December 2014 Moms

Failed birth control

2»

Re: Failed birth control

• Slaps said:
    For the pill to be effective it should be taken every day at the SAME time. If you don't do that, you are not taking your birth control correctly and there could be an "oopsy!" So, I really think it depends on how accurately people are taking it...... Now, my best friend did get pregnant with her 2nd while she had an IUD. However, the IUD had come out and was just dangling so it wasn't actually in place when it happened. Still, I consider that a legitimate oopsy!!
    When I first was going on the pill, it was only the mini pill that you had to take at the same time daily, the normal pill could be taken at any time of the day.

I don't know about that @Slaps - I have always been told by Mom, sex-ed teachers, doctors, pharmacists, etc. that in order for the birth control pill to be effective as advertised you need to take every day at the same time.

Also, I have never heard of this mini-pill that some of you have mentioned... how do you have a mini-pill?? Is it less effective??

• A nurse that I worked with had four babies on four different forms of birth control. Sge was definitely using it properly and everything. After the fourth she got her tubes tied to be done with it. Some folks are just hyper fertile. Just like some people can do everything under the sun and not get pregnant. Nothing is a guarantee.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This baby was just meant to be seeing as we were on the pill taken properly and used condoms every single time! So just a blessing baby! We were that small percent that our birth control failed. But we got the best gift out of it.
  • With ds#1, I was on the pill for about 6 months and lost a ton of weight because it made me ill. I went off of it for a month and switched to the nuvaring. Within that month of starting the nuvaring, I got pregnant.  Turned out to be an amazing surprise. 

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Slaps said:

Slaps said:

Rileymom1 said:

For the pill to be effective it should be taken every day at the SAME time. If you don't do that, you are not taking your birth control correctly and there could be an "oopsy!" So, I really think it depends on how accurately people are taking it......

Now, my best friend did get pregnant with her 2nd while she had an IUD. However, the IUD had come out and was just dangling so it wasn't actually in place when it happened. Still, I consider that a legitimate oopsy!!

When I first was going on the pill, it was only the mini pill that you had to take at the same time daily, the normal pill could be taken at any time of the day.

I don't know about that @Slaps - I have always been told by Mom, sex-ed teachers, doctors, pharmacists, etc. that in order for the birth control pill to be effective as advertised you need to take every day at the same time.

Also, I have never heard of this mini-pill that some of you have mentioned... how do you have a mini-pill?? Is it less effective??

The mini pill is the one where you take for the full 28 days, and not have the 7 day break like the normal pill.
    I am beginning to think maybe birth control is different in the uk to. Lol

I haven't taken the pill since my mid 20's but back then they did tell me every day at the same time or there were no guarantees. I'm pretty sure it's in the very teeny tiny fine print within the medical/side effect info they give you too.
  • KSwitz011 said:

We had two 'surprises'.

Our first one was us purely being irresponsible. DS was 6 months and we didn't use any birth control the two times we had sex that month. = me pregnant. DH was happy because he always wanted his kids close together. It took me some time to get used to the idea of having another baby so fast.

This LO was an epic birth control fail. I had an iud and it was still in place. We found out I was pregnant four days before DH's vasectomy appt. Needless to say, the hugest surprise of our life. We call him our miracle baby... And we are both now so happy to be an IUD fail statistic, lol.

We also got pregnant with an IUD in place. Had Paragaurd for only a year and a half.
  • Slaps said:

I don't understand why the Drs don't tell you about antibiotics and the pill, in the uk every time they give you them they tell you, and when you go to the chemist to pick up your prescription the chemist will tell you again.

