December 2013 Moms
Options

Target card

Does anyone have a Target card? Every time I go, they try to get me to sign off and save 5% with each purchase. We don't like store cards as a rule, but I'm wondering whether this might be worth trying. Last time, the cashier told me that you can get a traditional credit card or a debit card that comes out of your checking account. The debit card sounds appealing. Does anyone have experience with this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Target card

• Options
    Oh my goodness I was going to ask this exact same question.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cool. I wasn't sure whether you still got the 5% off with the debit card option. The cashier was confusing me when she was talking about it. It sounded like one of the cards didn't offer the 5% off, so I wasn't sure what the point would be, in that case.

• Options
    I need to get the debit card. My mil has the debit card version. and I wanna say that some money goes back to schools. I don't know if you get to specify what school or if it's just local schools.
  • Options
    I have the debit card one too! It made sense to me since I would be paying with my debit card anyway. Might as well save 5%... Plus free shipping.
    I applied for mind online since I never carry my checkbook. But you can do it at the register with a voided check.
  • Options
    I have the regular credit card, but may switch to the debit to save myself the trouble of paying the bill every month. They will also send you targeted [hahaha] coupons based on what you buy, so, for instance, I just got a bunch of buy-5-get-one-free on baby food pouches. Target donates 5% to local public schools, but you don't get to choose which one, I think it's just whatever district the store is in.
  • Options
    I have the regular card and love it. I have my card set to autopay, so I don't have to remember to pay it. I also picked my hometown school to receive 1% of my purchases, even with it being in a different state.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• Options
    I've been considering it as well. I always stay away from any store credit cards because I have no self control (learned my lesson on that one) but the debit card one would be fine. Although I have been trying to stay out of target lately, and I've actually done quite well!

• Options
    I use my red card combined with the cartwheel app all the time. I've saved hundreds of dollars this year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have both, but lately I've been using the debit card more. Love the 5% off and the coupons!
  • Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I think I'll get the debit card too :)
  • Options
    I have the credit card version and it's been awesome. I also have auto-pay set up so I don't have to remember to pay the bill. I'm not a fan of debit cards having direct access to my bank.
  • Options
    I have the debit card and another good thing about it is that you get free shipping on Target.com.  That's actually why I got it originally - I wanted to order a comforter they didn't carry in the stores but I hate paying for shipping.  There is a Super Target right down the street from our new house so I plan to do most of my shopping there to save the extra 5% on our groceries.
  • Options
    A friend told me that it takes a while for money to come out of your acct. using the debit card? Anybody had that issue? I "balance" my checkbook online and need things to come out right then!
  • Options
    @notkateanymore - It may depend on the bank.  I bank with Chase and it is usually out of my account the next business day.  Maybe some of the smaller bank/credit unions take longer?
  • Options
    I bank with BOA and it does take 1-3 days.
  • Options
    I haven't been able to get DH on board with a Target debit card yet.  He was super paranoid about the data breach last year.  Although with dropping a pretty penny on LO's diapers and formula there, I think he's beginning to come around. 

Married 8/2012
    DS born 12/2013 @ 41w2d
    BFP #2 EDD 10/2015

• Options

I have the debit card! I love it! Comes right out of my checking so it's just like using my debit which I would have done anyways. I've saved like $900 this year!!
    Please please tell me that this is a typo and that you haven't spent $18,000 at Target this year!  @-)
  • Options
    ugoglencocougoglencoco member
    edited September 2014
    I meant to say $600 but that still means I spent $12000 at target this year. BUT, to my defense we bought our new tv, entertainment center, 2 iPads, a sound bar, a new xbox when LO broke it... On top if the usual clothes, diapers, wipes, formula, groceries, cleaning supplies, toys, dog food etc. I buy everything at target. It's a problem.

OH and DH gets a lot of his office supplies there, too
  • Options
    @ugoglencoco‌ We buy everything there too. I hit a Target rock-bottom a few weeks ago. I was shopping there and realized that EVERYTHING I was wearing (including shoes, bra and underwear) were from Target. I haven't wanted to buy new clothes anywhere more expensive because I still haven't lost all the baby weight. Maybe it's time I branched out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"