Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Metformin and PCOS

Hey ladies and gents!
I have PCOS and am trying to conceive. To make this process a little easier, has anyone else taken metformin while trying to conceive? I've been on it for a week and got a period today! (Excited for a period is rare) but In this case trying to conceive having a period is good thing! I'm ovulating! What is everyones experience from metformin?

Re: Metformin and PCOS

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My RE said it takes around 6 months for Metformin to work. It did nothing for me (prescribed by my OB) and my RE took me off of it because I'm not insulin resistant.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    dazdareisdazdareis member
    edited September 2014
    I have PCOS but I am not taking Metformin for regulating my cycles, I'm taking it to regulate blood sugar after multiple losses, so I can't give any advice on it. I can say that it does take anywhere from 2-6 months for it to really start being effective though.

Edit: words
  • Options
    I took metformin for 6 months, and it didn't get my period going but I did lose some weight. Like others have said it takes a while to get going in your body. 
    Me: 24 
    DH:25
    TTC for over a year with PCOS. We'll see what happens. 
    November 3 2014-finally going to see an RE!

Favorite villain: Alex from A Clockwork Orange
  • Options
    I had to stop metformin because I have a job where running to the toilet isn't permitted.... (something about leaving 30 teenage girls alone in a science laboratory)...

I also did lose weight but its because I wasn't actually digesting anything before it came back out
  • Options
    I take metformin and it's worked well for me. I went from cycles that were 50-75 days long, or ones that were anovulatory that I had to end with provera, to a fairly normal 28-32 day ovulatory cycle.

Unfortunately, taking metformin during my first trimester did not prevent me from having a miscarriage. 

Formerly Aaren91011
    Trying for baby #1 since July 2013  -  DX: PCOS
    BFP: 2/27/14 - EDD 11/11/14 - MMC 4/21/14 @ 11w (stopped growing @ 9w)
    TTA until January
  • Options
    Additional Question: post my refusal to take metformin anymore the doc had me monitor blood glucose and I was always borderline low with the rare exception of a stupid carb overload (got crazy from a typical 68-80 to maxing out at 110 on rare occasion)... because I had no extremes they were not suspect... 

(took me too long to post due to stupid US conversions

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"