Multiples

Working while pregnant

I am 16 weeks 4 days with mono/di twins.. Currently I'm still working but lately every day has gotten harder. I have less energy, it's hard to stand for more than ten minutes at a time, my legs ache ALL the time, and my belly feels so heavy it hurts my back.. My doctor says I can work as long as medically allowed.. But how long should I? I'm afraid that I'm hurting myself more than helping. But I'm very independent and like to do things myself. I also have four other kids at home (7 months-5 years) so it's not like I get much rest there either! I'm just confused.

Re: Working while pregnant

• You need to do whatever is best for you and your babies. I'm 23w5d with my twins, but I sit most of the day for work. My goal is to make it to delivery, but realistically I might only make it to 34 to 35 weeks before I go out for maternity leave, unless I get put on bed rest sooner. 

You didn't say what you do for work, but depending on what you do is there a way you could sit a little more? It doesn't hurt to ask your boss if you are able to sit while doing your work.
    ***************SIGGY WARNING***************
    DX: PCOS and Endometriosis 
    TTC since May 2011
    HSG normal
    Hubs SA- Normal June 2012
    Aug. 2012: 50mg Clomid: No Response
    March 2013: 100mg Clomid: No Response
    July 2013: 5mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    August 2013: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Natural cycles Sept & Oct.--BFN
    Nov/Dec: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Jan 2014: 10mg Femara+Ovidrel+TI--BFN
    Feb: Benched due to cysts.
    March: Benched w/cysts.
    April: Femara+Follistim+Ovidrel+Prometrium
    BFP on Mother's Day 2014!! 
    EDD: January 20, 2015
    6week scan: TWINS!!!!!
    16w: Baby A is Stubborn, Baby B is a GIRL!
    20 week scan: TEAM PURPLE!
    The babies were born on December 16, 2014 at 35 weeks! They are home and doing well!

• I just stopped working. I am 29w. I am a retail manager, and I just felt my body wouldn't cooperate anymore. I've been off for 5 days now, and was thinking this morning what a difference it has made already.

I only have a 20 month old at home, so I know how I feel with her running around crazy I can't imagine 4 other kids and feeling like that. The best advice these mamas have given me is listen to your body. I'm so glad I did.

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker          

• Loading the player...
  • I teach Kinder to 5th grade students and move around a lot during the day so my mfm said once I get to 28 weeks we may look into going down to half days to make it more manageable for my schedule. It's becoming tough for me as well because of the amount of walking and as of last week I'm beginning to have blood pressure scares, so we'll see how far I can go. Stay in touch with your doctor and be comfortable.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

F15 January Siggy Challenge: What I'm Looking Forward to After the Babies Arrive
    Bringing them both home...UPDATE...The girls are home!!! 1/7/15 after 20 days in the NICU!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have no advice and I am new over here but what are mono/di twins?
    Anniversary
    TTC starting 8/2014 :)
    BFP 8/27/14  EDD 5/9/2015 9/25/2014 ITS TWINS!!! <3<3 
    12/25/14 twin boys <3

BabyFetus Ticker

• @MrsF0831‌ one placenta two sacs. I have the same.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

F15 January Siggy Challenge: What I'm Looking Forward to After the Babies Arrive
    Bringing them both home...UPDATE...The girls are home!!! 1/7/15 after 20 days in the NICU!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would listen to your body. I'm 26w and I work part-time in an office and part-time in a hospital as a nurse. I'm tall so I hold it all in very well and I plan to keep working both jobs until the very end. My belly does feel heavy but I do go to the gym several times a week and walk a few miles on the treadmill and although I'm on my feet in the hospital, I don't really feel it until the end of my shift.
  • I work from home, but have had to slow down considerably. Do what is best for you and don't worry about what other people think.
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Listen to your body! I plan on working until 30 weeks which would be thanksgiving but some days I'm not sure if that will even be possible.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• I worked until my water broke at 34w. It was hard, but I wanted to save my time off for after the babies were born.

