Special Needs

I'm confused re: grades

DS' progress report came in, and there is something that is standing out, "Classroom Conduct.". This new "grade" had to have been implimented after I graduated from college, because I never heard of this.

I'm just curious how a school/teacher can grade a child whose disability is impacting their score?

I received the report after the evaluation was submitted - last week.
photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I'm confused re: grades

• DS has/had of these "conduct" indicators on his report card/progress report. Ours were more specific, like "Contributes to Class Discussion"; "Completes work independently." These are all areas where DS struggles mightily, but I want to know how he's doing "in the real world." I don't care if he gets "bad scores",  because at least I can gauge where he's at vis a vis other typical kids in his class. In our school you can't "fail" based on any of these. There's no letter grades yet, just 1-5 number scores. DS was getting 2's in a lot of his behavior indicators at the beginning of the year in kindy and I was happy to see everything improved to at least 3's by the end of the year.

You make a good point though- and I'll probably pay more attention as he gets older to make sure there aren't any negative consequences associated with low-performing behavior scores.

• We received conduct grades in elementary back in the 80's so it is definitely not new. Our k report card has a slew of "learning skills and behaviors" standards that we report. Unless the IEP contains behavior specific goals or modifications, the child's behavior is reported in terms of age appropriate expectations. Just as the academic expectations progress through the year, so do the expectations for learning skills and behaviors. I cannot modify academic or learning skills/behavior reporting unless it is specified in an IEP.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"