Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Sleeping the whole night...

My LO is just shy of 13 months and he gets up at least once, if not twice through the night. Each time I nurse him and then he goes pretty much directly back to sleep. We have started on whole milk, but he hasn't really taken to it like he has water. I know I could let him cry at night and he would go back to sleep, but we have a small house and my husband really needs his sleep to function the next day. Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help? He normally eats really well during the day and has a snack before bed, so I feel like he shouldn't be getting up to nurse so much at night, but when he does get up he nurses quite a bit...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sleeping the whole night...

• Options
    Both of mine woke up once a night to nurse until they weaned.  DD was 13 mos and DS was 14 mos.  That was the last feeding they gave up.  When i decided to wean DH went in and laid the LO back down.  They cried for a bit but once they realized I wasn't going to feed them they started sleeping through the night.  I think it took 2-3 nights for it to sink in completely.  

Your DS sounds normal although he doesn't need to eat at night at this age.   You can continue to nurse at night or not.  And I'm not nearly as nice as you.  I would tell my DH to get out of bed and help with the baby.  Everyone needs sleep to function.  
  • Options
    Thank you for the ideas. I guess maybe I'll try the water and let him cry for a bit longer than I do already. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! I'll check out the Jay Gordon method! We are going to try the water option tonight. We shall see what happens.
  • Options
    There are way more options other than just leaving him to cry. In addition to Gordon you can check out the No Cry Sleep Solution.

FWIW, DD1 didn't STTN until she was nearly 3, even after night weaning. Some kids just aren't ready, yet. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DD went from waking up once a night to STTN gradually as well. 1-2 nights a week STTN, then 3-4, now 5-7. Each baby is so different. She isn't BF anymore but is on while milk during the day and skim at night. I am slowly adding water as well until it is just water at night. But by the time I started this she was mainly STTN. Hang in there! Whether your LOVE needs it or not- they are only this little for a small moment.

TTC #1 since 5/2010 dx: annovulatory 

RLP: 2/2012: normal HSG 3/2012: normal

BFP #1 7/20/11 M/C 7/25/11. BFP #2 11/29/11 M/C 12/21/11

I have two angel babies that I will see again one day

BFP #3 10/27/12 EDD: 7/6/13

Baby Emma arrived at 35 weeks by surprise on June 3rd, 2013!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #4: 5/23/14 EDD: 1/30/15  Emma's gonna be a big sister!

Beta #1 19DPO: 213 Beta #2 21DPO: 674

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"