Blended Families

Private school?

new+tothisnew+tothis member
edited September 2014 in Blended Families
My son will be starting kinder next year. I'm looking at schools right now. One school I'm considering is a private school. How does that work with a blended family? Anyone have experience?

On one hand it would be wonderful if BD contributed to tuition but on the other hand that seems really unfair - if I want to choose a private school I should pay for it. I'm thinking about asking BD to look into it to see how he likes it and offer to pay tuition myself. BD will need to pay for after school care on his parenting time so I kind of feel like he already has one financial obligation while I don't need after school care (I'm a SAHM).

ETA: I want to say that this particular school is not expensive. It is affordable for us.

Re: Private school?

• My son is in private school. Luckily even though he was 2 when we divorced, we both agreed that he would go to school here, so it is in our court order. His dad pays 75% & I pay 25%. 
    FI's daughter is in private as well, and it was not in his court order. He payed all the first year, and then finally her grandparents agreed to pay half as a good faith gesture when they were asking for visitation. -He has full custody of his daughter. Her mom doesn't pay for anything. It is very frustrating.

His three plus my one; we are all excited to welcome a little one!

Pregnancy Ticker

• cole2144cole2144 member
    edited September 2014
    We do not pay for my SD`s school as my husband does not agree with Catholic schooling. The judge said in PA that if he does not agree to private school, she can`t force him to pay.
    No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.

• Loading the player...
  • BM and DH were looking at a couple of private options. DH agreed with the local Catholic school and was willing to pay half. DH did not agree with a private school BM liked (it was extremely pricey and wasn't necessarily better). They were advised by attorneys that since DH agreed with reasonable schooling options (public in BM's district is very good and the Catholic option) that if BM chose the private school anyway that she'd be responsible for the full cost. She ultimately chose the public school. BM pays for the after school care because she needs it and DH does not.
    someecards.com - North Carolina: Where you can marry your cousin. Just not your gay cousin.
  • Private school is all on the parent that wants it.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"