LGBT Parenting
Options

Parenting Check In (9/29)

ATXmommasATXmommas member
edited October 2014 in LGBT Parenting
Happy Monday, everyone!
How is/was your weekend? Any new accomplishments, challenges or successes?

@ball.and.chain - hope you have a great first day back at work!

QOTW: One thing you hope you pass on to your kiddos and, if you have a partner, one thing you hope they pass on.

Parenting Roster:

(Please let me know if you would like to be added)

@KH826 – Will born 6/4/14

@ATXmommas – Sebastian (“Ash”) born 11/21/13, other Momma is Z

@Wallace323 – J and L born 8/8/13, surviving triplets born at 31 weeks

@Trisholio and @trisholiosboi – Proud foster parents to M born 2/6/12 and K born 8/22/13; baby Adalyn born 8/29

@JGY – Gabe born 3/24/13, other Mama is S.

@Stringy813 – M born May 2013

@Filmfanatic82 – Charley born 3/15/14

@Mamosey‌ & @Karlamo‌ – R born 2/25/14

@2brides – G & C born 5/18/06, other Mom is L

@Jrtmom – Henry born 8/15/13, other mama is L

@Sarahtrpt – C born February 2014

@CageyMack – W born 3/16/13

@Themommymonster – C (DS) born 2/18/09

@Clairmeij – Alarico born 6/28/13, other mama is V

@Mystjava – Little Bear (LB) born 3/31/10, other Mummum is Shawn

@winstan1 – J (DS) born 9/10 (currently 3.5 years old)

@newmompeanut – N (DD) born 2/12/13, other Momma is B

@herbabymama‌ – C (DD) born 12/10/13, other Mama is K

@AmandaG47 – Twin girls born 2/22/14, other Mommy is J

@mwagner25 – Oliver born 11/27/13, other parent is L

@jazibel – Kaden born 7/13/12 and Owen born 5/2/14, other parent (Aya) is EV

@2momsinCA‌ - B & O born 5/27/14

@redrockmama – M born 6/19/14, other Mama is J

@ball.and.chain – B born 6/28/14

@Flygirl1228 – Twins 7/25/14

@KLeigh1‌ - S born 7/25/14

@2MamazInSeattle‌ - S born 8/21/14

@shameless370087‌ - Anthony and Sati, born 3/9/2014, Other mom is S

@shelly2314 - Elise and Olivia, born 8/19/14, wife is M

@rkbo‌ - Amelia born 9/22/14
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Parenting Check In (9/29)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The check-in sure is slower today, usually by the time I post we are nearly to the 2nd page. Everyone must be having a busy Monday. 

M is 14 weeks. 

He rolled from his tummy to his back for the first time Saturday night and we amazingly happened to catch it on video, go us! We never do tummy time because he hates it so we were both shocked. He does back to tummy while he sleeps, but only did it awake once when he was super tiny. 

We went to my dad's house last night to can grape juice and he hated almost every second of it. It was so sad. We decided my stepmom is "haunting" the house and causing a ruckus about how much she hates my dad's new gf, but only M can hear/see her and since it's loud and scary he cries. He seriously cries every time we go over there and as soon as we leave he is as happy as can be. 

M started "talking" over the last few days. It's the cutest and I love it. He has soooo much to say. He also started grabbing things for the first time and drooling a ton. He's growing up so fast. 

J is home with him right now because I had to work on my normal day off. I hope things are going well. Last night she was with him alone for a few hours he screamed until I got home and she felt pretty terrible. He has definitely developed a preference for me lately. He cries if I give him to anyone else, even J. I love that I'm his "favorite" right now, but it's also exhausting too. I tried to get J to see that side of it, I haven't had a spare moment to myself in 14ish weeks. I don't think she'll get it until she is the breastfeeding mama to the baby she carries. 

Well back to work, have to finish up some reports in the next 20 minutes. 