• I worked until 3 days before I delivered my twins (38+1), but I have a desk job. My employer was very helpful and understanding and let me work from home 2-3 days a week. Can you wear a belly band to help with the pressure and heaviness you feel? I hate to be a downer, but it's only going to get worse (from 16 weeks). Also, drink TONS and TONS of water (I drank over a gallon a day) to help with pressure as well. Sounds crazy, but water will be your best friend and helps with all of the aches and pains.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I work as a waitress so I'm on my feet and very busy at work. Around 15 wks I was having a really hard time. My back hurt very bad and so did the sciatic pain. I felt like I was done working. My OB really didn't want to pull me out of work that early so I had her adjust my work limitations. No lifting over 10 lbs, no working over 6 hrs. This helped me a lot and I just powered through the pain.

I'm now at almost 31 wks with di/di twins and I'm doing great. I haven't gained a ton of weight because working has kept me active. I feel like I could work a while longer but I'm taking it week by week. This week I feel fine but I don't know what next week will bring.
    Diagnosed MFI- low sperm count  
    DS-Born 7/27/11 After 2 years of IF we have our little man
    TTC#2 January 2013
    11 Medicated cycles gave us
    B/G Twins born 10/8/14 @ 32 weeks
  • I am 26 weeks and planning on stopping work in three weeks. I got carpel tunnel and pulse is too high all the time and starting to feel more tightness when I am at work. I was planning on working longer but I think my health and babies health is more important espically at this stage when I hear women going into super early pre term labour (like 32 weeks) I don't think it's worth the three months salary. My doctor told me it's good idea to stop working once I reach thirs trimester, and plus we ladies are going to be super busy and tired once these babies arrive. Take time if financially can to give your body a little break!
  • Oh this worries me so much! 16 weeks and you're feeling that miserable!? :(. I thought the 2nd trimester was when we were supposed to feel good! Shows how little this FTM knows. :/ I'm a drama teacher and I have a musical to direct that doesn't go up until February and I'm due in May... Oh Lord.. Maybe I need to hire out an assistant director in case I go out too early. And I agree with the ladies, listen to your body. Maybe even just take a few days off and see if you feel better. Or switch to half days. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • I am a special ed teacher. I went part time around 26 weeks. I was hoping to go longer, but I was at a new, more difficult position and had been under a lot of stress. I am hoping since I went to part time I can continue till delivery.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • CNYBride05CNYBride05 member
    edited September 2014
    I would have worked to delivery if I hadn't been put on bedrest.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Killed myself to the bitter end. 38 weeks! Edema, hyperemisis, hypertension, PUPPP, carpal tunnel....
    The list goes on! You can do this!!
    Me:35,  DH: 39   
    TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
    8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
    10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
    3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
    4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
    6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
    8/13: FET #1= BFN
    10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Holy cow! Some of you guys made it way longer than I think I could. Lol I work at a children's clothing store. It's not a hard job but it's a lot of standing, walking back and forth and moving heavy boxes. Don't fuss at me- I've been doing that less if possible! Lol but days like today, I almost walked out because being on my feet for hours and hours is taking its toll. Also, when I stand up, I get dizzy. I'm anemic so usually if I haven't eaten, then that happens but it's been all the time lately. Plus I've been having so many aches, extreme back pain and sciatic pain. I just feel like a big baby. Considering quitting soon.. As soon as i financially can. But it's making me miserable.
  • edited September 2014
    I have a desk job (although it does require occasionally walking around a large office building) and am trying to make it to 35 weeks. I'm at 32 at the end of this week and, even though I would say I have had an easy multiples pregnancy (nothing seriously wrong with me and I'm not at risk for PTL), I feel like I am hitting a wall. More so mentally than physically. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

• @ohhkello‌ You should have your doctor write a note for limitations. And you need to eat! I am a nurse, and we forget to take care of ourselves a lot in the busy-ness... my doctor asked them to let me off my feet every two hours for 15 minutes and that has helped a lot! And tons of water....
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"