October 2014 Moms
Options

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Happy Monday!! Been feeling a little off the last couple weeks... exhausted, swelling feet, slight nausea, totally not like myself... I thought it was maybe just the third trimester blues but I brought it up to my doctor anyway at my last appointment and she wanted to check on my liver enzymes. First blood test came back last week and it was just *slightly* high. Retested on Friday and received results today. Levels are higher than the last test so she wants me to come back as soon as possible today, redo blood work and meet with her to discuss. FX everything goes well!! 

Started googling and playing web doctor... immediately regretted it. Anyone else experience this issue come up? TIA! :)
Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19

Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes

• Options
    I've dealt with this I. The past but not while pregnant. I think they made me do a complete bone scan. Everything was normal and think I was told that I just had a fatty liver? Something like that. I think I read that the levels can be raised due to an injury...but it's been awhile so I may be off. Anyway my levels eventually went back down and all was fine. Good luck with everything and try not to worry. (I know easier said than done)
    BabyFetus Ticker} Mom to 3 with one on the way. EDD 10/04/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had elevated levels last fall. We tested for all sorts of things and did an ultrasound of my liver and could figure what was wrong.

He gave me four months then he retested and by then I was all good. Thankfully because the next step was a biopsy of my liver. Apparently it can just run high occasionally. He checked me again in April when I was four months along and I was still good. I will see him again 3 months post partum.

Hopefully it was just a fluke (other non scary things is your gallbladder and that can cause problems and be removed with little issues, so I've heard)
  • Options
    I dealt with this a few weeks ago! I had routine labs done and my liver enzymes came back elevated. After that the doc had me start going in for NST's 2x/week as well as getting labs 1x/week to monitor them. At one of the routine NST's they drew blood and my liver enzymes were WAY higher than the original high report. They made me stay in the hospital for two nights for monitoring (I was also having high bp). The doc at the hospital basically told me that I should start mentally preparing to deliver early (I was only 32 weeks) as these symptoms were characteristic of pre-e. Welllllllllll I ended up getting to go home and since then the enzymes have gone back down to NORMAL levels. They also put me on bedrest.

Hopefully they will keep monitoring you and yours will go back down too! I think our bodies just fluctuate. But at the same time like the docs were originally worried about with me, it could mean something. Hang in there!
  • Options
    @Saragoeswest‌ you are on a Taylor kick! Love it.
  • Options
    I don't want to scare you, but I had a similar situation and had to deliver early (32 weeks). Do you know your ast or alt numbers? Mine were close to 300 (I think normal is under 40), and I was rushed into an emergency csection am hour or two later. Stay on top of it and if you feel sick, have a high BP reading, or have pain on your right side- call the doc!!
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Post appointment update: Doctor wants to see me weekly to track BP. She said the levels were just slightly higher than "average" in the 40s... nothing off the charts. She said she just wants to make sure we take it seriously in case it's something else. Some common options were pre-e (but my BP is fine and no headaches), fatty liver pregnancy (but I haven't been throwing up and levels are pretty low for this), and cholestasis (they are doing a test for bile off of today's blood test). She said I could just be a unicorn and usually just have slightly higher levels. I should have the report on the liver enzyme levels tomorrow and Friday for the bile. She said to watch out for any headaches or throwing up. Immediate call to the doctor if that comes up! 

Doctor listened to baby and LO sounded great. She's been super active today so that's always a good sign. I feel a lot better after today's appointment. I know I'm in good hands and she's keeping a close eye on me. 

Note to self: Stay off of google. lol
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"