• Options
    @CageyMack‌ does the Sorento really seat 7??? Does it come with third row seating? And, if it does have third row seating, does it still have a decent trunk space?

We're most likely going to be in the market for a smallish suv when we finally get pregnant.... Only because we plan on "caging" in the trunk so we can put the dog back there instead of in the back seat. She occasionally gets crazy in the car, and, craziness aside, I just don't want her in the backseat with a baby....

We currently have 2 Kia Fortes, and I've actually only owns Kias (my first car was a Sephia.... It's been Fortes ever since) so I'm really interested in the Sorento or something similar from Kia
  • Options
    @CageyMack‌ - I'm interested in what you think about the Sorrento as well. Z is adamant that we get a vehicle with a third row. I'm trying to talk her into a minivan for the convenience factor (sliding and remote control doors), but she's not hearing it.

I hope W settles in soon. Big changes for him right now! Where did you find the sex ed class? I hope when the time comes, I find the right words to say!
  • Options
    Just jumping in quick... I have a Kia Sorrento and love it! I didn't get third row seating because I thought you could add it in later. Turns out that you can't, so get it when you buy it if you want it. Even with third row there would still be adequate trunk space.

I bought mine in February, brand new, with less than 100 miles on it. It has over 20,000 now, sadly. I had a Sportage before this and C has one now. I think they are both excellent vehicles. I drive a lot, obviously, and have never had any problems.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• Options
    Thanks for the input, @StacyLH24‌! I'll bring it up to Z. We're going to wait until next summer to buy, but we're starting to research now.
  • Options
    StacyLH24 said:

Just jumping in quick... I have a Kia Sorrento and love it! I didn't get third row seating because I thought you could add it in later. Turns out that you can't, so get it when you buy it if you want it. Even with third row there would still be adequate trunk space.

I bought mine in February, brand new, with less than 100 miles on it. It has over 20,000 now, sadly. I had a Sportage before this and C has one now. I think they are both excellent vehicles. I drive a lot, obviously, and have never had any problems.

We've had mine for over two years? (It's a 2012 and we bought it brand new) and it has just under 19,000.... J's on the other hand is a 2013 and has over 60,000 (prob way more, I can't remember exactly) and my Sephia was a 2000 that I got in 2004ish that had about 55,000 when I bought it. I was able to pay it off and still drive it for a few years before we had to get rid of it (and though it was driving questionably when we finally got rid of it, the main reason we did is because J got in an accident and it was totaled.... Would have cost more to fix it than it was worth)

So I have no qualms recommending Kias to people. They are good cars and we never have had problems with them....
  • Options
    I am late to the check in, but I actually have a few minutes on the actual computer and not trying to bump on my phone.

Adalyn is 1 month old today, time really does fly!  She is 9lbs 5oz as of today, her birth weight was 7lbs 11oz.  I am breastfeeding and she is eating like a champ.  (I feel a little guilty because I know so many have struggled to breast feed, but know that your struggles have given me so much information, I am grateful)  She sleeps in 2 to 3 hour segments at night, which isn't too bad right now.  We have somewhat of a sleeping schedule worked out so my wife and I both get sleep.  It is starting to feel real, like we get to keep her :-)  She is really our baby!!
    M is 2.5 yrs old and is developing an attitude.  She doesn't seem to bothered by Adalyn except to give her kisses or shove a paci in her face.  I try and get her to keep her hands off right now, but that is only because Adalyn is so little and fragile.  I find myself getting very frustrated with her these days because she is testing a lot of boundaries, but then she does something really sweet and cute and I melt.
    K is 13 months old and becoming a hand full!  She is starting to talk more and repeats a lot of things.  She is also throwing lots of tantrums when we take a toy away, or tell her no, or for any no good reason she will throw herself on the ground....it's been lots of fun, ugh.   We call her 'wack a mole' because she still likes to hit everything, including Adalyn.  It is not malicious, just her way of expressing herself I guess.  It is hard to explain why its wrong, especially when I am burping Adalyn and 'hitting' her on her back.

