2nd Trimester

I want a new doctor

My doctor made me feel uncomfortable at my last appointment. I am probably overreacting, but I really don't care. I want a new one, and not to be sexist, but I want a LADY doctor. Can I just go to a new doctor and have my file transferred without having to deal with my old doctor's office?

Re: I want a new doctor

• I'm not sure, I would think that is something you would have to ask the new doctor and see what they say. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Find a new doctor.

At the end you spend a lot of time with them and you want to feel comfortable. The new office will know the process to get your charts.
    Baby #2 - BFP 6/13/2014 - EDD 2/17/2015 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just go to a new doc! The person taking care of you and your baby should be sensitive to all of your needs.
  • Call a new doctor. Schedule an appointment. Fill out the paperwork for your records to be transferred from the old office.
    This exactly. I had to switch doctors at 30 weeks because my insurance changed. I just made an appointment with a new office, went to the website of the old office, printed out a release of information form and had my records sent over to the new doctor. It was easy.

• Call a new doctor. Schedule an appointment. Fill out the paperwork for your records to be transferred from the old office.

This. I just changed doctors and this is all I had to do. The practice of my new dr doesn't accept patients after 24 weeks, not sure why or how common that is, so id do it quick!

BabyFruit Ticker  

• I just switched and it was really easy. I called the new OB I wanted to be seen by and made sure she was willing to take me before I did anything. All I had to do was sign a records release form and had my old OB office fax my records to her office. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I had switched from my original doctor to a doctor closer to my home and was very unhappy with their "service." I decided to go back to my original doctor, but I had to have any paperwork and tests transferred to my original doctor. Upon calling the office I was dissatisfied with them informed me there would be a fee to fax any paperwork. My original doctor's office called them and had the paperwork sent, free of charge. I let them know how unhappy I was and they were more than willing to do what needed to be done on my behalf.

I'm sorry if that's confusing. I hope you were able to follow it. 

Best of luck. 
  • Yes, you can switch without dealing with the old office. Make sure you are accepted by a new doc then sign a release of information for them to get your records. Sorry for your experience, hope the new gal works better for you! :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you're seeing a physician in a group they usually share medical records. If you find someone you like in that group, just ask to be scheduled with them. Look at reviews online and if you can get word of mouth reviews from people you know that would be ideal. You'll find someone good.. just switch sooner than later.
    BabyFetus TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary

imageimage

I'm a Dork. I Can't Wait for Dumb and Dumber To!

ME 28 - DH 30 ♥♥Married 7/25/2009♥♥
    Father's Day 2014 - 6/15/14 BFP!
    DD Born 12/8/2011 I Love my Mini-Me

• I guess it depends on the office because many people here have different suggestions.

I went to an OB for annual visits for the last 5 years and she was fine, but after getting pregnant I realized she didn't quite jive with me. I don't agree with a lot of her ideas on medical intervention and she acted like a kid most of the time and it was so annoying. At 12 weeks I called and asked to pick up my records that I would be going to a new practice. The nurse called me the next day and said my file is ready and I could come pick it up - I just had to sign a release form. Then you take that file with you to your new doctor. Easy peasy and no feelings are hurt - you are the customer and can take your business wherever you want.

In your case, I would see if there are any doctors in the current practice you want to meet and schedule your next prenatal with that doctor. Then you can just tell the office clerk that you want that to be your doctor. Usually deliveries, if you are not a scheduled induction or cesarean, are shared by whoever in the practice is on call so be aware that your delivering doctor could still be the one you don't like. 

I switched to a midwife practice where I know 100% who will be delivering my child, their views on intervention, and have also met with their collaborating OB to have an emergency backup. I couldn't be happier and am so glad I switched even though it was a bit uncomfortable telling the receptionist I didn't want to be a patient anymore lol!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had switched from my original doctor to a doctor closer to my home and was very unhappy with their "service." I decided to go back to my original doctor, but I had to have any paperwork and tests transferred to my original doctor. Upon calling the office I was dissatisfied with them informed me there would be a fee to fax any paperwork. My original doctor's office called them and had the paperwork sent, free of charge. I let them know how unhappy I was and they were more than willing to do what needed to be done on my behalf.

I'm sorry if that's confusing. I hope you were able to follow it. 

Best of luck. 
    It's actually pretty common for patients to have to pay a fee for records, while they are sent between offices without charge. The same way if I requested my hospital records I would have to pay but my MW's office can get them free of charge. Much of the time now they can be sent between offices electronically.

OP just find a new office and let them request the records. No need to contact the old office again at all unless you have an outstanding bill or something- you don't need to explain why you are switching.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was a receptionist at a dr office and we frequently had people switch either to us or from us. We always had the patient request the records. Usually it's not a big deal. If they get snarky the new office can call. They are usually too busy to do that most of the time.
    I switched OBs at 24 wks with #1. Many docs here didn't want to take someone that far along. The doc I got is great and will be delivering #3 too. You have to be comfortable with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"