February 2013 Moms
Options

And a question about tantrums

How much tantrum throwing is normal? For the past month or so, it seems like DD1 is throwing tantrums, pushing boundaries, not listening, etc. pretty much all day long unless we take her out of the house to go do something (playground, pool, etc.). If she's doing something she's not supposed to, I usually give two warnings, count to three, then give her a time out if she still hasn't stopped. Now when we put her in time out, she screams at the top of her lungs. An outsider would probably think she's being beaten! We also try to distract with other activities, etc. Anyway, FI thinks that the frequency and severity of her tantrums/whining is not normal. I personally think she's a difficult toddler, just like she was a difficult baby, but she still acts normal for a toddler. I keep telling FI we just have to be consistent, and she'll eventually grow out of it/learn what's ok and not ok. How does one distinguish whether a toddler's tantrums and whining is normal or not anyway?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: And a question about tantrums

• Options
    Welcome to the terrible 2s!  :)  Fun, right?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am inclined to say normal. DS has them plenty too...especially when we come in from outside, or I try to make him take a bath before hes ready, or I give him something for dinner when he would rather have something else.  One thing i try REALLY hard to do is limit my "no's". I found myself saying no constantly, so now instead, I try to redirect him. When hes climbing over the couch for the 7th time, I pick him up and when he starts to kick I bring him to a puzzle or his animals or something else to play instead and that usually distracts him.  We dont do timeouts. He doesnt get it and doesnt stay put, so for us its ineffective.  I also always get to eye level when I am trying to discipline him, it seems to calm him down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on Team That's Normal

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    Sounds normal. Mine is challenging most things lately, including naps and bathtime, which he usually loves. It's just the age.

• Options
    Sounds normal. We eliminate as many temptations as we can but she can still find stuff I have to say "no" to. In the meantime my house looks like The Little Gym-slash-a pediatrician's office.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah sounds normal. There are becoming little adults and they want what they want!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Totally normal. Especially considering the newbie. Her whole world is upside down and she can't fully express her frustration.

We are in the same exhausting camp. :) Hugs! And ~O)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I tried to tell FI that everyone I know who has a toddler says they act the same way, but he wouldn't believe me. Maybe now if I tell him I've polled a bunch of women on the internet he'll believe me!  :))

• Options
    Add my vote to normal. DD doesn't have constant tantrums, maybe a couple a day, and they are doozies. If I can, I just walk away and play either toys, and she will eventually join me, but other times I'm truly worried he will hurt herself, and I end up holding her until he calms down.

But she is constantly testing limits. Like, I'll tell her not to throw something, so then she will hold it up and let go and say "Drop?" Constantly looking for loopholes in whatever rules I've made for her.

But tantrums an testing limits is totally normal, they dont have the words to express frustration at this age, and their trying to figure out just what is and isn't allowed. Just keep doing what you're doing, don't give in to tantrums and provide consequences that will teach her the behavior is unacceptable, and eventually she should get over the toddler tantrum phase. ;-)

• Options
    You're not alone. Kieran has really been pushing boundaries with us. We've just started using timeouts. No advice but it's probably a phase. Just keep being consistent.
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"