Working Moms

Intro and Attorney Career Question

I've lurked here since I've gone back to work at my law firm about 4 months ago since having my first, who is now 7 months old. I am an attorney and have practicing for 3 years, dealing mostly with insurance defense at a mid sized firm. Recently, I got a job offer to work as an insurance adjuster for complex claims (they only hire JDs to do this as company policy, though legally being an attorney is not necessary). I'm really considering taking it because it would be the same pay with way less hours and better benefits. However, a lawyer friend warned me that taking off my attorney hat will most likely kill my career for 10+ years, and cutting off the opportunity to eventually go in-house. Anyone work in-house or just attorneys in general that can weigh in? I want to have more time for my family, but don't want to box myself out of law for the long term...

Re: Intro and Attorney Career Question

• I'm an attorney as well; I went from biglaw to in-house with a hospital system.  In my in-house role, I deal with a lot of insurance adjusters on high end deals in roles similar to your possible position.  If you do insurance defense type work anyway (so similar specialty to what you would be doing as a claims manager), I think it is a great opportunity unless you want to jump back to being a trial lawyer someday.  For in-house work, it is probably more relevant than litigation experience in my mind because a lot of your job as an in-house lawyer is to assess risk to your organization and reserve the risk appropriately.  I will also say that I had similar concerns after I came in house.  After initially coming in as a Assistant General Counsel, I was offered a Director of Risk Management position, which was a promotion but not JD required position.  I did that for a few years then took a GC job at my same organization.  For me at least, that interim step opened up a lot of doors for me and helped me escape the billable hours grind.  Good luck whatever you decide!
  • @beachdweller1‌ Thanks so much for your response. That helps a lot!
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with all of the above. It's not necessarily a bad move - it could be a great move.

However, I think when you leave firms to go in-house in general, it is hard to get back into a firm again. I work in a GC position and while I haven't ever tried to go back to firm life, my impression is that if I wanted to leave here and go work at an actual law firm, it would difficult to do that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• It may be a bit difficult if you want to go in house, unless you started in a Claims position (at least in my company). But as far as leaving the law for a bit, I took a 2 year developmental assignment overseeing huge engineering and construction projects. It was the scariest thing I ever did (I was the only female in North America doing that job in my industry), but it was great for my career. It also made me a better lawyer. No one can claim my legal advice doesn't take practical realities into consideration, and I often tell other lawyers, "That's all well and good, but it isn't going to work. Find another way to get us where we want to go."
  • Do it. 

I want to do it. 

Do it for me.

Just.  Do it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• My husband is a patent attorney. One of his co-workers left and went in-house for a couple of years. She actually went back to the firm b/c she was a little bored being in-house and also thought the hours were less flexible. She probably worked less hours/week, but it had to be 8/9-5pm. At the firm, hours worked can be flexible (ie-doctor appointment/sick kid, etc). I would think that you could return to your firm (if you ever wanted to) if you give adequate notice and leave on good terms.

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• Thanks for the help everyone. Put my notice in today and I can't wait for this new step!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"