Caring for three little ones is no walk in the park, but then again I knew it wouldn't be.  Last week was my first week on my own and I survived and even managed to get out of the house once by myself with all three of them.  I was pretty sore the next day from over doing it, but at least I tried.  

We have been keeping up on weekly pictures of Adalyn, but forgot the 1 month today.  Well we tried to do something cute and it was so much more difficult than we expected.  I am going to leave the fancy pictures to the professionals.  I am not sure if you all are familiar with pinterest and the #nailedit pictures, they are of epic fails of stuff people try to do on pinterest.  This is our 'nailedit'  picture.....in other words epic fail!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    It's almost 9pm and I"m finally getting around to the check-in.  It was so great to read everyone's post - I love "watching" the babies grow up.

Well our biggest accomplishment is that all (well... almost all) of our stuff has been moved to our new house.  This is quite the feat given the amount of craziness in the ensued, but more on that tomorrow.  

Kaden did struggle with the transition.  We saw a lot of toddler meltdowns and he became increasingly clingy toward me.  We talked him through what was going on, and visited the "new" house a few times over the last week to help ease the transition. I think all in all he was a champ. I'm so grateful that he really has a team players spirit.  But seeing what a big deal this was for him, and how much work it is to juggle kids and packing, moving, etc. I don't see myself doing this again until we find and buy our forever dream home.  Sigh... So that means getting settled in here. YAY!  It's a great place for us, and for our kids.

Kaden is now going potty on the grown up potty. Next step to go diaper-less out of the house.  

Owen is vocalizing a lot more. He also really plays now for long stretches of time.  I managed to pump 12 oz over the last week for our in laws that watched him on Sunday from 8am - 3pm. He basically nursed at 8am, and drank 4oz during the day and nursed again at 4pm.  So I still have some milk in the freezer. I was so nervous to not have pumped enough, but I'm glad to see it worked out. I think that wasn't quite enough but he seemed happy.  Thanks for all the great advice on pumping, and all of the posts in the past - I've learned so much.

QOTD:  I hope the boys get EV's creativity and love of all things nature.  From me I hope they get a tendency to look at the bright-side and a love of connecting with people.

• Options
    @trisholio‌ - I've seen the Pinterest fails and your photo doesn't come close to an epic fail. Second, I'm so happy BF-ing is going so well! No need to feel guilty! It's a wonderful thing! And as always, amazed at your ability to juggle three kiddos.

@Jazibel‌ - glad you are moved! And glad that the pumping is going well! 12oz is way more than enough for that time period, so it's great to have some to freeze - that's always a good feeling!
  • Options
    @Karlamo‌ - we're runners too! What is the recommended age for running with baby in the jogging stroller? The fact that I don't know is a good indication that we did not wait until said age. We did wait until he had really good head control and we felt comfortable with it - maybe 4 or 5 months. Also, we used the infant car seat adaptor with the jogging stroller up until a couple months ago. We actually ran our first 5K with him on Sunday! Z did all the pushing this time. Yes, totally different ball game running with a stroller. Can you imagine running with the double stroller?!?! Baby steps...
  • Options
    ATXmommas said:
    @Karlamo‌ - we're runners too! What is the recommended age for running with baby in the jogging stroller? The fact that I don't know is a good indication that we did not wait until said age. We did wait until he had really good head control and we felt comfortable with it - maybe 4 or 5 months. Also, we used the infant car seat adaptor with the jogging stroller up until a couple months ago. We actually ran our first 5K with him on Sunday! Z did all the pushing this time. Yes, totally different ball game running with a stroller. Can you imagine running with the double stroller?!?! Baby steps...

We have a BOB and the reccomended age is 8 months! We talked to our dr and physical therapist around 5-6 months who both recommeded waiting it out a little longer.  Their issue isn't with neck control as much as that their little brains are being jostled around inside their heads.   I've heard of people running sooner than 8 months, like 2 months.   So I think it's just comes down to what you're comfortable with. 

