September 2014 Moms

C Section Incision Question

I tried to flip a search and didn't see anything:

I've been wearing a pad over my incision during the day, and letting it air out at night and I've noticed when I change my pad that there is significant amount of drainage on one side, not the other.  Is draining a sign of infection that I need to worry about?  I also noticed that the side that gets the drainage doesn't seem to be as sealed as the other side, but the tape finally just popped off that same side so I thought maybe it was normal and I missed it because in the hospital they did all the bandage changes and the side that isn't draining's tape popped off after my second shower during my hospital stay.

I've never had surgery or even a major injury before so I really have no idea how big wounds heal..
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: C Section Incision Question

• Mine never drained so I'm no help I guess. :(
    I would assume call the OB? Does incision seem warm to touch or does the drainage smell funny? Those would be signs of infection from what they told me at discharge.

• No creepy smells and because of where it is and the excess skin I couldn't tell you if it was warm.. but it does all look pink and healthy and not inflamed at all.... I have my incision check/1 week PP appointment in the morning I suppose I should probably just chill out.  :-??
  • Loading the player...
  • Could be that the area around your incision is sweaty. mine was and it smelled gross. Definitely call though - you can't be too careful!
  • Mine never drained. I'm 4 weeks PP and my steri strips are still on. My bandage was removed after the first day and was left uncovered besides the strips.
  • another vote to tell the ob. Although I had a tiiiiny bit of drainage from where one of the staples was tugging (before it got taken out, so about 5-6 days pp) and when I went in to get them out the nurse thought nothing of it. Also one side was definitely more tender throughout the healing process

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • No drainage here either. Never hurts to call.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Yes, never hurts to call and have it checked out!

Drainage can be from a number of things and isn't always infection, but only your OB will be able to let you know for sure. If it's not increasingly painful, has redness that's spreading and the drainage isn't thick and smelly, not as likely infection. Could be a seroma which is just a fluid collection under the skin and is usually clear-yellowish discharge - they can progress to an infection though if not treated or drained if needed. Usually when the body is draining fluid, it's because it would rather have it out than in! :)

Best of luck and again I would follow PP advice and contact OB! :)

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• I did have some drainage. I had some on the hospital and then some after I was home as well. It never amounted to anything but I kept an eye on it. The nurses noticed it in the hospital and told me to keep an eye on it at home. I'm in the camp that it doesn't hurt to mention it to your OB just to see what they say!
  • Look out for foul-smelling drainage or drainage that appears green or pus-like. Is the area around the incision inflamed (reddened, swollen, warm to the touch)? Does the incision look nice and closed, or is there an area that looks opened up? Check your temp and make sure you don't have a fever. These are the things I check for at when eye-balling incisions at work. Drainage can be perfectly normal, though. Glad your appointment is soon!
  • I'm just here to echo pp. call OB, I also didn't have any drainage and my steri strips lasted almost 3 weeks
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • I had a little drainage as well. Nurses told me it was normal. If the area looks red, puffy, or feels hot/warm to the touch I would definitely be sure you get it looked at. Good thing you have an appointment today! Keep us posted!
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I've had 3 cesareans and never had leakage, not saying it's definitely a cause for alarm but I certainly would let the doctor know about it. Hopefully it's nothing.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                                   DS 10/02/09  DD 03/28/11
  • hizah05hizah05 member
    edited September 2014
    It has obviously been said but one more vote for calling your OB. I've had 2 c-sections and never experienced drainage. Good luck!

Edit: grammar

• it depends on your incision itself and the way your ob did your section. Some Drs do staples and steri strips. My OB does not do staples on the outside anymore, I have dissolveable staples on the inside and glue on the outside, kind of like Newskin. My first CS drained and oozed for about 4 days pp and it was completely normal, the only thing to be concerned of was if it turned red around my incision. This time I didn't have any drainage.

So to me what you are describing is normal but still call your ob
  • Sooo glad you went and that things are relatively ok!!
  • Glad to hear it wasn't infected and that you are doing okay!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"