Infertility
Options

Can lining be too thick?

So I have been wondering if your lining can be too thick and I was interested in anything that you all have heard. The reason I'm wondering is because of my recent failed IUI cycle. My nurse told me today that my lining was 11 mm the day before our first IUI. We did back to back ones. Then, they put me on progesterone suppositories to thicken my lining. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I'm wondering two things...why was I even put on the progesterone? And is it possible for lining to be too thick to implant? Or maybe that doesn't even make sense and I'm pulling at strings. I was just curious about anything that you all already know! I'm also planning on asking my nurse this tomorrow at my baseline ultrasound. Thanks for any input!!

Re: Can lining be too thick?

• Options
    I just realized that I probably should have posted this to the ttc board instead. My apologies.
  • Options
    I was told that lining cannot be too thick, just more cushioning for the embie to implant.
    Ready to take the road less traveled. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! That does make sense. : )
  • Options
    Mine was 15 with my FET.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    I was told that the lining could be too thick & the embryo could fail implanting because of that. Also, I hear that it is common in people of Asian orgin. I am Indian myself so this does apply somewhat to me too. Thats kind of the reason why my RE said no fresh transfer for only FETs & they will be monitoring my lining very closely to determine the optimal time to do the FET 

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

7th May 2014 - changed REs, this one seems to care (we think....)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities
    Not sure where we go from here...

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• Options
    I saw a study somewhere (I will look for it) that implantation rate increases from 8 up to 16.  Below 8 is much less likely to implant (I had this problem with Clomid, which is why I was reading about it).  But up to 16 the rates of implantation increased.  Over 16 there was some drop off.  
    Also, I think progesterone changes the quality of the lining, estrogen makes it thicker.  That is my basic understanding.  I was on a ton of progesterone with all my clomid cycles, and never got a very thick lining.  My first IVF cycle, I got a 12 on day 9.  
  • Options
    This cycle mine was 15 before retrieval.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 40, rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s, low ovarian reserve

DH: 42, bi-lateral varicocele (corrected in Dec 2013)

2008 Married

2009 Started TTC #1

2012 Hormone studies/ultrasound, HSG, Clomid

BFP ended in MC 

2013 3 rounds of Clomid

Hormone studies/ultrasound, SIS, polyp and bicornuate uterus removed

DH varicocelectomy

2014 Hormone studies/ultrasound, HSG, SIS, removed 2nd polyp

IVF #1- retrieved 17, 3 mature for 2 day transfer, BFN

IVF #2- September…our last chance….. retrieved 22, 6 mature blasts, 2 embies transferred, BFP (300 beta) on Oct 1st, Beta #2 675 Oct 3rd, Beta #3 2,484

EDD Twins 06/09/2015

1/30/2015 PPROM at 21 weeks, 3 days. Hospital bed rest to let these sweet peas cook. Holding on for 34 weeks!

• Options
    That's right @siempre595‌ it's the estrogen that thicken it. Progesterone keeps it from shedding.

I actually searched on the bump I think when I was doing my FET and my lining was 11 and my dr still wanted it thicker. Someone posted this study you are talking about. It was interesting. I'm mobile so I can't find it but if anyone's bored it's interesting.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    siempre595siempre595 member
    edited September 2014
    This is not the article I was thinking of, but this does help answer the question:

They found that a lining over 13 did worse, and cite other studies where a lining over 14 does worse.  Under 8 does quite poorly.  I think the sweet spot is 8-12? But obviously people will get pregnant outside those boundaries, it will just be less common.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the article! I understand a lot better now. I guess I was confused because I thought progesterone thickened the lining, but it makes me feel better knowing that I was on it to better the lining. That makes a lot more sense to me. When I asked the nurse what the progesterone was for she told me that it "gives you a nice thick lining" so I misinterpreted that. I knew someone here would have an answer for me. Thanks!! : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"