Parenting

Had a baby, cannot have more...question

Hi ladies. Have not posted here in two months-ish. I had a baby boy. Patrick. He is a 35 weeker. He spent 11 days in the NICU. other than a milk issue and reflux, he is doing awesome. Breastfeeds like a champ and his big sister is in heaven with him. During labor, my uterine incision from my first c section tore open and I wound up with an emergency section. My doc was able to save my ute, but he strongly advises against a third child. Now, we never wanted a third, ever. We feel our family is complete. But, there is a part of me that feels sad that I cannot have more kids. I honestly do not want a third, but I feel kind of cheated that the decision was made for me. Stupid, I know. Has anyone else had something like this happen and dealt with conflicting feelings afterwards?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Had a baby, cannot have more...question

• I'm sorry you had that happen and I'm glad to hear that everyone is healthy. I don't have experience, but I do know DH and I always said we would have 2. Now with twins one the way, we will have 3. Still, I'm not prepared to do anything permanent to prevent future children. While I'm sure we're done, I can't make that decision yet. I can't imagine how hard it must be to have that decision made for you.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • sleepy33 said:
    I have no personal experience, but just wanted to offer creepy internet hugs. I think your feelings are completely understandable and normal. Is there a chance you could get a few sessions with a counselor just to get in a better head space about it?

I have my six week on Weds and will talk to my doc then. It is just so weird to be upset this. Thanks for the advice.

• I don't think it's weird to feel a little robbed of getting to make that decision yourself.  (hugs)

Congrats on the new baby though :)

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• Hugs to you, and congrats on your son.  I think your feelings are completely normal.  I always wanted two, but due to IF we were lucky to have one.  I'm incredibly grateful for the child I have, but it still really hurts that biology took away my chance for a second child.  And I think I would feel that way even if we had planned to be one and done from the beginning.

• Congratulations on your son. I'm glad he's doing well!

I don't think it's strange at all to be a bit upset, even if you feel you're done having children. I'm so sorry that decision was taken from you.

image image
  • Congrats on your baby boy and im glad he is doing well!

I have no personal experience with your situation, but I'd say your feelings are justified. In addition, your PP hormones will surely play a part in how you're feeli ng right now, esp given that this is all still so fresh. I totally get that although you dont plan to have more kids, its certainly a tough feeling to know that the decision has medically been made for you. I'd also suggest maybe seeing a counselor for a bit if possible, just to help you through processing these emotions. Hugs to you, lady.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have always wanted three kids, and even after two high risk pregnancies I was willing to go for one more. However, after my second son was born I was put on a medication that causes birth defects.  Every time I get off this medication I am in extreme pain within three weeks, so I know there is no way I will make it through 9 months of pregnancy without it. Its been really hard to accept that my body has failed me and I will never had another baby.  My youngest is 7 now and while most of the time I'm totally content with the two I have, sometimes (usually when I see a baby), the sadness creeps in. I distanced myself from my BFF when she got (accidentally) pregnant with her third and I feel sad that our friendship will never be the same, but it was hard to hear about her baby when I knew I'd never have another.   I finally got rid of all our baby stuff (except the crib, for some reason I'm not ready to part with that yet) and turned the bedroom that was supposed to be for baby number 3 into an office.  It seemed to help to give the room function verses having a big empty room "mock" me whenever I walked upstairs, ha.  My kids are also very active in sports so when I watch the parents of younger kids chasing them around a hockey rink and lacrosse field I am a little relieved i'm over that stage in life :)
    I'm sorry that the decision was taking away from you :( 
  • Bythebeach09Bythebeach09 member
    edited September 2014
    Don't feel weird feeling like that. After my 2nd csection my OB came into the recovery room and told me that I have such terrible scar tissue and adhesions from my first section that the second one would add many more complications. He told me that he would not recommend another pregnancy and even went so far to say that if I did get pregnant again there might have to be talk of termination. Talk about ripping my heart out 5 minutes after just having DD!

Turns out that I have so much scarring and adhesions that I can't get pregnant anymore.

I struggle with it a lot. Just the idea that the decision to end my reproductive years was not made by me is hard to reconcile. It's not that I wanted/want another, but knowing that I couldn't even if I did, hurts.

Eta: fat fingers + autocorrect.
  • Congratulations on your son. I'm glad he's doing well!

I don't think it's strange at all to be a bit upset, even if you feel you're done having children. I'm so sorry that decision was taken from you.

image image
  • Congrats on your son. 

I think it is perfectly normal to feel the way you do.  Even if you were planning to be done, having the decision taken from you has to be hard.  When DH and I started, we said we were going to have 2.  Now DS is 4 and DH has decided he doesn't want more.  While I could still have more (physically), now I will not.  This makes me sad.
    The Book of Love Has Music in it

• Congrats on your son!
    I am in a similar position, but for different reasons. I am 36 and pregnant with my second (due in December). I have multiple sclerosis and was diagnosed at 30. My first pregnancy was a breeze, but I had an MS attack 6 months after my son's birth. Before this pregnancy, my strength had declined significantly and I struggled with other symptoms. But, our dream was to always have more kids. I have had lots of MS related issues with this pregnancy and my neurologist wants to aggressively treat me in the hospital right after the birth. The mess he wants me on have taken away my option to breast feed and the most effective meds would make having other children very dangerous (for the fetus, even if I were to come off of the meds). In addition, getting pregnant again and having similar MS related issues could leave me unable to walk (due to a lack of strength). I HATE that this disease is taking away my decisions about what I feel my body is made to do. It has been very difficult and I have also been struggling with depression over it. Counseling has been suggested here, and it has helped me, but I worry what my feelings will be at the conclusion of this pregnancy.
  • Thanks for the kind words ladies. I spoke to my husband about my feelings last night and he said he has similar thoughts, although he does not feel as conflicted as I do. While I hate that anyone has a similar situation to mine, it is comforting to know that others can relate.

• First I want to say I'm sorry about what happened.  I'm sure that was very scary, but I'm glad everyone is ok! 

I just had #3 in April.  DS1 came 4 weeks early (emergency c-section), DS2 came at 39 weeks (repeat c-section).  With DD (#3) my water broke at 32 weeks.  I was on hosptial bed rest for 10 days and she was born by c-section at 33+5.  She spent 59 days in the NICU. 

Like you, I am 100% sure that we don't want any more children.  3 is more than enough.  I have not specifically been told that I shouldn't have more children, but I feel like it would be foolish of me to attempt that.  Who knows how early the next one would come.  I can't put my family through all that again.  So, while I would not choose to have more children, I kind of feel like circumstances outside of my control would prohibit that even if I did.

DH is getting a vasectomy on Friday.  It's bittersweet.  I think part of me will always be sad that I'm done with the "baby having" portion of my life. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"