Health & Exercise

HR while Pg

I have read somewhere that while pregnant, try to keep your heart rate under ___________bpm while working out. But for the life of me, I cannot find where I read that! Any ideas/recommendations you have heard?

I am in my first trimester and I know that I can continue to do things I was doing prior to getting KU but I don't want to push myself too far. I have a HR monitor and would try to do HIIT training prior, with my heart rate reaching 165-170bpm while really pushing. I *think* the number I previously read was around 140bpm max but wanted to double check/get additional opinions.

Re: HR while Pg

• The 140 number is really outdated.  It was originally from ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) and even they admit that's not longer the standard.  Their latest recommendations are below, note, there's no mention of heart rate.

When you exercise, follow these general guidelines for a safe and healthy exercise program:

• After the first trimester of pregnancy, avoid doing any exercises on your back.
    • If it has been some time since you have exercised, start slowly. Begin with as little as 5 minutes of exercise a day and add 5 minutes each week until you can stay active for 30 minutes a day.
    • Avoid brisk exercise in hot, humid weather or when you have a fever.
    • Wear comfortable clothing that will help you to remain cool.
    • Wear a bra that fits well and gives lots of support to help protect your breasts.
    • Drink plenty of water to help keep you from overheating and dehydrating.
    • Make sure you consume the daily extra calories you need during pregnancy.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor didnt give me a target heart rate.  She said it doesn't really work like that.  Basically her advice was the talking rule, with a side of if you have already been doing it, then keep doing it.

I continued with my existing workouts, and my body clearly said HELL NO when it was time to dial it down.  I would get light headed or nauseous or I could feel my heart pounding to hard.  If that happened, I took it down a notch or stopped if needed before continuing.   Especially in the first trimester.  I just listened to my body throughout the entire pregnancy and was fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"