Special Needs
Options

More orthodontic issues

I know this isn't really special needs related, but I've been airing my concerns and issues here.  DS (8.5 yrs old with ADHD, on meds) has been getting orthodontic work for his underbite.  Previously, I posted about his inability to eat enough with his spacer/expander in the roof of his mouth.  He's come around and eating more.  He did lose 6 pounds, and the pyschiatrist asked about it in our med check.  He opened his mouth and showed her the device, and she commented on how difficult it would be to eat. 

We went to the orthodontist today and DS no longer needs head gear because his jaw is beginning to move in the right direction.  Instead, he'll require braces and a bite block to keep his jaws apart enough for them to move.  The bite block will prevent him from closing his jaws completely.  I'm having a hard time figuring out how he'll chew and swallow with the expander in the roof of his mouth, braces, and a bite block.  Any thoughts or experience please?  I'm nervous given how bad things got with just the expander/spacer in. 

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: More orthodontic issues

• Options
    Since he's lost weight, there's no belly anymore. I can continue to supplement with pediasure as needed. I believe the block would be in for 6 months, but it could be more or less depending on how his jaw responds. I did talk to him about it tonight and explained my understanding of it at least. He thinks he'll figure it out. I assume the reverse head gear is still an option, He'd wear it at night so it could impact his sleep. DS's good attitude about it has eased my nervousness slightly. Thanks for your reply!
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    Yikes that sounds rough! No advice, but good for your DS for having a good attitude about it. 

DD1 has lost a couple of pounds since school started just from being so busy. She's definitely going to need orthodontic work in a couple of years--I'd never really thought about how much that could impact eating. I'm glad you posted about this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"