I bet the race was fun for you all.  My wife asked if she could see us pushing him for a half.  I laughed.  The 5k we ran felt like a half to me!!

• Options

Day late, story of my life these days.

Gabe is 18 months.

Argh, so many things I want to respond to, but I'll get our update out there first and then see what I can do.

This has been a rough week for our little guy.  He's been teething something fierce, reminiscent of @lolabelle515's recent experience.  On Friday evening we tried to meet some friends out for dinner.  We chose a kid-friendly place, with lots of outdoor space to run around.  Our friends also have a kiddo, so they were kind of mentoring us on how to do the dining-out-with-child thing.  Well, it was a complete disaster.  We ended up having to get our food to go.  Daycare had warned me at pick up time that G had seems "A little off," but that was a massive understatement.

Anyway, we had a supremeley grumpy weekend. Lots of drooling and lots of crying, but by Sunday morning there were 4 little buds to greet my finger when I finally got it into his mouth.  Things have calmed down a little bit now, but we did have some added stress that G has also stopped willingly taking ibuprofin or teething tablets.  Sigh.  C'mon kid, you've gotta know it's going to make you feel better!!!

Since things were a bit better on Sunday we went to visit some friends that live on a farm outside of town.  G had a fantastic time chasing chickens (yelling "Bawk bawk bawk" the whole time) and petting horses.  He also got to pick a tomato (his favorite food of all time) and eat it right off the vine.  It was a really nice way to spend a ridiculously warm Septmeber Sunday.

What else?  We had G's 18 month checkup last week.  Boy weights 27 lbs.  No wonder I'm exhausted all the time!  He got 1 vaccine, and handled it MUCH better than past shots.  Apparently all the world's problems can be solved with a banana.  Oh, and word EXPLOSION!  @Cageymack, we could probably write each others' updates if necessary. 

The less interesting, but equally important, adult issues are weighing on us big-time right now.  S is exhausted at work.  She's getting to a point where she's not sure how much longer she can stay in her industry.  My company is going through some financial hard times as well, and layoffs are written on the wall (we just went through a round of them a few months back).  $$ is stressful and while we're doing okay now, we seem to be unable to cut our bills and spending to put additional amounts away for a "Just in case" scenario.  We have good retirement savings, and an emergency fund, but it would be a really good idea to have some other savings to dip into if necessary.  If I wasn't so exhausted at night after getting G to bed, I'd spend some time crunching numbers and making a plan.  If ...

I'll update in the TTC thread, but I have a procedure scheduled today to investigate whether my fibroids have grown back.  It's a step we need to take prior to any TTC efforts, but due to the work instability and $$ concerns, I don't know if we'll ever get there.  Too bad we waited so long to have our first, there's no option to just wait a while on #2.  It's either do it now, or don't do it at all.  Sigh.

QOTW:  I hope that Gabe gets S's ability to make everything/anything fun, and I REALLY hope he gets her work ethic (I believe both of those things can be learned). Genetically from me I hope he gets my athletic and musical abilities, and maybe a little bit of my bleeding heart (but not the whole thing).

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    Karlamo said:

ATXmommas said:

We have a BOB and the reccomended age is 8 months! We talked to our dr and physical therapist around 5-6 months who both recommeded waiting it out a little longer.  Their issue isn't with neck control as much as that their little brains are being jostled around inside their heads.   I've heard of people running sooner than 8 months, like 2 months.   So I think it's just comes down to what you're comfortable with. 

I bet the race was fun for you all.  My wife asked if she could see us pushing him for a half.  I laughed.  The 5k we ran felt like a half to me!!

-----------------

Oh, great, now I have to worry about whether I jostled his little brain. #parentingfail

But, seriously, I'm not worried about it. We weren't off-roading with it. We have a BOB Ironman and it seems to be a smooth ride.

