November 2014 Moms
Options

Outdoor Carseat Cover?

So maybe this goes in the "FTM, dumb questions" thread but I have a random question for you ladies....So I was web browsing on Nordstrom and found two covers for our Mesa car seat.  One is an all weather shield and one is a rain shield.  Is this something I should buy?  I dont plan on spending significant time outdoors in inclement weather, however I am in the Northeast and we do get a fair amount of precipitation in the winter.  Do I need this or just throw a blanket over LO's car seat, going in and out of stores, if its raining/snowing??? 

BabyFetus Ticker
EDD 11.16.14 :)

Re: Outdoor Carseat Cover?

• Options
    because of the cold weather while baby is so small you should have some sort of car seat cover-like the ones that go on just like a shower cap. it doesn't need to be specific to any one car seat, they're universal and not very expensive. they will usually have a flap over the face opening so that you can close it if it's raining or snowing. a cover specific to your seat or a specific rain shield is not necessary. the shower cap like covers zipper so that you don't have to take the cover off to get baby in and out and you can usually place a blanket over the baby so that it rests between the cover and baby. that's what i would suggest. ours so happens to have an NHL logo on it, which is funny because i make it a point to keep our sports related clothing to the bare minimum and hockey is really all i am ok with having on hand. it's probably tacky to have an NHL cover, but, meh. it does its job and pales in comparison to the football gear that people deck their kids out in.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    A blanket works just fine.  And usually the shade thing does a good job of covering all the parts of the baby that aren't covered by clothes or a blanket, aka the face.  I would tuck a blanket around DS like a burrito, pull the shade as far as it goes and he was fine.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  AND MAJOR preg brain moment...I do have a jj cole showercap style car seat cover, of course that would work in the rain/snow!  What am I thinking....Maybe its time for a nap... 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    PP makes another good point. i had almost zero issues with strangers trying to touch DS when he was little. between the cover only showing his face and the city mini having him so high up (rather than lower to the ground, like most travel systems and snap and go's) that people really didn't try to touch him. i didn't have to put one of those snarky signs on the car seat telling people not to touch him, it just naturally happened. maybe i just lucked out, but i felt that the cover really helped. i would even keep the flap down a lot of the time if he was sleeping so that he would sleep longer and people wouldn't even stop to look at him since there was nothing to see. 
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• Options
    Stranger danger shield - i like it!!!! :)  One of my friends who had a summer baby kept her mosquito net around the carrier anytime she went for a walk, just to keep gross hands away from her baby.  Such a good idea!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I thought the covers were dangerous and a blanket was best? 

• Options
    In terms of safety - we just had our car seat safety class and the officer said the "bundle me" version was unsafe, as it goes between the car seat and the baby, but the shower cap style is ok.  That same officer also noted the pull down sun shades and rear view facing mirrors were baby killers, since they would become projectiles in the event of a car crash - just a side note and something I hadnt considered before the class.  

This is the shower cap style cover we bought:

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm getting the rain cover and the bug cover. I got stung by bees over the summer and had forgotten how much it hurts. I was allergic as a child so am going to take precautions to keep my baby from being stung. I figure the money is worth it.
    It's a girl! Due November 22, 2014
  • Options
    I made a carseat cover for LO, but mostly to keep out sun and nosy people. The fact that it will also keep her a little warmer and drier is a bonus. I won't bother with a big cover just because I doubt LO will still be in the bucket seat by the time the weather is warm enough for it. Aside from going from the car to the door I doubt we'll be spending much time outside, but I can always pick one up later if I decide we need it. I do have a bug cover for the stroller because that will be used in warm weather.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"