October 2013 Moms
Options

To all the O13-ers who are comparing milestones...

Hey guys--I just wanted to put this out there for whatever it is worth. It will be a novel. You have been warned.

Everyone always tells us that babies all develop at their own pace. And we all believe it at first and repeat it without really thinking about it.

And then, around 12-18 months, it gets a little scary for a lot of moms on these boards. Trust me--I know! We start reading all these stories about 11 month olds who can read Dr. Seuss and who have already worn out their first pair of shoes training for a baby marathon. And get emails from the what to expect websites telling us what our baby "should be" doing that week/month.

My daughter took her first steps at almost 15 months, which was late-ish, but still within the normal range. My husband wasn't concerned at all because she was cruising and seemed okay with physical stuff. But the boy who was also watched by our nanny every day started walking at 9 months. So, for more than five full months, he was walking (and running) around, while my daughter got frustrated because she couldn't catch him, yet she didn't want to let go and just walk already. Finally, she took her first step. And then some more. And now (at 2.5 years) she and her little friend are zooming all over the playground. She may not be the most graceful toddler in the world, but no one would be able to pick out what kid walked at 9 months and what kid walked at 14.5 months.

With the talking thing, it was even more concerning (to me--again, my husband was not concerned). I kept reading on my first BMB about all these super verbal babies. Obviously, it is fun to talk about super verbal babies, so there were lots of stories--and it seemed like that was all I was reading. My kiddo just barely, barely eeked by each checkup with pretty much exactly the minimum number of words necessary to not get referred for evaluation. She didn't say mama until 14 months (my son also isn't saying mama--they are apparently both all about daddy).

I could tell she understood a lot of what i was saying, But at two, she still hadn't said a single two-word phrase or sentence. Ever. Our pediatrician noted that at least two word sentences is the milestone for two years, but she wasn't worried because she clearly understood what was being said to her. She told me to give it a couple more months before being concerned. There were moms on my birth month board around the two year mark whose toddlers were speaking in 5-6 word sentences. They were laughing about these intricate stories their toddler was telling them.

I read to her All. The . Time. Talked and sang constantly. Why wasn't she talking???? You don't even want to know how often I annoyed my husband with questions about what we could possibly do to help her (his answer--"she is developing normally. Don't worry. We don't need to do anything differently. Seriously." Etc.)

Well, the night after her 2 year visit, I was changing clothes. She grabbed my shirt and said "no!! Me clothes!!" She then pulled my shirt over her head and ran out the closet door. I seriously cried. It was so nice to hear that two-word phrase. Even if it had to be a bratty terrible-two phrase!

She has continued to ramp it up verbally. Now, at 2.5, she is telling me little stories and telling me about her day. The pediatrician was totally blown away at her last checkup. All that time spent worrying is just time I can't get back now.

Tl:dr: Kids all develop so differently. All the stress I spent worrying about why my kid wasn't meeting the crazy feats I read about on my first BMB was wasted. It is not a competition. And there are all sorts of studies out there that show the age when kids hit milestones has little to do with their future aptitude in that area. This time around, I have made myself promise not to stress unless my husband (or pediatrician) tells me to pay attention to something. Otherwise, I am just enjoying everything as it happens. So, so much nicer to live life without that sick feeling that your kid is not measuring up to the AW posts on these boards. Just enjoy the ride!

----

Yeah, yeah. Lots of you aren't going to read this because it is too long. That's fine. I just thought I would put it out there in case there are other anxious mamas who are going through what I did last time around...

Re: To all the O13-ers who are comparing milestones...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jalee85 said:

I always read your novels. In my particular case I was told it was abnormal, but I totally get your point. I worked with kids with developmental disabilities all the way up until I got pregnant.

I tried so hard these last 11 months not to compare, but now that I know there is an issue it's getting harder not to compare, or at least get incredibly envious. That some parents are having experiences that I can't even envision possible at the moment.

Jalee--I was a counselor each summer in high school and college at a camp for kids with muscular dystrophy. It was the best experience of my life and where I made some amazing friends with both the campers and counselors. The motto that we always discussed was to celebrate everything. Every single thing. When you are really working for milestones vs. just noticing one day that your kid can now do "x", it gives you a different appreciation for how complicated everything that we do really is--and how amazing the human body is to carry out even the most "basic" tasks. It is really amazing that any of us can adequately balance on two legs and walk in a straight line! Lots of hugs!
  • Options

I just want to add that just because someone's baby is doing something before someone else's doesn't mean they are trying to be an AW or make anyone else feel bad either. What they do is out of our control on both ends of the spectrum. It is what it is.

Babies be crazy.

Totally not what I was trying to imply!! I was just saying "aw" in jest--as from the perspective who was reading about these kids reciting Shakespeare when mine was still speaking one word at a time.
  • Options

I just want to add that just because someone's baby is doing something before someone else's doesn't mean they are trying to be an AW or make anyone else feel bad either. What they do is out of our control on both ends of the spectrum. It is what it is.

Babies be crazy.

Totally not what I was trying to imply!! I was just saying "aw" in jest--as from the perspective who was reading about these kids reciting Shakespeare when mine was still speaking one word at a time.
    Oh no! I know you're not implying that. Just a general statement. :)

Jude Beckham 10/23/2013   Sean & Chels 03/08/2012

• Options
    What is NT?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    sleepy33 said:

What is NT?

Neuro typical.

• Options
    Avoiding the long quote tree-- @crunchymama11‌ I don't know that acronym in any other context except symphysis pubic dysfunction, which I had with both pregnancies. But I don't think that it fits in this context?
  • Options
    sensory processing disorder- used to be sensory integration
    My 5 yo has that.. She spins until she's sick, throws herself head first into things and completely lacks the ability to be gentle. Very sensory seeking. It's actually very interesting as my DD has gotten older and been diagnosed to see that things she has always done that seemed strange actually have a name and a treatment. It's been a battle and one that at many times where I felt I was the only one noticing concerns, so I do appreciate parents that are going through this and the stress it can cause. 
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    baconface said:

Thank you for this post - I know it's true, but I need constant reminders. I think it is one negative side to bumping - it forces you to compare constantly, and that can wreck you.

I totally agree!

• Options
    @crunchymama11 We're still figuring it out too. We're doing OT and she recently started meds. I'd love to discuss it more with you and where you're at in the process. I'm at work and mobile right now. I'll PM you tonight when I can respond properly.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • Options
    @sooner1981‌ Thank you for posting! It's hard not to compare, but having a preemie throws another caveat into the mix, which makes things that much more confusing. It's hard to remember that while she's almost 14mos actual, she's not even 12mos adjusted yet.

@mancila60‌ Also being a preemie mom (30-weeker) it's hard to see comparisons and milestones. LO says dada but won't say mama at all. When I say where's mama, she'll point to a mama dog in her favorite book (which I'm also apparently reading wrong lol), so that's cool.
  • Options
    I also thought this was very useful and reassuring!

My DD's gross motor skills are very good, but language not so much. Doesn't consistently say any words, but she had mastered shaking her head 'no'. Go figure.
  • Options

I also thought this was very useful and reassuring!

My DD's gross motor skills are very good, but language not so much. Doesn't consistently say any words, but she had mastered shaking her head 'no'. Go figure.

This. DS can walk, but does not say anything except mama and dada, and I've never seen him shake his head yes or no. Quite frankly, until reading this thread, I didn't know that was a thing he was supposed to be doing yet.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely needed to hear this today, too. Thanks for writing your thoughts, @sooner1981.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"