February 2013 Moms
Options

Creepy, strange, or just weird?

ggatlantaggatlanta member
edited September 2014 in February 2013 Moms
I need help with what I believe is a VERY strange situation... Bear with me while I explain.

A few months ago we had occasion to check all 3 channels on our baby monitor. They were all showing static except the one we were using. The other day, my daughter flipped the channel button while playing in my room, and to my shock I saw not static but a woman laying in bed. The camera pointed at her in a way that suggested it was on her nightstand. I did not see her face, only her shoulders down.

So of course I turned it right off. But quickly it dawned on me that if she is using the same frequencies for a video monitor, she could likely see our babies as easily as we could see her. Sure enough, channel A is sleeping woman, channel C is my daughter. I decided to unplug ours to protect our privacy.

The longer I thought about it, though, the more confused I felt about what I saw. I know that no one within any conceivable range of this type of camera has a baby. We are the only ones on the street with one, and adjacent streets are separated by a creek and woods and/or a golf course. Plus, even if this person does have a baby, the camera is pointed not at a crib but at a double / queen bed which was on that morning at least used by an adult.

So. Why on EARTH might a woman point a camera at her own bed? Is it possible she does not know it is there? I have thought and pondered and wondered and I CANNOT come up with ANY scenario that sounds plausible where this woman is aware there is a camera to watch her sleep.

If there were any physically challenged / wheelchair bound neighbors, I could believe they used one to communicate with a helper. But these are all multistory homes too small for private elevators. And not only have I never seen a wheelchair bound woman nearby, I cannot imagine one would be likely to make her home here because of all the stairs.

Please convince me that there is some other plausible explanation besides someone using a hidden camera to spy on one of my neighbors. I am on the verge of turning it back on to try to identify this woman to check in on her - but I don't want to violate her privacy further if there is a chance she is aware of the camera. What would you do????
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Creepy, strange, or just weird?

• Options
    Omg...that sooooooo creepy. I second the making sure she's ok. I would also try and watch it to see if I could maybe identity which neighbor. Then as long as they are Ok. I wouldn't turn back on

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I would make sure she is ok too.
    My monitor camera points at my queen bed most of the time because my daughter and I co sleep. She naps in our bed too. So if someone got my camera they might see our queen bed. I try to turn if off when she is not sleeping but I forget sometimes.
    Jenny DiLo
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have a video monitor so I'm not sure how big they are, but if there's a camera on her nightstand, wouldn't she see it? It's not small enough that she wouldn't know it's there, right? I agree with you that it's strange for a camera to be watching a woman in bed. I thought that same thing as @uncaripswife, that maybe they use it for something sex-related. I'd turn it on again to see if she's okay and then not use it again.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    What if it's one of those nanny spy cams and a spouce is looking for cheating?

Regardless, it's creepy. I think I'd check for restraints but in the absence of any, I'd probably chalk it up to kinky partners and ignore it. And maybe get a different camera. :)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Yep, creepy beyond belief.  Personally, I'd be tempted to identify which neighbour and maybe even tell her what was going on.  If she's unaware of the camera, I'm sure she'd appreciate the head's up.  If she is aware of it, then maybe in the future she'll be more careful about keeping it turned off when not in use.

Wait, if it IS a kinky sex cam, then when it''s being used to film her escapades you could potentially watch THAT, too!  EWWWWWWWWWWWW...

Heck yeah, get a new camera, because someone could be watching your DD sleep.

• Options
    Eeeeeeekkkkk!!! Very creepy. I would also be inclined to find out who it is and clue them in. I'm off to check my other channels now. I'm curious what kind of camera you have?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also vote creepy! I'm going to need an update on this one!!!

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    My monitor is pointed at my bed because my DD sleeps with us. I usually only have it on when she is in bed alone, but I am sure there have probably been a few times I have forgotten. So their is one possible information, but still weird.
  • Options
    Turn it on! Check it out! That is creepy as hell. They have got to improve the privacy of these things!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I'm dying to know what happened!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am dying for an update! I was thinking about this last night and turned our video montior off. Not that the range of ours goes outside of our house (we've tried), but it was just freaking me out way too much.

• Options
    Sorry I am slow to update! I have turned it on a few times but since that day I have never seen anyone. I think I am going to keep checking though.

I've decided to first try to figure out who it is. I don't want to invade anyone's privacy but I am really concerned this camera isn't known to the occupant(s). There's no sign of any distress, but I am worried the camera has been somehow hidden in something. The camera has moved a little at a time, as if bumped accidentally - now it shows less of the bed and more of the side of the mattress. Why have a camera that points at nothing? Or if you're using it, wouldn't you readjust it? To me that reinforces that it may be hidden.

But until I can see someone, it's a mystery. Stay tuned and I'll update soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am super creeped out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"