High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Baby head measuring in the lower 2%

Found out at 26 week appointment. They said it could just be because I am petite, but have scheduled an ultrasound in another month. They didn't say what it could be otherwise, instead want to wait and see what the next ultrasound says. Anyone have experience with this?

Re: Baby head measuring in the lower 2%

• Options
    My baby was in the 3% at around 27 weeks.  You want to find out if it is asymmetric growth.   Is her abdomen also in the 2%? From my understanding it would be very concerning if her head was a lot smaller than his/her body because then it would mean the brain might be not getting enough nourishment? I would ask your doctor about this. 

Ultrasounds can be way off I had one where she was in the 3% and then a week later they said she was in the 18%.    Then the next month she was back in the 3% with a .4% abdomen. 

My advice is to keep track of all the numbers so that you can monitor her growth.    I don't think there is much they can do for it other than monitor you closely and induce you early, if needed. I go in twice a week for dopplers and NSTs.  I also had to appt./growth scans with a perinatologist.  My doctor had me quit jogging at 34 weeks and lie on my left side as much as possible, but she admitted that these weren't things that would probably help, but they "couldn't hurt." 

I'm being induced at 37 weeks.   It's scary, and honestly I have the feeling that it's just a small baby. (My grandmother used to say it took her ten months to "grow" a baby, she had four all around 3-4 weeks late) and I was three weeks late and very tiny.   \But because my doctor thinks there is a risk of it being a placenta problem, I've agreed to get induced early. 

Good luck! 
  • Options
    So glad to have someone who understands. Most people are like well you are small so probably not anything. While I know it could not be serious there is a chance it is!! Keep me updated on how things go with your little one!!

Thanks for help in knowing what to ask, really at the time I was dumbstruck and didn't know what to say...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They said her anatomy was looking alright- small, but alright. IDK= I will ask at next apt. though and see if it is just that she is small over all (I mean someone has to be in the bottom percentile right?) or if her head isn't proportional to her body.
  • Options
    Good luck with everything.   Most people that I have found on the internet have had positive results with similar situations.  I'm keeping positive thoughts for a positive outcome  and I think that is all we can do, other than asking the doctor a million questions. 

My girl's abdomen is smaller than her head, which is an indication that her body is not getting enough nutrients and sending it all to her brain for the most important development.  But it drives me nuts because u/s are so inaccurate how can they be sure? Why don't they do more?  (I have had 3 growth scans, two with very small results and one with not so concerning results). 

I'lll let you know how it goes, best of luck to you.   
  • Options
    I know - are we doing all this worrying and then everything be alright in the end.
  • Options
    I know - are we doing all this worrying and then everything be alright in the end.
  • Options

Try not to worry... I know trite and useless advice.... aside from sending hugs your way I can't offer much. 

I would gladly offload some of my LO's skull size to yours if I could though.  DH's family all have big heads and it looks as though I've lost the genetics race on that one with LO :P

• Options
    KnitPixy said:

Try not to worry... I know trite and useless advice.... aside from sending hugs your way I can't offer much. 

I would gladly offload some of my LO's skull size to yours if I could though.  DH's family all have big heads and it looks as though I've lost the genetics race on that one with LO :P

:) Opposite ends of the spectrum I see ;)- thanks for good thoughts and all though- it does help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"