Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Potty Training. Help!

Hello everyone i have a beautiful daughter who will be 2 next week (oct 1st) and i really want to get her started on potty training but she doesnt want to. Shes scared and idk how to get her started... any suggestions???

Re: Potty Training. Help!

• Options
    Hi!
    I recommend waiting until she shows interest.  But talk to her all the time about in a positive, non demanding way.  I took DD1 with me almost every time I went, and we sang songs, did pee pee dances, put stickers on the wall in her bathroom, and clapped when I was done.  One day she just said, I don't want to wear a diaper anymore, and THEN we started potty training.  We did the three day no pants no panties method, and celebrated for her the same way we had celebrated for me. She was early, but she was fully trained at 24.5 months.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    The easiest way to potty train is waiting until she's ready.  The less ready she is, the longer the whole process will take.  And just because you're ready, does not mean she is.

Introduce her to the potty in a natural, nondemanding way.  Start announcing when you're going to use it, invite her to join you, ask if she needs to go.  And leave it at that.

I can almost guarantee that at a certain point, she's going to ask to go/want to wear underwear and "potty training" at that point just means pointing the way to the nearest restroom.  There's no actual training involved.  Of course, this may not happen as early as you'd like it to happen.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Please wait until she's ready. ( That means that she shows interest, imitates you, etc)
    I followed the "potty session" system, nothing complicated and easy to follow for moms with no patience like myself, this method is explained in the book " potty training girls: the easy way"
    My DD and I have a chart+ sticker reward thing going on, it works like a charm. After 3mo of on and off potty training sessions, I'm glad to say she's uses the potty by herself successfully and I am the happiest. 
    The whole potty thing is such a touchy subject for your kid,(for example, my dd got upset the first time she did #2 and we flushed it away,lol,  she wouldn't go for two days after that, but with kindness+acknowledgement of her feelings, and some explaining she was over it on the 3rd day)   you have to be as positive as you can, there will be times of endless frustration and biting bullets, but you'll both will be fine. Be kind.
    Oh and also, I used training panties, no pull ups because that confuses them. (except for very short periods of time, say, a party for 2hr) Hope this helps, I had no idea how to deal with this, but this worked for me.
  • Options
    Thank you all for replying and your all right about waiting for her to be ready. Shes scared of the flushing part lol she runs away. Its so cute! But anyway i will wait until shes ready and i will start to introduce her to the potty. Hopefully it works :)
  • Options
    DS just turned 2 this month and we've been letting him wear underwear around the house to get an idea of what the option is after diapers.  We also ask him if he wants to use the potty and sometimes he says yes and sometimes he says no.  We started off by putting him on the potty before bath (and never flushing).  That's what we did with DD as well.  

Just follow her lead.  
  • Options
    I agree with waiting until she is ready. All kids develop interests at different times. Read books about the potty, and have her watch you when you go. 
    Tyler Daniel (4) & Tessa Mary (2)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DD was 2.5 when she started showing interest. One day I just put her in undies and made her sit on the potty every 1/2 hour or so. When she went she got praise and an m&m (she wasn't interested in stickers at all.) It only took about 2 accidents before she figured out what the sensation of having to go was and to let me know that she had to go. About a month or so later, she no longer asked for m&ms....she was just proud that she went in the potty like a big girl. The m&ms just naturally phased out.

Also remember, that the bladder is kind of a muscle that has to be trained. In the beginning she couldn't hold her pee for very long. Now, she can hold it much longer.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options
    I agree with everyone else about waiting. My son was afraid to sit on the potty and would cry when we would ask him to. So we took a break and a few months later he was ready to start because he didn't want to keep a dirty diaper on etc. Two we gave jelly beans when he went which worked for us. When he wasn't ready you couldn't give him anything to get him on there. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"