Toddlers: 24 Months+

Car seat placement question

MIL's seat belt in the center of her backseat does not lock out.  Would DD be safer in the middle with the seat belt not locking out or on the side with a seat belt that will lock out?  MIL is worried about the side airbags and DD being on the side. 
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Car seat placement question

• We've never done a seat in the middle because I can't reach it easily to get the kids in or out, but it seems to me the locking belt would be more important than the location in the car.
  • Does your car seat have lockoffs built in?  If so, as long as the car manual says that a car seat can be installed in the center, you can safely install by using the built in lockoffs.  If you don't have built in lockoffs AND the seatbelt doesn't lock then you need to install on the side.  

If you post your question to the Car Seats for the Littles facebook page, they can help you troubleshoot the issue.  Some seats and cars allow for a locking clip to be installed but not all seats allow that.  Also, depending on the car/car seat and their instructions, you may be able to share the inner LATCH hooks from the sides but again, not all (really not many at all) seats allow for this.  

The center is statistically the safest position but it is perfectly safe for the seat to be installed on either side...people with multiple kids have to use the sides.  The most important thing is to make sure the seat is installed correctly.
  • Loading the player...
  • All cars manufactured after 1996 are required to have locking seat belts. What's the year, make, and model of the car?
  • Side installations are not unsafe.  Any of us with more than one kid have no choice :)  Yes, middle is safer but not if the child and seat are not actually restrained due to a faulty belt.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• You definitely need to check your vehicle manual about what is allowed. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I agree that you might be better off on the sides for this one.  Just make sure the install is nice and tight. 
  • With the car seat there should have been a silver locking clip (or I'm sure they have them at a baby store like babiesrus) that you can attach to the belt once the car seat is installed correctly and tightly. Then it takes the place of the locking seat belt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ^This is true but there is a very particular way to use a locking clip in order for it to work correctly but if that belt truly doesn't lock, the car is now down a seating position for any person.  It should be taken to a mechanic to be repaired.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• The side is fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"