This risk is actually not all that real. There was one antibiotic used to treat TB a long time ago called rifampin that did interfere with BC. That's really the only one that's been proven to do that. Doctors just started warning about it with all antibiotics to be on the safe side. There is no solid evidence that other antibiotics have this effect.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well, my story is not "failed birth control" exactly. MH and I were each other's first and after 8 years, we never even had a real scare. I was on the pill for a while and then switched to Nuva ring a couple years ago. we had been married almost a year when we started talking seriously about having a baby. We decided that it was time to get off my bc because I figured it would take a while to get pregnant due to NO previous scares or anything. We also didn't want to consider it "trying" but more like letting God take control. Well, my last period was the first of March and my first EVER pregnancy test was taken April 6 (VERY faint line) after taking about 10 pregnancy tests over the span of a week or two we confirmed that we were expecting just shy of our 1 year anniversary. I guess you could call me fertile myrtle. Haha quite the opposite of what we expected to happen. I just wanted to share our story with y'all. My doctor said that this is actually pretty common. We can't wait to meet our DD in a few months!!
  • Slaps said:

smack427 said:

Well, my story is not "failed birth control" exactly. MH and I were each other's first and after 8 years, we never even had a real scare. I was on the pill for a while and then switched to Nuva ring a couple years ago. we had been married almost a year when we started talking seriously about having a baby. We decided that it was time to get off my bc because I figured it would take a while to get pregnant due to NO previous scares or anything. We also didn't want to consider it "trying" but more like letting God take control. Well, my last period was the first of March and my first EVER pregnancy test was taken April 6 (VERY faint line) after taking about 10 pregnancy tests over the span of a week or two we confirmed that we were expecting just shy of our 1 year anniversary. I guess you could call me fertile myrtle. Haha quite the opposite of what we expected to happen. I just wanted to share our story with y'all. My doctor said that this is actually pretty common. We can't wait to meet our DD in a few months!!

What does
    smack427 said:

Well, my story is not "failed birth control" exactly. MH and I were each other's first and after 8 years, we never even had a real scare. I was on the pill for a while and then switched to Nuva ring a couple years ago. we had been married almost a year when we started talking seriously about having a baby. We decided that it was time to get off my bc because I figured it would take a while to get pregnant due to NO previous scares or anything. We also didn't want to consider it "trying" but more like letting God take control. Well, my last period was the first of March and my first EVER pregnancy test was taken April 6 (VERY faint line) after taking about 10 pregnancy tests over the span of a week or two we confirmed that we were expecting just shy of our 1 year anniversary. I guess you could call me fertile myrtle. Haha quite the opposite of what we expected to happen. I just wanted to share our story with y'all. My doctor said that this is actually pretty common. We can't wait to meet our DD in a few months!!

Well this doesn't really belong here then does it.
    I was answering OP's question about "surprise" babies and bc. It was still a surprise to us considering we thought I was going to have a difficult time getting pregnant especially since it wasn't even a month after I removed the ring. Another posted had a similar answer so I thought it was appropriate.
  • Mine was a heat of the moment thing. We were totally going to get a condom eventually. He pulled out a little too late apparently. Oops.

• We had two losses last year. We decided to try for another 6 months and then go to an RE. February was our last month of trying and had a BFN. In March, we didn't try at all because I was tired and had given up. I didn't track when I ovulated. Big surprise when that was the month that worked. It was the best surprise of my life and I am crying just thinking about it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Bear with me, I've never been on birth control and we were actively trying but this baby was still a surprise!  

I was on the same regimen of fertility medicines that I used to conceive my son.  Except this time I overstimulated.  I found out by ultrasound that I had more than four mature follicles and we canceled the cycle (no trigger shot to induce ovulation)...so we thought.  I took a pregnancy test two weeks later so that I could get yet another BFN and start my next cycle.  To my surprise, it was positive!  I was in disbelief and had to take a second one immediately.  Apparently we didn't cancel the cycle soon enough as we did the deed the day before the ultrasound!  I still can't believe I'm 29 weeks pregnant.  This was truly meant to be.  

