November 2014 Moms
Options

Post-Partum Care PSA: Do your Sitz baths

As we get closer to delivery and start thinking of after care, I have a PSA to share.  Do your post partum sitz baths (with epsom salts), even if you don't feel like you need them.  Take it from me.  I didn't do them at first, and I later regretted it  :)

I had two smallish tears that did require stitches.  I delivered med-free and never felt the tears, and I had an easy post-partum recovery for the most part.  I didn't have a lot of pain "down there" post partum,  and I was taking walks within two days of delivery.  I felt good and was so wrapped up with DS that I never did sitz baths as recommended.  Big mistake.  Not only did my tears get infected, I healed weirdly with scar tissue.  I didn't discover it until my 6 week post partum MW visit. Antibiotics took care of the infection, but my MW had to do a silver nitrate treatment on my scar tissue.  Holy mother of god, that hurt worse than the childbirth - they basically burn your skin so it has to re-heal.  At 6 weeks post-partum I had to do twice daily epsom salt sitz baths.  Over the course of the next two months, I had to go back for two more silver nitrate treatments (awful awful pain), and continue the sitz baths.  I wasn't cleared for sex until four months post partum, when I was finally totally healed.

I'm not trying to scare people - the weird scar tissue issue doesn't happen to everyone who doesn't do sitz baths.  It's not common, but it's also not un-common.  It's just that if I had done my sitz bath initially, I likely would have avoided the whole ordeal. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Post-Partum Care PSA: Do your Sitz baths

• Options
    Hmmm this will be a nice necessary to-do. :)

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I've never heard of the Epsom salt sitz bath. What exactly is it? Just a warm bath with Epsom salt in it, and how often? Because I am definitely doing it now! Thank you for sharing!

ETA: spelling!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WOW!!! Thanks for the info!!!!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I was just looking on vitacost and they sell a sitz bath spray.

Might be a good backup to have. Has anyone used this?
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    And don't forget the spray bottle when you leave the hospital! (If you give birth in one). Sitz bath and spray bottle are your dearest friends ladies.
  • Options
    This must not apply if you have a CS?...I didn't hear about any of this with my first birth...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options

This must onot apply if you have a CS?...I didn't hear about any of this with my first birth...

I don't think that they would since I assume there generally isn't trauma to the vagina with a C-section.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"