April 2014 Moms
Options

How often do you use LO's middle name?

We call our kids by their first and middle names so often that if DD1 is asked about her or her siblings' names, she responds with both. I was raised by a mom who liked using middle names too, so I assumed this was common, but maybe not?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How often do you use LO's middle name?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD1 I use it when she's causing trouble, not listening or not responding. DD2, never, though I assume I will as she gets bigger.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Options
    I use it when he's acting crazy or I want to get his attention.

• Options
    Not yet. Probably when she is in trouble
  • Options
    Middle name will only be used when she's in trouble or very close to being in trouble.

I grew up with the length of my name correlating to the amount of trouble I was in. My parents called me "Jenny" so my first warning was being called "Jennifer" (to this day if someone calls me Jennifer my immediate thought is "I'm in trouble"). Then the middle name got added. If I got my full name I knew I was in trouble.
  • Options
    Never. He'll hear it when he gets in trouble though!

• Options
    Never. DH says it sometimes though... which is funny because originally he didn't want LO to have a middle name.

BFP 8/9/2013
    EDD for our baby boy 4/14/2014
    Eli Thomas born 4/22/2014

• Options
    Nevaaaaaaah. But I actually like her middle name, Katherine, more than her first, Melanie. I've thought about calling her by it before, though. I only use my son's first and middle (Alexander Thomas) when he's in trouble.
    This.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    All the time. I just like it. :)
    Me too. I call her by both names more than just her first. 

• Options
    knotty-girlknotty-girl member
    edited September 2014
    I thought it was a southern thing to commonly use middle names, correct me if I'm wrong. 

• Options
    Never.
  • Options

I thought it was a southern thing to commonly use middle names, correct me if I'm wrong. 

You're correct but it's more of a country thing. My Uncle is Jimmy Joe and there's a Glenda Jean in there somewhere but that's kinda planned ahead where as Gavin's middle name is William after my dad and Gavin William doesn't really flow (not that I'm country, just in the south). But if I was closer to that part of my family I'm sure they'd call him GW or something twangy ;)
  • Options
    Pretty much need for either of my kids. Ds sometimes calls dd by her middle name trying to be funny

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Pretty much never. Some friends call her Ellie G sometimes, and my younger sister sometimes uses her full name, but that's about it

Photobucket imageimage

• Options
    Only when people ask me his name. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Options
    WHen I'm being playful sometimes I do:  Ellie Jo-"Jo"  and Sasha Claire-"bear". 

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options

It is a southern thing. I use my dd first and middle name all the time.
  • Options
    Not since we introduced him to everyone at birth. Although my dad calls him "CJ", his first and middle initials.
  • Options
    I never even use his first name... 95% of the time I'm talking to or about him, I call him "Dude" or "The Dude." 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dixon813 said:

In the future when he's in trouble/trying to get his attention... Now sometimes I sing his name to him and use his full name

This exactly. When I was growing up, middle name meant mom was getting pissed! XD

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • Options
    I use DS1's first & middle name a lot. DS2, very rarely. No real reason, I guess. I'm thinking that I'll probably use both names for DS2 as he gets older though.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We use it a lot. Growing up ours were only used if we were in trouble :)
  • Options
    hubs family uses the first name but my family uses the middle name because its easier for them to pronounce it since they are spanish lol Brady (short for Brayden) for hubs family and Lucas for my Family

February SIggy Challenge: Fav Movie/TV Couple

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    jsoubeljsoubel member
    edited October 2014
    Never. If I wanted her to have two first names, I would have given her two. My SIL calls both DDs by first and middle and I hate it. Call your children however you choose, but don't be a creeper and call mine by their first and middle.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    SO's grandma held lo for the second time a couple weeks ago at a funeral. She walked around with him introducing him to everyone by his middle name. I think his middle name is adorable (Fritz) but we never use, so I found this sort of rude. We hardly even use his first name. Everyone calls him Leo.
  • Options
    All the time- more than I expected to, actually. Willa Hope. It's a good name. 

When I'm not calling her by her whole name, I call her "sweet potato" because well...

• Options
    Every time I tell someone her name because her name is Parker so I say Parker Nicole so they know she's a girl and sometimes to her, my mom calls her P. Nicole all the time, I think because she secretly doesn't like her first name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"