Stay at Home Moms
Options

Ditch the paci?

At way age did your LOs get weaned from their paci? DD turned 2 a month ago and has really started to show how dependent she is on it. Our rule has been you only get your paci when you're going to sleep. A few months before her birthday, she would get out of bed and go place her paci on her bookshelf. Now, I find her randomly sneaking them out so she can use them. I want to get rid of it all together, but I don't know if this is too early or kind of late. She's an awesome sleeper right now, so I guess I'm just scared to rock the boat. I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking this.

After you ditched the paci and got back "on schedule" did your kids sleep less or the same amount they did with the paci?
BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17

Re: Ditch the paci?

• Options
    We went cold turkey at 2.5, and had been struggling to find a "good" time ditch it. We went to visit family OOT and DD didn't use the bink for two days. When we came home, we told her that binky was still on vacation. She cried and wanted to be rocked at bedtime for nearly a week, but then she was totally fine.

The biggest advice is don't chicken out. When you decide to get rid of it, you CANNOT cave in.

• Options
    I don't know, but I'm curious to hear what people say! My DD is my first paci addict out of three kids, and she turns 2 in December. She has it mostly for sleeping but she LOVES it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Lurker here, but we ditched DS's at 15 months old. One night, he simply forgot to put it in his mouth before going to sleep, so we threw them away, and he really never asked for them again. It was that easy. Our pediatrician told me before it happened that he did something similar with one of his kids.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @Spin313‌ and @Gastro‌ did you find at 2.5 they understood that it was going away? I like the idea of getting a toy and having to "pay" for it with pacis but I don't know if DD would get that right now. She might?
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    Stopped on her 3rd birthday.  Literally never napped again.  

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • Options

Stopped on her 3rd birthday.  Literally never napped again.  

This is what I'm scared of. It's nice to have a break in the middle of the day.
  • Options
    I will keep it to myself lets just say my kids were probably the oldest on this board.
  • Options

I will keep it to myself lets just say my kids were probably the oldest on this board.

For fear of losing naps? Or just dreading it?

I know I need to, I just....every time I think about it I start getting worked up over it. It's dumb and at some point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it. Sigh.
  • Options
    I don't think at bedtime and naptime is a big deal. If you want to do it, I think once you take it away you HAVE to stick to it otherwise it will make it harder the next time.

DD quit the Paci at 7.5ish months without any intervention. DS never took one. :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Aussie45 said:

@Spin313‌ and @Gastro‌ did you find at 2.5 they understood that it was going away? I like the idea of getting a toy and having to "pay" for it with pacis but I don't know if DD would get that right now. She might?

DD totally understood. I thought she'd be upset when she saw younger kids with pacifiers, but she didn't. For a while, she would tell other kids, "my binky went on vacation!"

For me, I don't like the idea of a trade in. I would worry that the child would want to "trade back" and resent the new toy/item.

• Options
    Aussie45 said:
    For fear of losing naps? Or just dreading it? I know I need to, I just....every time I think about it I start getting worked up over it. It's dumb and at some point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it. Sigh.

{ STUCK IN THE BOX }

Honestly, there is no rush.  I mean whatever.  If you think she is ready, take it.  If she still uses it to sleep/soothe etc. then just leave her be.  Choose your battles.  I had DD potty trained and in a big bed before we worried about it.  I heard this crazy myth that some kids actually give it up on their own.  Maybe you'll get lucky haha.  

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/
  • Options
    AndrewsgalAndrewsgal member
    edited September 2014
    Aussie45 said:

For fear of losing naps? Or just dreading it?

I know I need to, I just....every time I think about it I start getting worked up over it. It's dumb and at some point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do it. Sigh.
    Yes it was fear of naps. Sadly they both gave them up when we ditched it.
  • Options
    For those of you that ditched them, what did you do if a younger sibling was still using one?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS1 was just over 3.5  in march he climbed out of his crib so we had to convert to a toddler bed.  They kept falling out of bed so we just refused to go in and get it for him.  In the morning I would just collect what I saw.  he tried his brother's binky (which thankfully was totally different) a couple times and just moved on.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    Reese is nearly 3 and a half and still has hers. Mostly when she is tired/relaxing and in the car. We have ONE left. I feel so guilty taking it away from her though, and her dentist doesn't have a problem with her having it either right now.
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    Right before she turned 2. She used the Nuks & chewed through the cylinder part that she sucks on. I freaked & worried about choking so I took it away. Told her it broke. & that was it. No more pacifier. & she still naps :)

Granted she asked for the pacifier every night for 2-3 weeks. I kept saying it was broken & would change the subject. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"