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• Our story might be a little TMI, but I am gong to tell it anyways :)

We used a condom, but when he pulled out when all was said and done I heard an "uh..uh-oh" Turns out through all the excitement it slipped off and got stuck very far up inside me. I told him to go get a Plan B pill while I tried to fish it out. Took the "99%" effective Plan B pill within an hour of the oops, and here I am 6 months pregnant with a very special little boy and couldn't be happier. Believe me, it was a shock at first though lol
  • My favorite type of pizza is mushroom and black olive. Oh my bad, I thought this was a thread of things not related to failed birth control.

Not sure if this was directed at my post, but not trying was my birth control.
  • This isn't my surprise baby story, but kinda related.

One of my close friends called to tell me that she was getting married and having a baby. She then said that she was on the pill and he wore a condom and it was her first time ever. A few minutes after hanging up, my mom called and my friend's mom had called her with the same baby making story verbatim. It has always cracked me up that they had obviously worked out their story to tell people. And telling me who knew that last part wasn't true. Oh and we were 30 at the time. Sorry, it's not quite on topic.
  • Mine was an oops but a pretty pathetic one. I haven't been on the pill since DH and I were just dating because I realized the hormones make me crazy. But I immediately told him when I went off of it and we had been using the good ol' fashioned pull out method ever since.

Last year I decided I wanted to give egg donation a try and after I had been chosen by a set of intended parents the lab took me in and did all the tests to make sure I was in top shape to donate. After not hearing from the agency for several weeks I called them and was told (with a ton of unnecessary hostility may I add) that not only was I disqualified this specific donation but that I had been removed from the donor pool altogether because my egg count came back extremely low. They then told me that I myself would have a very difficult time ever trying to conceive. Rude.

Needless to say we weren't all too concerned about getting pregnant after getting that news. DH decided to stop pulling out and we'd see how true their prediction was. Meanwhile I was convincing myself it was not our time for a baby yet so I started tracking my cycle and using the rhythm method (I know, pretty weak excuses for birth control) just in case.

Well obviously DH's intentions of TTC were successful over my efforts to delay it and we ended up conceiving when my trusty chart said not a chance. But hey, I couldn't be more grateful- that hateful donor agency turned out to be very wrong, timing has fallen into place perfectly around LO's arrival, and although I did cry when we found out I was pregnant I am so embarrassed to admit it now because I'm beyond ecstatic to be meeting my little girl right in time for my birthday!
  • Yikes, sorry for the novel everyone...
  • @rshamos‌ I honestly didn't even see your post until after I posted mine. My comment was not meant as anything but sarcastic anyway. We never stay on topic. If we had an on topic police we'd all get tickets.

The world revolves around me, duh! It is always about me! And, oddly enough, mushroom and black olive is mine too.
  • We had two 'surprises'. Our first one was us purely being irresponsible. DS was 6 months and we didn't use any birth control the two times we had sex that month. = me pregnant. DH was happy because he always wanted his kids close together. It took me some time to get used to the idea of having another baby so fast. This LO was an epic birth control fail. I had an iud and it was still in place. We found out I was pregnant four days before DH's vasectomy appt. Needless to say, the hugest surprise of our life. We call him our miracle baby... And we are both now so happy to be an IUD fail statistic, lol.
    We also got pregnant with an IUD in place. Had Paragaurd for only a year and a half.
    I had my iud for a year and a half too. I'm actually surprised at how many times I've heard of people getting pregnant with an iud still in place.
    You guys are scaring me! I was totally going to get paraguard after this baby :-SS
    Ditto! I decided (haven't discussed with doctor yet) that I was going to try the IUD thing after this baby since I have proven my inability to take the birth control pill properly in the past and have had issues with NuvaRing (it seriously makes me a crazy emotional psycho bish!) and the Patch (made me puke every morning when I first tried as a teen).  But now I am reconsidering.... SO and I definitely want more kids eventually but not for at least 3-4 years.
  • ColeyCannoliColeyCannoli member
    edited October 2014
    Age seems to have played a role with me. I became pregnant while I was on Nuva ring and using condoms at 22. We were nervous but happy about it. Sadly, I miscarried and it sucked so much I went on an IUD and decided not to try again for a long time. Fast forward 5 years and we decided to make a conscious effort to start a family. It took 9 months of actively trying to get our LO. I know that's not crazy long considering those who deal with infertility but I just did not think it would take that long when it was so easy the first time. But at least that extra effort has resulted in a healthy pregnancy that is still going strong at 31 weeks! Fertility is weird.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

