August 2012 Moms
Options

Breaking the paci habit

Re: Breaking the paci habit

• Options
    I've heard of both of those suggestions that you mentioned, that they work pretty well. Around 19 or 20 months we took Aidan's pacifier away cold turkey. Honestly we thought it was going to be much harder than it actually was! He only had it for nap & bedtime. That first night he just had a confused look on his face, and there was some crying for a couple days, but then he just moved on. I love the build a bear idea, and we probably would have done that if he had been older and could understand the concept. However you choose to do it, good luck!
    blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't have any ideas. DD is still a paci addict and we haven't been to the dentist with her yet. But please report back on what you do!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did more or less cold turkey a week ago. I attempted cutting the tip but perhaps took too much as she immediately side eyed me and demanded "old binky." I tried saying fairies we're going to come and deliver her binks to lil babies. She said " no fairies no".

One day her binks disappeared all morning and afternoon. The next day it disappeared at bed time too. Finally it wasn't available for naps. Our bedtime routine changed a bit to include some rocking/soothing. She hasn't forgotten her lost friend but there's no crying now. Just an occasional "binky?" Nope, all gone sorry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Nolan was down to only nighttime and weekend naps. 

We threw away all the pacis we could find except one (so I couldn’t weaken and give in). That one I cut the end off of and put in his bed.  When he went to get it before bed he said, “uh oh, broken!” We said, “Oh, no! it’s broken. You better put it in the trash.” He cried for a minute and then threw it in the trash.  He then reconsidered and though about getting it back, but didn’t.  He asked a few times that night and for a few more nights, saying “Paci broken?” I said yes and he seemed fine with that.

That was three weeks ago and he asks every now and then at bedtime and says, "Paci?" "Paci broken?"  I gotta be honest I'd totally cave if I had any in the house just to see his face when I gave him one. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"