Baby Names
Options

Names ruined

Have you ever really loved a name and then had it ruined once you met someone with that name? It doesn't even have to be a bad person with that name, just constantly saying it over and over or just knowing that there is someone you know personally?

As a teacher I have both a Charlotte and a Clara in my classes (junior high). Neither of them are bad students, but it's just ruined both names for me now for some reason.
imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Re: Names ruined

• Options
    Also a teacher, and having a name too often can certainly kill it for me--Jacob, Joshua, Preston, Jackson, Kaylie/Kayla/Kylie, anything that starts with "Mc" like Mckenzie/McKenna/Mckayla, Kaitlyn, and anything ending in aiden or that could have the nickname of Addie.
    Of course, some of these I just plain didn't like ever
  • Options
    I was a preschool teacher and I loved a few names and now realize I could never use them on someone else.

Worst is Coraline. I have always loved it and the NN Cora. A coworker had a baby last year named Caroline and I couldn't use Coraline now because they are just too similar. We live together at a boarding school so the faculty kids/parents are together all of the time.
    Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Too many to list.
  • Options
    Yes, this has happened to me.
  • Options
    I especially hate it when a really beautiful name turns out to be a disease.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Being a teacher, this has happened to me too many times to count. It is so hard to disassociate after you've yelled "Stop it, Asher." at least one thousand times, the name loses it's appeal. (Asher is just an example, it was the first name that I thought of, probably because I've said it at least forty times today!)

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    I'm a teacher, and the following names have been ruined (off the top):  Garrett, Dylan, Julia, Sean, Daniel, Shannon, and Hannah.  Of those, I really like Julia and Sean.  I'm sure if I looked at class lists I would see more!  
  • Options
    Clara is ruined. I do not get the appeal after knowing one lady.
  • Options
    Not a teacher so I don't have that problem but lately a lot of names I've loved people have used on their dogs. Sophie, Lucy, Owen, George, Max, Henry. All are dogs so I can't use those on a baby.
  • Options
    emmy236 said:
    Not a teacher so I don't have that problem but lately a lot of names I've loved people have used on their dogs. Sophie, Lucy, Owen, George, Max, Henry. All are dogs so I can't use those on a baby.
    This! I love the name Molly for a girl, but it's my parents' dog's name, so a total no-go.
  • Options
    I really loved the name Ranada until my mom told me that it would make people think our daughter was a whore and call her Ramada Inn...stabbed in the heart. I have met one person with this name and I asked if she ever had problems from her name and she said no...
  • Options
    Kinda.....

I love the name Emily. Other than Eleanor, I think it's the perfect girl name. That being said, it's way too popular. Not even in a trendy way, I know a ton of people named Emily of all ages. Because of that I will never use it but I still really love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"