Breastfeeding
Options

supply question

Ok....I am not complaining,....my 8 week old goes from about 8:00 pm to 3:00 or 4:00 am sleeping.  Is this going to hurt my supply?  Pedi said by 2 months they should go about 7 hours at night.  I just feel like she isn't getting enough. she gained a pound from 2 weeks to 4 weeks.....in the last 3 weeks she hasn't gained even a whole pound (based on me holding her on my scale).  I feed her every 2-3 hours during the day....more often in the evening before bed.  I am just worried about my supply....I nursed my first until 16 months and my second weened himself at 10 months. I would like to go a year.

Just didn't know if anyone had advice from a LC or experience. Thanks.

Re: supply question

• Options
    I have no experience, but I wanted to point out that your method of weighing her is probably not accurate. If you're this concerned, can you rent a baby scale to use at home? Also, is she doing the correct amount of wet/dirty diapers?
  • Options
    I would tend to think that if she is having enough wet diapers and is sleeping long stretches at night she is getting enough. When I EP'd if my guy didn't get 32 oz in a day he would not sleep through the night. So if she is getting 7-8 hour stretch I think she is satisfied for the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, congrats on how awesome your baby is sleeping!  I agree with PPs that you should keep an eye on her diapers.  If you're really nervous about how much she's eating, you can always do a weighted feeding with an LC.  I think the best thing you can do with your LO while she's so young is to BF on demand instead of a schedule.  Enjoy all the sleep you're getting!
  • Options
    If she's having enough wet/dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry. If she's on track with her weight gain, then she's probably fine and will let you know when she's hungry. In regards to your supply, I exclusively pump and my son is sleeping through the night so I've started changing my pump schedule. I pump about every 3 hours during the day, and then my longest stretch is at night (my last pump is around 11:30-12, and then again around 6-6:30 when I wake up). I've been using a pump tracker on my iPad since the beginning, and my supply has not been affected at all by weaning back on my night pumping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"