Potty Training
Options

How did you get your LO to wear underwear?

DS is well on his way to being potty trained. We are only using a diaper or two a day now, as he is doing really good with going on the potty! He is still not telling us when he needs to go, but seems to be holding it till I ask and put him on the potty. I try to ask and have him try every hour or so. Anyhow, I was thinking having him in underwear would help him understand that we use the potty and not the diaper, but he freaks out when I try to put underwear on him. He asks for a diaper or goes and grabs one from the diaper hamper (as we cloth diaper). So any suggestions for getting him switched over or excited about using underwear? 
*bumping under a new name since July 2014*
Married 9/4/11
BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
 7/31/09
BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

Re: How did you get your LO to wear underwear?

• Options
    We have been using disposables the past several days. As all our cloth is now washed and stripped. I just need to get the diapers out of his view. Good idea. Thanks. 
    *bumping under a new name since July 2014*
    Married 9/4/11
    BFP 4/5/09, EDD 12/4/09, m/c
     7/31/09
    BFP 5/27/11, EDD 1/17/12, DS born 1/16/12
    BFP 8/16/14, EED 4/29/15, We are having another BOY!

Lilypie Maternity tickers    image 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
    Yup. DS is Tommy Pickles! Nothing like living with an escape artist.
    Just another cloth diapering, baby wearing mama.

• Options
    We went straight to underwear when we started potty training. I brought him to the store with me to pick out a few packs of big boy underwear that he liked, he was so excited about his "tow truck undies" (Mater from Cars) that he couldn't wait to wear them.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We got car undies that aren't a cartoon. Sometimes those are scratchy. We also got plain colors. Since they are just for him he likes them.
  • Options
    I did everything above with no results from DD. Then we got the book Dinosaurs Love Underpants, and that worked wonders. (I've also seen Pirates Wear Underpants but can't vouch for that one.). We also talked about how every single cartoon character she loves wears underpants (Dora, Izzy, Tinker Bell) and how her baby brother wears diapers because he isn't big enough for underwear yet.
  • Options
    We got underwear with Elmo and Thomas the Tank Engine on it.
    We also talked about how if there were no more diapers, then he didn't have to do diaper changes anymore (he really hated diaper changes). I think that's what really cinched the deal for him.
    We also let him run around in just underwear, no pants, around the house. This one has slightly backfired in that now he takes off his pants when we get home. Oh well, at least he wears them at daycare and when we have company over.
  • Options
    Let him pick out his underwear. DS was super excited about his mickey mouse undies. Gives them a sense of control. We do a reward system too. One M&M for pee pee and two for poops.
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Options
    He loves the show "Caillou" so I found a book about Caillou potty training. Now he wants to be a big boy like Caillou. He also can't get promoted to the "Big boy" class until he is potty trained and he really wants to be moved to that class so we use that as a reminder.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"