Baby Names
Options

My new nephew

I feel like my brother and SIL are making a huge mistake in naming their son.  They told me this weekend that they're going with Dax.ley.  Yall...that's not a name!  Dax, sure.  But Dax.ley?!  He's not my child, so I know I have no sayso in his name, but I still feel very strongly that it's not a solid choice.  Any thoughts on  whether or not I should bring it up to them?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: My new nephew

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

There's noting really to bring up. 

But I agree with you.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it depends on the relationship. I am close enough with my sister and sisters-in-law to nicely say something like "Oh, it is really cute. For what it's worth, I think Dax stands great on it's own, or even Dexter would be a cool option if you want a longer name...I think the "Lee/Ley" ending is unfortunately being used only on girls now..." You could also mention how a lot of nicknames are now commonly given as full names - Jack, Max, Luke, etc. Dax is a name all on it's own - like Dax Shepard. 

I don't love Dax but would suggest more masculine made up options like Daxton. For the record I hate Daxton and Daxley equally but for a boy I think Daxton sounds way less girly. It's like Jaxon vs. Jaxley - Jaxley I would assume is a girl.

Ultimately it is their decision and I definitely wouldn't be cruel or say you don't like their choice. But offering some similar options they may not have thought of while still saying "it's cute, but..." could save that little boy from having a horrible name. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Just adding - I think the main thing is to always be really positive about their choice and not cruel. You can add food for thought but just end with "whatever you choose, it will be perfect! I can't wait to meet him!"
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    MYOB. Their kid, their choice
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the feedback.  None of my business really.  I'll love him to pieces, regardless of his name!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LeahB12 said:

Daxley is awful, but unless they ask your opinion, don't say anything. Like you said, he's not your child. You will love him despite his name. Ugh, Daxley is seriously bad though.

This. My family has some pretty bad choices in names but I always just smile and say "oh that's nice" lol
  • Options
    ClaryPax said:

That conversation could go badly.  I would not say anything.  Can you at least call him Dax?  I would just do that and try to forget about Daxly. 

Hopefully!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"