention, which was fine, but not exactly what I would have thought of as a "natural" birth prior to giving birth. 

There were some wonderful definitions given and I completely agree that you will need to define for yourself what it all means.  Educating yourself is the best starting point so you can make informed decisions about what you do or don't want.  Also, I firmly believe that the philosophy of your care provider is important.  Some are very supportive of doing everything possible to help mom deliver without pain meds and other interventions, while others are less concerned with the steps taken to have a vaginal birth. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a student midwife and I'd say a natural birth involves no pain meds and no pitocin or other augmentation. In my head, I draw the line at birth of baby. If mom needed pit or lidocaine after that it's still natural in my book. Those are much more appropriate uses of pit and pain meds.
  • I don't like or use the term natural birth. Natural has become a values-laden term, applied to birth or anything else. Physiologic or minimal intervention is better IMO, and more descriptive. I saw on my company's hr website for leave planning, birth would be classified as cesarean or natural. Natural seems to get used when people are afraid to say vagina lol.
    *nods*

I usually say I'm planning or had a med-free or low-intervention birth.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I learned on my M15 board, that using the word natural can be offensive. I still use it with friends and my midwives. But I'll say low intervention/ med free when on the internet. Some people truly believe that a c section is "natural". I guess I'm a stickler for holding Webster accountable for a definition of a word. I mentioned it at a natural birth group and they said women who don't elect a natural birth can feel offended by the word, like maybe their birth wasn't a "good" birth. Or they feel like I'm saying that I'm better than them because I'm having a natural birth. And I honestly don't want anyone to think those things.
  • I'm planning to birth without access to pain relief medicine, in an out of hospital environment. There will be oxygen if I need it, and pitocin and other hemorrhage stopping drugs for after labor if needed. I would consider this a natural birth or med free birth. I usually say med free when someone asks because "natural" feels so hippy dippy and judgmental.

For me a natural birth is one that runs the natural course. No augmentation. No anesthetics or narcotics. Natural pain relief through water, massage, relaxation and movement mostly. I wish there was a word for a pitocin induced birth with no pain relief - because that is (from what I have seen personally) so much worse than a natural labor. It should be called a super hero birth, honestly! With contractions practically one on top of the other and confined to a bed. I don't consider this natural or med-free though because obviously meds were given and that sort of pain is not part of natural labor. It really does need it's own title for how awesome it is for anyone who is able to do it.

In common usage, most women consider "natural birth" as just refusing the epidural. At least where I live that is the norm. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! You have been so helpful to start educating me, and I have some more reading to do. One more question - where can I learn about all of the drugs you've mentioned and their "purpose" in birth?
  • It's funny that natural is seen as offensive (though I can certainly understand that view point.  To a mother that has to have a c-section, her birth is no less natural to her).  Our Bradley instructor said she doesn't like the word "natural" because of all the different interpretations, so she prefers the word "normal."  Which just cracks me up, because isn't "normal" equally as problematic?  

Anyway, to me, natural basically means no pain meds & pitocin.  If I need antibiotics or need my membranes stripped for some reason, to me those are still low-intervention.

I agree with others - if you're starting with zero knowledge, watch The Business of Being Born and read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth.  Both were excellent.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Well if we are really going to get picky with terms, no birth can be "natural" according to Merriam-Webster as the definition is "existing in nature; not made or caused by people". I'm pretty sure I made my kid and I'm a person.  :P Unless you go by the third definition given which is "usual or expected" in which case a scheduled c-section would be the most natural form of labor since it's the most expected.  Usually Natural Birth is used as the medical term (which I gave above), but if you go off that then anyone who did not take a birthing class that taught natural pain management also did not have a Natural Birth.  Which is ridiculous.  So the term is both outdated and not corrct as far as definition.  BUT it's a lot easier to say in conversation than "I would like to have an intervention and med-free vaginal birth".  And I think most people understand what you are saying if you use that term.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• @JCWhitey‌, we'll shoot! I was so confident in my feelings toward using the word natural because of the definition. I just interpreted it as "human made" being surgery or synthetic drugs. Not human making a baby. And I never thought about the third definition relating to c-sections being the expected outcome therefor they are the "natural" option. You've twisted my world around. I guess I'll use the mouthful, medication-free, low intervention, vaginal birth. Here's hoping I pull it off, no matter what it's called.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"