• I was on the Nuvaring before getting pregnant. My cycles had become completely messed up (lasting 3+ weeks) and my doctor took me off of the ring for a month to let it cycle out of my system.

Exactly 3 days after taking out the ring, we conceived. It's not totally failed BC but considering it takes a couple of weeks for the hormones to get out of your system, we were very surprised (but totally happy)!

I also wonder if fertility is hereditary. My mom wasn't supposed to be able to have kids and I was a happy accident when she was 33 and had my sister when she was 40.

We are absolutely thrilled with our little surprise :)
  • My IUD was awesome. I had Paragard for over 5 years and it worked like a charm. Had it removed and was pregnant 1.5 months later.
  • I had a Plan B pregnancy that I miscarried years ago. Probably user error, I threw up hours after taking it but convinced myself it had stayed down long enough. After that I was on BC for 6 straight years with no scares. We were lucky and got pregnant within months of trying with this little guy.

My cousin's wife got pregnant after he had a vasectomy (he never went back for his follow up) he calls the kid his "little statistic"
  • Well this whole thread is making my decision to get my tubes tied a very solid one!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • I got pregnant on lo estron fe when I took it religiously.

:( resulted in my previous loss (ectopic).

BabyGaga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• perfectlove09perfectlove09 member
    edited October 2014
    nesenotes said:

Well this whole thread is making my decision to get my tubes tied a very solid one!

So I couldn't read all 4 pages but was skimming through before I posted. My husbands best friend since kindergarten, was conceived after his mother had her tubes tied...
    I think the only thing worse than going through such a final decision and major surgery and then not having it work,...is being the kid who knows his mom had her tubes tied before he was conceived.

I'll never understand the logic of parents telling their kids things like this.

The other day at work I was showing a woman a home. She had her 2 year old with her. She told me, in front of her daughter, that they were done after the first 2 girls they had and was on bc when she got pregnant with the little one she was with. And then proceeded to say "luckily the other two are in school now but I still have to deal with this one". Um...HELLO!?!? She's not deaf you insensitive ass. And sure...she may not understand completely what all was being said but I can almost guarantee you that if this woman talks like this now, she's not going to stop. And to even say those things out loud in front of her daughter tells me she exudes that feeling to her as well.

I thought it was sad.

Way off topic lol
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • I havent read other comments, but I was TTC for 4 years, they told me to give up, so we did. I went on the patch to regulate my shit, and ended up pregnant almost immediately with #1.

#2 took more fertility treatments, no BC this time.
  • amw0914 said:

Slaps said:

amw0914 said:

Okay after reading this thread I just want to make sure that everyone is aware that pulling out is NOT legitimate birth control?

Right?!?

It isn't!!!!
    =))
    I was pretty sure I learned that in sex ed when I was 14 but just wanted to make sure...
    Hey, it totally works until it doesn't...

Not to mention all the guys that think they're
  • It's kind of a roller coaster so bear with me...

I stopped getting my periods completely early last year while on BC. I stopped taking the pill last summer after too many tests, scans, and appointments for doctors to finally conclude that they "had no idea what was going on". They said everything would work itself back out in a few months and I did start getting my period again but roughly 60 days apart. I waited it out until April hoping it'd start to become more normal, but after nothing changed I went to a new doctor to see if we could get to the bottom of something because DH and I were wanting to start TTC at the end of this year. We had this whole big long appointment about how infrequently I was ovulating, how it was more than likely going to cause problems for us getting pregnant, and different things she was going to look into and what they could mean. They ordered blood work and an ultrasound since she was leaning heavily towards PCOS based on some other problems I was having and then low and behold 2 days later when I went in for the ultrasound they found out I was 5 weeks 4 days pregnant. This was after 3 home pregnancy tests came back negative and two different doctors offices tested and it came back negative. The only other place it actually showed up that I was pregnant was in my blood work that they got back the following week (we had a little party when the doctor called me to give me the results!!).