I definitely wouldn't push Ash for a half race, but we'll probably end up taking him on some long runs in the stroller if we ever want to get back to racing halfs or fulls, which I fully intend to.... someday!
  • Options
    ATXmommas said:

----------------- Oh, great, now I have to worry about whether I jostled his little brain. #parentingfail But, seriously, I'm not worried about it. We weren't off-roading with it. We have a BOB Ironman and it seems to be a smooth ride. I definitely wouldn't push Ash for a half race, but we'll probably end up taking him on some long runs in the stroller if we ever want to get back to racing halfs or fulls, which I fully intend to.... someday!

I'm sure you're in the clear! I couldn't wait out the recommended age either. 8 months seems ridiculously old for waiting to go for a run. My guess is they're using a blanket age to cover all different types of terrain like you said. I couldn't believe how smooth the ride was. It's even smoother than a regular stroller.

Speaking of parenting fails, during a diaper change R started chewing on the electrical cord to the wipe warmer!  #friedbrain

• Options
    CageyMackCageyMack member
    edited September 2014
    mallory4284ATXmommas - so far, I love the Sorrento! The third row seats are exactly what I would expect for a third row in a cross-over: smallish, but I'm 5'8" and I sat back there and was totally comfy.  Mine are split in the back.  I will say that trunk space is greatly reduced when the third row is up.  But when it is down it is massive!  If I had a big dog, I'd flop one down and put a crate there, leave other up.  Unless you just have the third row as a "just in case" for the future.  

We couldn't imagine buying a new car that didn't seat more than 5.  With our family about to BE 5, we knew we wanted a couple "extra" seats for the few times a year when we have in-laws around, or even just a couple friends of the big kid's.  Plus, once the new baby gets here, we didn't want the 11 year old to have to sit in the same row as 2 babies in an Impreza.  We don't believe in fostering entitlement, but I, personally, could not think of a faster way to build resentment! ;)  So we thought it was a good idea: new baby, new car.

I got worried for a few minutes when I thought the third row was a single unit, and I tried to imagine how we would go to the grocery store as a family.  But the split seat makes it totally do-able!  

Love the car!

Edit: sorry, copy/pasted the wrong name in there for a minute!  :)

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Options
    CageyMackCageyMack member
    edited September 2014
    @JGY: "G had seems "A little off," but that was a massive understatement."  DUDE!  What is with these poor boys?  W has been so out-of-sorts lately.  I'm totally ready for some new state of being other than where we are.

I hear you on being exhausted.  I'm a little better than I was about a month ago when I think W was teething, but still so, so, so tired.  I went to sleep at 8:30 night before last, and was in bed by then last night.  But the Dude is going to bed as early as 5:30pm!  What UP, man?!?!

Keep your chin up about the baby #2.  The world never goes as planned.  I know how frustrating it is to have the ticking clock problem, as evidenced by my DW's struggle to get a baby growing.  It is dumbfounding that it can be so hard, but thankfully we all have good, smart brains and a ton of tenacity and hopefully the financial liquidity of a small country to make it happen.  ;) Anyway, I'm rooting for you. :)

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Options
    Late as usual! As you know, yesterday was my first day at work and although it went well, I didn't really have time to check in. Work was busy and when I got home, I wanted to have quality time with B and S.

B is 3 months old!

I feel a little guilty about it, but so far the transition back to work hasn't been that bad. Now my wife isn't working this week, so she's handling daycare pick-up/drop-off, whereas I will be doing most of it under normal circumstances. So obviously things aren't quite as hectic as they will be, but the actual leaving-the-kid-for-the-day-part is still happening and it's been OK for me. I miss his face when I am at work and I am excited to see him and play with him when I get home, but I don't feel overwhelming sadness or regret about any of it. In fact, when I got off the bus downtown yesterday, I had this moment of "YES! I'm back!" which was kind of nice (part of it is that I live in the suburbs and missed being in the city, but I also enjoy the feeling of independence and interaction with adults). I'm also thrilled to report that I have a new commute and it is 30 minutes shorter in the evening and much easier. I should be able to pull of daycare pick-up/drop-off just fine, and we may even save a little money.

