Working Moms
Options

Time Management

Virgo17Virgo17 member
edited October 2014 in Working Moms
I thought this article was interesting since we all seem to have more things to do than time to do them.  I am a master of to-do lists, but scheduling everything seems like a good strategy I will try to employ.

What are your time management tips?

Re: Time Management

• Options
    I schedule everything on my work outlook calendar (things like "register for Girl Scouts" and "grocery shop" appear in the evenings).  I like having a snapshot of everything on my list in one place.  I also have a paper family calendar hanging in the kitchen (extra large boxes with one row for each of us on each day).  With five schedules, two careers, activities, friends and sports it is the only thing that keeps us sane.  The kids are limited to one sport and one activity outside of school each; I do not count church groups or activities that happen only on the school campus immediately after school in that tally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hijacking this thread. @2chatter - can you post a link to the type of calendar you have?

Also if anyone else has a family on-the-wall calendar they really like can you please post a picture or a link? I would like something that's a bit on the pretty side and could be worked into the decor so to speak. But really all ideas would be appreciated. TIA.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is the one I have:

https://www.calendars.com/Family-Plan-it-Plus-2015-Wall-Calendar/prod201500003219/?categoryId=cat00152&cm_mmc=google-_-Product_Extensions-_-products-_-201500003219&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=201500003219&gclid=CNPB5Mfgi8ECFQqGaQodkikA6Q&kwid=productads-plaid^83512051282-sku^201500003219-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^48992020522

It started in September 2014.  It has a pocket (great for party invites/flyers/etc).  It isn't labeled "mom".  I refused to buy one that was labeled "mom" as I don't see the family calendar as my job just because I happen to have girl parts.  If DH fails to put something on the calendar and there's a conflict, he has to resolve it.  Not my job. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tas1883 said:

My parents used to have a big dry erase board and everyone had our own color marker so everything was color coded from no school days, doctors, practices and games, to work schedules as we got older.  

This is what I do.  DH loves his google calendars, but I prefer to have it right in front of me.  Works well for our nanny, too.  
  • Options
    I use an old school paper planner because writing things down for me is more "real" than typing it into an electronic calendar.  I do, however, also use Cozi so that my husband and I can share a calendar.

At home, I use this form Post-It.  I like that it doesn't have dates and I can use it either as a monthly or weekly with a row for each family member.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I have a gazillion calendars; Outlook and paper calendar at work, phone calendar in my purse, wall calendar in my bedroom closet and mudroom.  I also use a white board in the mudroom that outlines the next three upcoming family events.

I like his angle of scheduling everything vs a To-Do list.  However, I use to-do list also, and whatever doesn't get done is moved to another day.  I also merge personal and work functions together on all of my calendars (except phone, unless it's a major work thing.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    Thank you for post. I do stick to the big stuff. from the car to the building I ask myself what few things must get done by the end of the day and because of that I have to prioritize that over non-essential meetings and emails. But I am terrible at scheduling, because I hate it, it is too restrictive for me... But the downside of not scheduling is rolling my entire calendar in my head constantly and is probably a big source of me waking up at all hours thinking about the most inane to-dos. So starting tomorrow I am going to keep a high-level schedule and see if I begin sleeping better. My current time management items. Sometimes I schedule a conference room for myself so I can work without interruption. I begin my day alone with coffee for about 30 minutes so I can think about what is ahead that day.
  • Options
    @2chatter - thanks! I liked it and ordered it from Amazon. So excited - organizing things makes me happy :P
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for this! I make to do lists all the time and they take forever to get done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"