3rd Trimester
Options

Maternity Workout Clothes

Hey ladies!

So, I am still in the early stages of pregnancy, but I'm a planner! I love to workout and plan on continuing to do so throughout my pregnancy, but I am curious about activewear. First off, do you or did you find that you needed maternity workout gear? I figure that a top is necessary, but I am wondering about bottoms, especially if the waistband is set low. Secondly, if you do or did need maternity activewear, which brands or stores did you look at? I'd like something that will hold up and live through more than just one pregnancy. Lastly, were there certain fits or cuts that were better for your baby bump? I've noticed some pants have a piece of fabric the half covers the belly... is this helpful or more comfortable? I'm obviously a first time mom, so please forgive any ignorance on my part! Thank you!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Maternity Workout Clothes

• Options

I bought a few shirts from Gap Fit maternity, but most of my tanks worked fine as they were stretchy.

As for pants, the ones that lasted all the way through (I stopped working out at 38 weeks) were the Ingrid and Isabel maternity work out pants from Nordstrom. Target does have a version that is similar, but they are a bit thinner and won't last as long but I liked them too at the end.

• Options
    It totally depends on what type of workout wear you currently use. I ended up needing both maternity tanks and maternity yoga pants & leggings. I could never find maternity workout shorts, and the waistbands on my old ones just hit the wrong place - it hurts! I also had to get a bigger sports bra. Target & Old Navy have had enough stuff to get me through.
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just sized up my workout cloths and they worked throughout my entire pregnancy. I just looked for workout cloths that seemed like they had a good stretch to them and bought on sale. It was much cheaper then buying maternity.
  • Options
    Yoga pants have been okay, but I needed to buy substitutes for all my compression stuff.  I bought 3 different types of workout pants from the Destination Maternity website when they were on sale, and I like them all.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    TashaPlusNikaTashaPlusNika member
    edited September 2014
    I do yoga twice a week and walk/run a few miles. Thus far, I've not needed maternity leggings to work out in, but I do own 2 pairs from pea in the pod because they were on sale. I find the belly band over the belly gets itchy and uncomfortable after a while, so I always fold it down, which is  why they're not any more or less comfortable than my Victoria Secret leggings. I find the ones with the 'fold over' band the most comfortable and possibly more so, because the pea in the pod ones are my size, but tend to slip downwards. 

As for tops. I have a few Champion ones from Target that still fit over my belly and Victoria Secret Pink tanks and tops are actually pretty long (though I'm 5'6, so not exactly short), so I haven't really needed to invest in maternity activewear. 

Any leggings that are not cotton, so, the spandex ones, I now find -very- uncomfortable and though they fit, I choose not to wear them anymore. They compress uncomfortably. 

In the end, it depends on your pace of weight gain/belly growth, which is still not a good factor to judge on as it varies tremendously, at least for me, from one month to the next. I didn't look very pregnant until 20 weeks, and stayed under 118lbs, 20-26 weeks, my weight suddenly went up to 126-128, now, at 27 weeks today I was 129 on the scale -.- that's a rather unpredictable pattern to work with 

TTC #2

Cycle 1:   (January/February)                            Cycle 2:  (February/March)

O - CD17                                                     O - CD15
    IB @ 11dpo                                                            11dpo-13dpo spotting
    BFP @ 12dpo (late pm)                         AF CD28 (late 13dpo)                     
    13dpo = positive fading all day
    14dpo beta = 7.2
    AF CD32 - Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy

CYCLE 3 (March/April) 
    O - CD19 
    8DPO - Faint BFP on Wondfo
    9DPO - Neg. on FRER
    11 DPO - BFP FRER
    14 DPO - Beta 123
    17 DPO - 784, yay! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't buy any new pants - I just wore my running shorts and leggings below my belly. I did need a few new shirts - all of my pre-pregnancy gear was tighter fitting racerbacks, etc. I didn't buy maternity, but bought a size up from nike or old navy. I didn't need those shirts until past 33/34 weeks. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks guys! This has been great!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm a workout fanatic and a dance teacher, and had a hard time finding workout clothes. Old Navy's pants are made of terrible material that stretches out too much falls down, and isn't flattering. By far the best workout clothes I've found are from Target, believe it or not. You may think these look ridiculous, but the belly panel looks good as far as holding in any muffin top, keeps the pants up, and makes you feels secure. The capri version of these is great too.  

Trust me, trust me, trust me....these are the best you will find.
  • Options
    I live gap for all maternity clothes because they look like their regular clothes just a maternity fit. I have some of their maternity gap fit shirts.
  • Options
    I agree with mrskittens! Target has by far the best, high quality maternity workout clothes.  I am a runner, a pilates instructor and a barre enthusiast. I work out every day - whether it's a run, pilates, a barre class or just light weights.  I needed clothes that would last a pregnancy +, even with being worn almost every day/3-4 times a week.  I LOVE the BeMaternity line at Target for workout pants. They have the panel and the material holds up well, fits well and washes up well. I also love the LizLange tank tops (not workout) - I just wear those with a sports bra underneath. They work for an everyday wardrobe AND for working out. I wear one of these tanks almost every day either with a sweater, for my workout, pj's, etc.  They are only $12 and they are amazingly soft and fit great.
  • Options
    I only like Under Armour compression capris pre-pregnancy.  I LOVE the Target maternity pants.  They have the same feel as the Under Armour ones. I use the matching fitted maternity workout tank. I feel it helps support my growing belly.  I'm at 26 weeks and don't have to use a support belt yet to run in with the support of the belly panel on the pants and how the tank hugs me.  

• Options
    I can keep wearing my regular shirts (this is baby #3).  And I have 2 pairs of leggings I can still wear (out of the like 10 pairs I own).  I have never bought maternity pants, but seriously am considering it now.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Target BeActive line. I have the capris and the leggings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"