February 2014 Moms

Day Care

So i found out for sure today that i have to go back to work. Im so sad. And i have to go back soon! I still don't know where ill be working or what ill be doing, but i have a few leads already so hopefully something works out. 
so i need to find a daycare for LO like now. Ive found a few already that ill be calling tomorrow to set up a meeting. 

But what do i ask? Whats important that they do? I'm totally new to day care and none of my family or friends children go to day care so I'm not sure what are super important questions to ask. Id appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance, i appreciate it

Re: Day Care

• You need @TyrannosaurusLex‌ or @courtls22‌ (I think that's the right tag).

My daycare had a checklist of questions to ask. I used it for every center I toured. I can forward it to you, if you want. My advice is to ask any question you want and that is important to you. It was important to me for example to ask how LO would be comforted, especially if more than two babies were crying.

Ask about routines and if they follow yours or if the make LO follow theirs.

I was hyper aware of security.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Also, spend some time observing the workers and children. After touring three centers, there was no doubt in my mind which one I wanted LO in. It wasn't so much the answers to all my questions as the general atmosphere and feeling.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited September 2014
    i would LOVE if you could <3

• And ((((hugs)))) mama. This is hard. But you can do it, and it'll be a great experience for LO. We're here for you, and please don't hesitate to pm me if you need to talk it out.
  • @narcissticbeaut‌ I'll email you. You might want to edit so not all the internet knows how to get you!
  • thank you @shellbell3845 a lot. its overwhelming!

• Also, my county has a child care council where you fill out a survey and a counselor helps you find a center or in home based on your needs, wants, locations, budget, openings, etc. You might look into it for your area!
  • No worries, mama. Finding a dc and leaving LO the first day was the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm not going to sugar coat that for you. But he loves it! It's great for both of us. I trust his teacher, and I'm totally comfortable now.
  • Everything $hellbell said.

And also, trust your gut. That was the main thing that led me to my decision. I liked the director immediately, and I knew before we even finished the tour that we would be choosing that place.

Also, on that note, make sure you look at a few places for comparison.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• One more: look past the infant room! Don't pick a center if you don't like the toddler program. If the director doesn't offer to show you the whole center, ask. Ideally, you're signing up for four plus years of care!
  • Thank you all for the help. I feel a lot better now, and I'm almost ashamed to say that I never would've thought of half of those questions to ask! I'm glad I have you ladies here ❤️ <3

• Agree with PP that the feeling you get there is more important than a checklist of questions. I also got a lot of good info from checking references from kids that had been there a long time. We use an in home. I think you're in CA so if you're interested in in homes, this website lists licensed in home daycares by zip code. It takes more legwork to find an in home because they usually have fewer spots, but we have had a great experience with ours. https://ccld.ca.gov/PG3581.htm
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Sorry I didn't get on until now and see the notification.  The other ladies were thorough and gave great advice.  Good luck and I'll reiterate to go with your gut! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"