April 2015 Moms

Cider and cider donuts

Are they really a big no no?

Re: Cider and cider donuts

• Because they are not pasteurized but wondering if it's one of those things you can have on blue moon occasions- apple cider and cider donuts..
  • Craziest thing I've ever heard!
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2014
    snegde said:

Holy fuck.

? If you actually read online cider is suppose to be pasteurized if your pregnant- it's like the whole lunch meat debate. Was feeling others opinion on it as I'm on the fence. No need for the comment. It's not like I asked if I should have a baby shower or if being hungry is a symptom of being pregnant.
  • The donuts are definitely fine. You'll probably find that most apple ciders are pasteurized, too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • any cider you get from the grocery store should be pasteurized (it will say it on the back of a bottle).  I would avoid any unpasteurized cider from local farms...or if you do buy it just heat it up to kill any backteria.

Cider donuts are a totally different story.  They are baked or fried which would kill anything potentially harmful.  Live it up, and eat those!
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• They are both a big fat HELL YES. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Because they are not pasteurized but wondering if it's one of those things you can have on blue moon occasions- apple cider and cider donuts..
    And donuts are deep-fried...so any bacteria lurking from non-pasteurization would definitely be taken care of.
    Me (29), DH (30), Married 6/16/07
    #1: BFP 8/02/14, EDD 4/11/15

~~TEAM GREEN~~

BabyFruit Ticker   

****** April '15 January Siggy Challenge: Exercise/Workout Fails ****** image
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've heard about this too. I think they just say to avoid the cider that you can get from a stand on the side of the road or a farm because it may be unpasteurized. 
  • How did I not know that there's such a thing as apple cider donuts?? Reading this post was totally worth it.
    ((A15 Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails - -Tobias Funke))

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Does anyone live in Vermont near Cold Hollow Cider Mill? If so I am jealous of you..we went there on our honeymoon. The donuts were sooooo good.

You can drink apple cider throughout your pregnancy, but my understanding is you need to make sure the cider you drink is pasteurized and store it at proper temperatures at home. (Unpasteurized apple cider can be contaminated with E.coli.) Some cider vendors actually specify when their apple cider is safe for pregnant /nursing women and people with suppressed immune systems. (We saw a sign like this at a couple places we went to.)

Definitely enjoy the apple cider donuts! You don't have to worry about them- they're cooked!

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • NEED APPLE CIDER DONUTS.
  • Now I want some apple cider and donuts...nmm, num, num
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am now tempted to take a very long drive (90 min each way) down to the cider mill near where I grew up to get me some cider donuts.... because my appetite is like that lately. See a food, want a food. Works if I just see a food in my mind. My stomach is so damn suggestible these days! Especially for something like a cider donut. MMMM..........

I love this because a suggestible stomach is EXACTLY what I have - and that is WAY out of the norm for me!

I love when I hear a new way to describe another symptom!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"