October 2014 Moms
Options

Do I need a humidifier?

So here is my question... (I'm a first time mommy) - We are having a baby shower 2 weeks after the baby is born so people can meet her, I am hoping to get this humidifier as a gift (see below) but now I'm wondering...do i need to have a humidifier right away? What do you moms say?

Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut-Off

https://www.amazon.com/Vicks-Warm-Mist-Humidifier-Shut-Off/dp/B001FWXKTA/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=21GMUGSDB9ZSR&coliid=I39U6GFEAI1NM4
imageimageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do I need a humidifier?

• Options
    I bought one front target. I think it was something like $35 and it's in the shap of a green frog :) I used one as a small kid and I figure when and if I need one I'll have it instead of rushing around to find one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ahhh sorry for typos on my post! I'm tired and barely caring where my fingers type at this point!
  • Options
    Definitely depends on where you live. It's not dry here in NY, but the heating systems in apartments make it extremely dry. Never thought about getting one for personal use until my husband and I got together. It made such a difference for my nose and skin (I get eczema on my hands). I would never not have one now. Needless to say, we got one for the baby's room too.
  • Options
    We registered for one and got one. With the furnace on, the air can get dry, so we figured it would be good to have one for the baby's room. Also figured it was a nice mid priced item to include on a registry that we'd eventually need anyway.
  • Options
    With my first 2, we have used the humidifier a lot.  We live in a very dry area (SoCal) and DS was born in the middle of sick season and DD nearing the end of it.  They were never terribly sick but boy was that humidifier great for the occassional stuffy nose/ cough/ congestion!  Still use it if they ever come down with something (which is rare).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Father's Day at the beach 2014 Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    We only use humidifiers when the kids are sick, and I'd talk to your doctor first anyways because mine recommended a cool mist humidifier when DD had recurring ear infections.
  • Options
    We have on in DD's room. It is really dry here and it doubles as white noise. Win win!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    If your kids gonna be in daycare then definitely. DS is constantly sick and we use it all the time.

• Options
    People keep talking about needing one when LO is sick; humidifiers help many people even when they are healthy.  I wake up with a bloody nose the moment the air turns dry as my mucous membranes dry out very quickly; the extra humidity in the air keeps them moist.  The same can happen to a baby and the extra humidity in the air can help keep the problem from starting.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    This really sounds like more of a regional decision. You should ask families in your area.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    We never have had one and have never felt like it was something we needed. I agree with PP, though, that there are likely some regions where it would be essential to stay comfortable.

Just use your best judgment: are YOU comfortable in your home without one, or do you wish it was something you had?
    imageimage
  • Options
    I agree with a PP: we need/use one for our room so we know we will need one for the baby's room, too

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"