Do you find that people in hetero relationships are surprised by your family's parenting arrangements? Example - for the last two nights, my wife has taken full nighttime baby duty and let me sleep in the guest room so that I can be rested for work (I did the same thing when she went back to work. We probably won't do it all week, and things will be 50-50 when we're both working, but I can see us doing it in the future if someone is sick or needs extra sleep for some other reason). Yep, I have had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep for two nights in a row. :) I posted something about this on Facebook and all my mom friends were amazed -- they could not believe S was willing to do this and said they couldn't imagine their husbands doing the same thing. These are all 30-something, smart, educated, employed, assertive women with reasonably progressive husbands. I just don't get it -- B is not my baby that my wife helps me take care of; he is OUR son. Thus we split his care as evenly as we can (given that our jobs have different demands) and we do what we can to support each other -- that means sometimes one of us makes a sacrifice for the other, but it goes both ways. Is that really so surprising?

Anyway, we're doing well. B is only waking once during the night, and we've been slightly more successful lately at getting him to sleep in his bassinet for at least the first half of the night. He's super smiley and fun lately and is starting to get more interested in toys. A friend gave us a Baby Einstein music toy that he adores, and he's starting to hold on to the toys that hang from his activity gym. He's also rolled from tummy to back three times. We've transitioned him from swaddle to sleep sack and he seems fine with it. He is almost 12 lbs and just starting to outgrowing his 0-3 clothes, but I think his growth has picked up since we went all-formula and I'm eager to hear how things check out as his 4-month pedi appointment next month.

QOTW: S is not neurotic -- she doesn't usually get anxious about things, she doesn't obsess over things she can't control, and she doesn't compulsively over-analyze, all of which are things I do. I would love B to be more like S in that respect! I'd also like him to be as good at sports as she is. I would like him to do as well in school as I did, and to love reading and language the way I do. Who knows what we'll get!
    Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

• Options

Do you find that people in hetero relationships are surprised by your family's parenting arrangements? Example - for the last two nights, my wife has taken full nighttime baby duty and let me sleep in the guest room so that I can be rested for work (I did the same thing when she went back to work. We probably won't do it all week, and things will be 50-50 when we're both working, but I can see us doing it in the future if someone is sick or needs extra sleep for some other reason). Yep, I have had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep for two nights in a row. :) I posted something about this on Facebook and all my mom friends were amazed -- they could not believe S was willing to do this and said they couldn't imagine their husbands doing the same thing. These are all 30-something, smart, educated, employed, assertive women with reasonably progressive husbands. I just don't get it -- B is not my baby that my wife helps me take care of; he is OUR son. Thus we split his care as evenly as we can (given that our jobs have different demands) and we do what we can to support each other -- that means sometimes one of us makes a sacrifice for the other, but it goes both ways. Is that really so surprising?

Yes! Z recently put something on FB about her morning routine of washing pump parts, cleaning nipples, making bottles, etc. and many people commented about it - how another woman just "gets it" and that their husbands didn't do any of that. So strange to me. I don't think it takes another female to "get it."

And don't feel guilty about how good you feel returning back to work. The transition for me wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. And there are days now that I'm plum happy to drop him off! I love my time with him, but I'm not meant to be a SAHM.
  • Options
    @atxmommas - can you please add us to the list? 

Amelia - born on 9/22
  • Options
    rkbo said:

@atxmommas - can you please add us to the list? 

Amelia - born on 9/22
    Gotcha, momma!
  • Options
    @ATXmommas‌ can you add me to the list too- B & O born 5/27

A & K, married 7/1/13.

After 10 months of ttc via medicated IUIs and two early losses, we finally got our boys- Perfect premie twins born 5/27/14.

• Options
    2momsinCA said:

@ATXmommas‌ can you add me to the list too- B & O born 5/27

Done!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"