Working Moms
Options

Quick healthy chicken prep that kids like?

I feel like my only options are grilled chicken w some ketchup to dip it in or chicken tenders which are generally not the healthy option... Kids have been rejecting grilled chicken lately and pretty much refuse anything resembling a veggie and only will dip in ketchup... At a loss any ideas for easy chicken prep if I am grilling it for me and mh that will make it more appealing for kids but not much work for me???

Re: Quick healthy chicken prep that kids like?

• Options
    I make baked nuggets that are coated in parm cheese and spices. No breadcrumbs. They are incredibly flavorful and juicy. We dip them in BBQ sauce, but I'm sure they would be good with ketchup.
  • Options
    i also make my own baked chicken tenders.  I just cut up chicken breasts into strips, and dip in eggs (or egg whites), then panko breadcrumbs.  Bake on a rack placed over a cookie sheet, or on a broiler pan.

Sometimes I change it up and add coconut to the panko breadcrumbs.  It's delicious, and the kids love it because it's sweet.  I also make "grown-up" versions for DH and I to eat over salad - add dijon mustard to the egg whites, and/or a few crushed crispy onions to the breadcrumb mixture.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I use honey mustard instead of egg whites but I also make my nuggets the same as @mae0111.

DS resists eating meat so I've decided not push the issue as long as he is getting enough non-meat protein. Fortunately, he loves eggs, beans, hummus and can eat peanut butter. I was worried about his pb intake but his pedi wasn't concerned.

• Options
    Good call on boiling! I have tried several variations on my own nuggets and they always take one look and say ewww disgusting and will barely even try them. It is awesome. I will try again tho...
  • Options
    Sometimes I buy rice-a-roni and cook cut up chicken breast with the rice from the instructions on the box. It's not the healthiest I'm sure, but it's a super easy comfort food kind of thing.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    https://cleanpl8.com/2010/08/26/sauteed-chicken-breast-in-orange-dijon-sauce/ I don't know how healthy you will think it is, because frankly, I see nothing wrong with breading a tenderized breast and pan frying it, so..... But, my kids enjoy the orange Dijon chicken above. I try to make enough for two nights.
  • Options
    Chicken parmesan but instead of bread crums u can use oats and ground flax seed doesnt get any better or yummier and i barely put any oil when i'm grilling them in the pan over the stove then i top them with marinara and low fat mozarella shreds and in the over they go and they r delish, serve with a side of sauted or pouched veggies
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options

I also make my own chicken fingers / nuggets with panko.

Another way DS will always eat chicken is if I make chicken soup.  I just drain the majority of the broth and give him the good stuff. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    Like PP I bake after dipping in egg and breadcrumbs but I do it on skinless chicken drumsticks (sometimes the family pack is only available with skin but it's pretty fast to cut off). Also I saute chicken thighs chopped up in small pieces and use for fajitas or tacos (although the kids don't eat lettuce and prefer their tomatos separately so a fajita is just chicken + shredded cheese in tortilla). In general my kids prefer the thighs MUCH more to the breasts. I think it's just jucier.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mae0111 said:
    i also make my own baked chicken tenders.  I just cut up chicken breasts into strips, and dip in eggs (or egg whites), then panko breadcrumbs.  Bake on a rack placed over a cookie sheet, or on a broiler pan.

Sometimes I change it up and add coconut to the panko breadcrumbs.  It's delicious, and the kids love it because it's sweet.  I also make "grown-up" versions for DH and I to eat over salad - add dijon mustard to the egg whites, and/or a few crushed crispy onions to the breadcrumb mixture.

we do this too! love.
  • Options
    My kids beg for this (it doesn't sound like something kids would like, but they love it).  And it's fast. They started off not eating the capers and now all three of them ask for me to make it with extra capers.   https://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=250042930
  • Options

I started marinating chicken in olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian seasoning, minced garlic,  thyme and I bake it in the oven.  It comes out so juicy and delicious.  I leave it to marinate in the fridge overnight and when I get home I just pop it in the oven.  You can really play with the seasonings too.  My DD who normally doesn't care for chicken gobbles it up.

Rosemary chicken is also popular with DD.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We do a LOT of roasted chicken here. 

Also baked chicken (with ritz crackers as breadcrumbs)
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    What about shredded chicken for tacos? Put some chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of salsa. My DS also really likes chicken quessidillas. They are easy to make and I don't think he realizes that he is actually eating the chicken alot of the times. 

Other favorites are chicken Parmesan, melt a little mozzarella and put some sauce on top. And what about thinking outside the box and making meatballs with ground chicken. You could serve them with spaghetti sauce or a gravy. Or you could make chicken pot pies (I cheat by buying the Pillsbury pie crusts).
    BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"