Needless to say it was quite a shocker and a lot to have to wrap your head around so soon after beginning to wrap your head around the idea of having nothing but problems ahead of you and it took a long time for me to come to terms with everything being so sudden (while dealing with hormones too of course). But I think a surprise for us was the best thing...I don't know if I would have ever felt "ready" enough to start trying and I'm too logical to do things without feeling completely ready so it could never have ended well. That decision needed to be taken out of my hands completely!! Which is pretty funny because when we try to pinpoint when we slipped up it definitely comes back on me...lets just say I think I need to work on my dismount!! I don't think I'd have it any other way though...we're definitely looking forward to having a baby in December instead of starting to try to have a baby in December!!!  :x

Anniversary

• chappsriverachappsrivera member
    edited October 2014
    @krystrist2014‌
    I had a para guard for five years and never had a scare. Once I had it taken out, I got pregnant in 3 months, miscarried, then got pregnant the very next cycle. (So no fertility issues this year!) I plan on going back! It was the easiest bc ever!
  • I was put on the "mini pill" after our son was born. Took it exactly as directed. I was tracking periods to see if they had normalized (they had) and found out I was pregnant 5 months after having my first baby. Sex occurred well (at least 10 days) after ovulation, and on the pill - shouldn't have gotten pregnant but I guess some babies are just supposed to happen? Definitely must have a purpose to accomplish!

PSA: don't trust the mini pill. Three of the doctors I've seen immediately ask if I was on it and when I say yes, the response is "that happened to me too!" Strongly considering an IUD
  • My BFP was a surprise even though we have wanted to get pregnant at some point. Long story short, I had two m/cs before this BFP. I wanted a break from TTC to regain some sense of normalcy. I don't use BC because I had used it to regulate my period in the past and it just made me very moody. Anyway, DH and I had sex only once since the second m/c and I hadn't even gotten my period yet making me think I probably wouldnt ovulate right away but obviously I was wrong. When I tested positive, it was less than a month after I had been to the gyno. for my m/c and ALL of the doctors and nurses were shocked that I got pregnant so fast again!! I had mixed emotions at first because I really didn't feel emotionally ready if I were to have another m/c but once I passed my milestone of 10 1/2 weeks things started getting better. Now we are just thrilled :-)
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• So my story isn't about birth control. I have been with my husband for 20 years. Next week we celebrate our ten year wedding anniversary. I was on the pill the first 6 years and condoms were uncomfortable so we used the pull out method the last 14 years. We always figured if it happened it would happen. We actively tried for about 9 months a couple years ago but when finances went south we went back to pull out method. We have had plenty of oopsies along the way and had pretty much convinced ourselves it was not in the cards for us since none of these have resulted in a PG. We still celebrate two anniversaries so on our 20th anniversary in early 
    April this year we said forget it, let's enjoy it. Well, fast forward to today 27 weeks 3 days. So I guess the moral is never think your infertile unless you are ready to be PG. We are excited and overwhelmed but it is the best gift. 

• Mine was a surprise, but not a true surprise, if that makes sense. We had heat of the moment unprotected sex twice when I thought I had already long since ovulated. So it's still "I was stupid, so I shouldn't be surprised" but still surprised that I got actually pregnant. Here's to hoping my crazy ex reads this and stops telling my 3 year old I tricked my unborn baby's dad into getting me pregnant. (xoxoxoxo ex).

M born 1/6/09 - A born 12/31/10 - baby BOY RCS 12/2/14 

image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"