Parenting

Spouse first or kids first?

ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
edited September 2014 in Parenting
Not talking about feeding them or basic life care- a general sense of top billing, if you will
Formerly known as elmoali :)

Spouse first or kids first? 308 votes

I put my spouse first
27% 86 votes
I put my kids first
72% 223 votes

Re: Spouse first or kids first?

• Forced choice! :)  The "cheating cheaters who cheat" post gave no wiggle room for situational answers so I didn't either:

10. Putting your children before your spouse

Kids matter. They are very important people in your life, but not more important than your spouse. If you knock your spouse off the top of your priority list you are not showing total fidelity to him or her. Your mate must come first. Not only does it cement your marriage and make it stronger, it gives your children the best security blanket they will ever have.

• Loading the player...
  •  I am confused. Like...emotionally? Or...? I said kid b/c right now, we are his whole world and it's our first, so obviously we are both focusing more on him than each other.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @mcbenny absolutely!  I do agree with you on that and I know my pole is fully of holes lol  I just really hated that part of the cheater list.  It was so absolute and that just ain't how the real world works.

• I will live with DH until we die, I will live with my children for approximately 18 years. He comes first because if he doesn't, I can't imagine what we'd do after the kids move out.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• @mcbenny I brought it up as a general comment that some people take the "God first, spouse second, children third" thing to what I think is an extreme, just like the author of that article did but in a different way.  Just because my kids are my #1 doesn't mean I'm cheating or at risk of cheating, kwim?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • In theory, I would put my husband first... but I find that difficult to do. As pps have said - I think a good, healthy marriage is one of the best things we can give our kids, but in order to achieve that you need to put the time and effort into it. But I don't think for one second that putting your kids before your spouse is "cheating". That's ludicrous.

Also, I think everything is situational. There will be times when your kid(s) needs to be first...there will be times when your husband needs to be first...and there will be times when YOU need to be first.

• edited September 2014
    It is such a complicated question, which is why it's stupid how it's portrayed in the cheater article

When you have children, you absolutely should not stop being a spouse and you need to work at keeping your marriage healthy -- because that is also for the sake of your children, really.  Portraying a strong and healthy partnership, ideally keeping the marriage in tact, etc...that benefits us AND our children

However, if it became life or death, or my spouse is bringing toxicity into the household that could harm our children and myself.... or a million other reasons that might pop up that I'm not going to list out... absolutely my children come first.  Their health, well being, safety come first.  H and I should BOTH put that first.

So really, if we want to put it into a simplistic answer, children should come first... in the sense that, we keep our marriage strong for both the sake of us AND our children (which yes sometimes means favoring the spouses' needs over the child's desires or less critical needs dependent on the situation), and also put their well-being/health/safety first before each other.

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • As a general rule, kids first. This is an agreement between my husband and I. 

In an emergency, we get to our kids before each other. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  •  

mcg1119 said:
    It's not so black and white. We still have an infant, so her needs are greater than ours at the moment. I do want to put my husband first, though. I've seen people lose who they are after they become parents, and I don't want that to happen. Growing up, I always knew my parents loved each other. They had a relationship aside from the fact they were our parents. When I went to college they missed me, but had so much fun together. They built forts in the living room and watched romantic movies together, they went on trips. After 41 years of marriage, they were still madly in love when she died last year. If I want that for myself years from now, DH and I need to foster our relationship outside of being parents.

I think I learned this from my parents too. And I never felt like I wasn't a priority as their child.

I think it also helped me to know that the world didn't revolve around me - because everyone had to learn that lesson eventually.

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• edited September 2014
  • For me, my kids are my #1.  That doesn't mean I don't take my husband into consideration but I've always felt like DH is part of my life, my kids are part of ME.  

This is where I'm at. I grew my LO and still nourish him. He's a little piece of me walking around.

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • mcbenny said:

I wouldn't say it like that but you don't stop being a spouse when you have kids and I feel some people do that. They lose themselves in being a parent and stop being a friend and a mate to the spouse. The best gift I can give my children is for them to see their parents respecting each other and that means how the other one feels and their needs. I don't want anyone to feel put on the back burner.

+1  I have friends who make little to no time for their spouse.  Their days are crammed with soccer practice, ballet. karate, scouts etc.  They get dinner on the table and get up and do it again the next day.  Alone time with your spouse is very important.  I try to encourage my friends to do it.  I even offer to babysit for some of them.  
  • I don't think this is a question of 'who would you save from a burning building', rather about where your priorities are.
    My kids are a huge part of my world, but they are not my entire world. They need help meeting their needs so clearly that is what we spend time doing.
    But they are not always going to be this young, or even live at home. However, I want to be with hubby 'till death do us part,' so I make him/us a priority too. I need his help, to be his partner and his equal.
    I know I am not the best of mothers when hubby and I aren't doing well, and that we function much better as a family when we are more connected.
    I voted hubby, but that doesn't mean my kids get shafted
  • How do people answer this question?? I don't know, it feels impossible to choose, I just think balance is important.
  • I agree with @mcbenny and other pp who said spouse but that the burning building wouldn't matter because my spouse would want me to save our dd before him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"