Special Needs

Bragplaint

I met my neighbors last night, but not the way I wanted to...

DS and DD and I were playing outside until my DH was off work.  About 45 minutes later DS said "I broke my glasses".  I frantically looked around realizing they were not on his face.  He is receptively speech delayed, so this is so not a good situation.  I said "Where are your glasses?"  He smiled and walked away and started playing with toys. 

"Where are your glasses?"

"DS!  Where are your glasses?"

DS says "I don't know"  (He has referred to himself in third person until a week ago when he all of a sudden started saying me, my and I)  So this is the brag because I have never ever heard him use this phrase--- let alone correctly.  So i asked him again in a super happy voice thinking, ok, maybe he will say something.  He tells me they are broke again.  I ask if they are inside or outside.  He squeals "OUTSIDE!  Glasses are outside momma!!"

So I take him outside and ask him to show me.  He immediately gets excited because now its dark and my flashlight was apparently the coolest thing ever.  I get him to stop doing laps around the yard (I always wonder if ADHD is in our future) and he tells me this little gem

"The glasses on the fence.  Glasses on the fence momma!"

So now its 8pm.  I am knocking on doors of neighbors to ask if I can look in their yards for these glasses.  I don't find them.  I call his eye doctor in the morning (of course he has vision therapy on Tues/Thurs) and they say he can still come even without them.  My husband texts me on my way home from work.  He found them on his lunch break.... under the couch.  The same couch I looked all over-- the room I already ransacked looking for the stupid glasses.

So after all of that, do you think this is a receptive delay child's response to losing his glasses-- just give an answer-- or do you think he forgot and just wanted to give me an answer?  He has the world's most amazing memory-- rote memorizes the first time he sees something and remembers things with the most amazing accuracy.  I just have a hard time thinking he didn't know where they were, but like I said, he has a receptive delay.  This has me worried a bit.  Obviously the glasses were never over the fence.  Last week though-- he tossed his sister's shoe out of the window while we were driving and then started crying and told me what he did.  I didn't see it happen, but sure enough, about a mile back--- there was her little shoe

Re: Bragplaint

• Had to laugh at the shoe part. Lol. Did you end up getting the shoe back?
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • YES!  Amazingly I found them.  In fact, while he was balling in the back seat, this woman pulled up next to me as I was driving, put her window down and quickly told me what he did.  It was nice of her. (although he already told me five seconds earlier.)

So, yeah,  I bought them matching shoes over the summer. She is 18 months and he just turned 4.  This is actually a pic of the shoes the day I bought them that I texted to my SIL.  I thought it was so cute.  i just bought them nike tennis shoes for the fall that match too.  Hers are gray and pink and his are grey and neon yellow :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"