February 2014 Moms

UO

What exciting and controversial unpopular opinions do you have today?
F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
   Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: UO

• I love wearing footie pajamas.
  • Loading the player...

This is a UO??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I think college athletes should get paid.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• iwubrory said:

I love wearing footie pajamas.

This is a UO??
    DH told me it was.
  • I think college athletes should get paid.
    I agree that someone makes a huge amount of money on college sports, but I'd have a problem if college athletes made a huge paycheck. I support tuition waivers and smallish stipends, but no way should a 20 year old football player be making a salary that rivals what a tenured prof is making.
    Tenured profs don't make all that much (especially in liberal arts fields) :(

I just think we should generally quit pretending that all college athletes are there for the education.  Many of them can't cut it academically but they can't play if they don't pass.  Let's call a spade a spade and treat them like university employees.

• Missy0483Missy0483 member
    edited September 2014
    I really really get annoyed when people refer to grown men as boys. I'm referring to college/pro football mainly. "Lets go boys!!!!" Drives me insane. They are men, not middle schoolers! I'm not sure why this bothers me so much :-??
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Missy0483 said:
    I really really get annoyed when people refer to grown men as boys. I'm referring to college/pro football mainly. "Lets go boys!!!!" Drives me insane. They are men, not middle schoolers! I'm not sure why this bothers me so much :-??

***Stuck***

I have an acquaintance on FB that calls her fiance "My sweet boy". Like hashtags EVERY picture. He is almost 40. Makes me twitchy every time. 
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Soap1 said:
    I think college athletes should get paid.
    Yeah I can't say I agree with this. They are already getting a free education and other benefits. And let's be realistic here. The number of these athletes that actually make it to a professional level is not that high in comparison with how many student athletes there are. So the benefit of the education is actually worth more to the majority of these students. What happens when these athletes graduate and don't get drafted and are now left to find a job completely outside of the sport they played? They need to be able to rely on that education they received. To me that's payment enough... higher education is expensive!
    But what if they aren't able to cut it academically?  Some athletes can barely pass their courses.  Some are barely literate.  Some take courses that are basically jokes just so they can pass and play.  Should they get Bachelors degrees?  Isn't that devaluing your degree and my degree and everyone's degree to make a BA/BS so easy that someone who is barely literate can earn one?

This is absolutely not applicable to all athletes.  Many are highly successful in school AND on the field.  But for those who can't cut it academically, they should just be hired to play football, completely external to academia.  In my opinion :)

• Soap1 said:
    I think college athletes should get paid.
    Yeah I can't say I agree with this. They are already getting a free education and other benefits. And let's be realistic here. The number of these athletes that actually make it to a professional level is not that high in comparison with how many student athletes there are. So the benefit of the education is actually worth more to the majority of these students. What happens when these athletes graduate and don't get drafted and are now left to find a job completely outside of the sport they played? They need to be able to rely on that education they received. To me that's payment enough... higher education is expensive!
    I totally agree with this. It's also a slippery slope with other sports. I went to a D1 school, and the only revenue generating sports were hockey and football (and some years, mens' basketball, but we've been pretty terrible lately so I'm not sure the revenue is matching outlay). But we have other scholarship sports... sailing, track and field, field hockey, ect. Paying the players in the revenue sports would kill some of the scholarship options for Olympic/non-revenue sports, and ESPECIALLY womens' athletics (it would be impossible for schools to pay players AND meet Title IX obligations without seriously hindering the number of programs they could offer). Scholarship athletes ARE "paid" in the form of free tuition and other expenses (which at my alma mater isn't cheap!). Do I think there's a middle ground that can be reached where more stipend money is made available to help kids travel home to see their families and cover expenses to keep them in school til they graduate? Sure. Do I think there should be caps on what college coaches can be paid to X amount more than the lowest paid worker at a university? Absolutely. But treating athletes as employees rather than students crosses a line for me that honestly would make me stop supporting NCAA athletics.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day

My feet are sweating just thinking about this.

Bahahaha, I read "I love footie pajamas." As in, for babies. You're DH is right, definitely a UO! @shellbell3845

• Noethola said:

Missy0483 said:

***Stuck***

I have an acquaintance on FB that calls her fiance "My sweet boy". Like hashtags EVERY picture. He is almost 40. Makes me twitchy every time. 

Ha Noethola, I call DS "my sweet boy", weird to think someone calls their SO that.

• @dnmolakides - I walk on the left because my dog heels on my left. Therefore I can move him into the grass when someone is coming, and I am physically between my dog and other people.

I didn't know so many people still use pens at all. Almost everything I do is electronic, including digital signatures. If I need a pen, I'm lucky to find one on my desk that works.
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • S/O college athletes, I think the thing that's really ridiculous is the enormous discrepancy between what the college coaches are paid (millions of dollars per year, in many cases), and what the athletes are "paid."  BIL played D1 football and said many of the star players couldn't afford to live off campus or even go out for pizza.  It's ridiculous that they can't even sign a jersey for money without getting in trouble.

A New York Times writer laid out a really good plan for how paying college athletes could actually work, a few years ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/lets-start-paying-college-athletes.html?pagewanted=all

When the article was written, in 2011, the combined salary of the top 10 highest-paid college football coaches was $53.4 million.  This is a really long article, but definitely worth reading if you're interested in this topic.

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • @sdlaura‌ I agree with you. When I was a grad student, the football coach was the highest paid state employee. By a lot. (I have a big problem with that, btw.) The football players were probably getting tuition waivers, but so was I, and I sure didn't earn the university any money or fame. (And my professors were certainly not paid what the coach was!)
  • @notreal2 I'm so with you on the pen thing.  My husband leaves blue ink pens that deceivingly look like my black ink pens lying all around.  He doesn't understand why I get pissed.

One of these days, he's getting a blue pen to the eye.  OK, that's a little extreme but for real, not cool DH.  
  • carleys said:
    I accept all inks regardless of their color :-)

I don't want to buy ANY squeezable 'pouch' baby foods and I am very suspect of the one that came in the citrus lane pouch....

************************************Stuck in box*********************************

Can I ask why? Just curious...

• carleys said:

I accept all inks regardless of their color :-)

I don't want to buy ANY squeezable 'pouch' baby foods and I am very suspect of the one that came in the citrus lane pouch....

Oh Jesus...pouches are a huge debate on SAHM board.
  • FWIW I don't think anyone is sad or whatever about it.  I've actually noticed it happen early on in the thread, like 1st or 2nd page.  Just a generic "sorry I haven't been around for the last 3 days, hugs to everyone" even when no one has posted anything about needing hugs yet. That's what I meant.

And hey, maybe those people are genuine but it just feels odd to me. ::shrug::

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"