August 2012 Moms
Options

Pediatrician called my toddler overweight

Opposite problem from the post on skinnies, lol.

DD had her 2yo checkup today. She's 36 inches tall and 32lbs. Big kid. She was mismeasured at first by the nurse who obv didn't give a flip about her job, so when the doctor first came in, we were looking at a height/weight chart for 35in/32lbs, which puts her around 80th percentile height, 95th weight. Even after we got her height corrected the doctor was saying "well she's on the cusp of being overweight. Make sure she eats lots of fruits and veggies blah blah blah." My growth app says she's 93rd percentile for both measurements

Honest to god, the worst thing this kid ever eats is a nutrigrain bar for snack (2-3x per week) and French fries once a week. We don't have cake or cookies at home. She's on 2% milk. She'd live on fruit, fruit and more fruit if we let her.

Behind all my angst is that DH and I are overweight. He's borderline obese. The only time in my life I've been skinny since puberty was when I had an eating disorder in high school. I don't want DD to inherit our weight struggles. I also don't want to create body issues for her by introducing food restrictions.

Help! Does anyone have suggestions for how to keep an eye on her weight (as pedi suggests)? Or is this a non-issue brought on by an incorrect height measurement? Is this too ridiculous to even worry about?
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pediatrician called my toddler overweight

• Options
    i honestly wouldn't worry about it.

she's eating a balanced diet and she's a taller kid. i would definitely not restrict calories/fat at this age. toddlers need fat for growth and development. offer a variety of healthy foods and let her eat until she's full (that's what toddlers will do, without any of our weird adult hangups about food, or emotional eating or whatever else).

which growth chart were they looking at, the CDC or the WHO? there is some variation between the two. if you look at both, it might give you some perspective.

(all that said, i don't think the measurements they get are even accurate! at DS's 2 year visit, he was being super-clingy and emotional, and he stepped on the scale for about 2 milliseconds, and weighed 2 lbs less than when i had weighed him at home. then he refused to let them pull down this measuring tape onto his head to get his height, so they had to measure him lying down while he was squirming and he consequently was measured as being super-tall. :P it's a total crapshoot.)
  • Options
    My nephew has similar measurements. He's a big kid, but seriously? He's just a big kid. He eats well and lots fruit, but he's just a beefy kid. He's not fat, he's solid.

I wouldn't read into it. Your LO is healthy...NOT fat or overweight.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD is the exact same height and weight (36 inches - maybe it was 36.5), and 32 lbs. We were told she was 96th percentile for height and 95th for weight. All we got from her doctor was very positive reinforcement about how healthy she is. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not planning to stop feeding DD plenty of high-fat foods, because they are all 'whole' foods like avocado, yogurt, etc.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    sdlaura said:

My DD is the exact same height and weight (36 inches - maybe it was 36.5), and 32 lbs. We were told she was 96th percentile for height and 95th for weight. All we got from her doctor was very positive reinforcement about how healthy she is. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not planning to stop feeding DD plenty of high-fat foods, because they are all 'whole' foods like avocado, yogurt, etc.

That's good to hear. I'm kind of pissed about the whole thing today. We don't need 2yo kids labeled as overweight and introduced to dieting.
  • Options
    I'd be pissed too. FWIW, I saw a toddler at the airport yesterday who was really obviously overweight, and she looked so different from my DD's dimensions.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Options
    I lurk every once in a while but thought I'd chime in today.  My DD is even bigger....36.5 inches and 34.5 lbs.  Her pedi just said she's the size of an average three year old but healthy as could be.  On a side note - she eats like a bird!  The only things she will put in her mouth these days are fruit, tomatoes, pickles, and cheerios.  Pretty sure we're not on the road to obesity with a diet like that. 

It's Tuesday, right?  Your pedi could win the waffle award this week :)
    BFP #1 - January 2010...m/c at 12 weeks 
    BFP #2 - December 2011, little lady #1 born August 2012
    BFP #3 - August 2013....m/c at 5 weeks 
    BFP #4 - October 2013....little lady #2 born June 2014

• Options
    DS had very similar measurements at his 2 year appointment and the Dr made no mention of it.  He has always been in the 90th percentile (besides when he was first born and I was apparently starving him!) so I didn't even think twice about it and neither did the Dr.  He eats a balanced diet with a few snack foods thrown in, but he's just a big kid, solid.  I wouldn't worry about it.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    I weighed DS at work last week, he's 39lbs. and probably 35" tall. He's a giant, almost as big as his 5 y/o brother. He is just a big boy, not fat. I'll be interested to see what the pedi says at his 2 yr checkup tomorrow.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Our pediatrician has been very clear with us that she wants the percentiles to be "symmetrical" so if she's X% for weight she should be X% for height (give or take). If your kid were 20th percentile for height and 80th for weight, I'd be worried, but 93 and 93? That sounds perfect to me. 

I have also struggled with my weight my whole life, as have all of the women in my family, and I too am very concerned about monitoring the messages my kid hears from me and others. Right now, my two year old thinks that "big" is a compliment (the other day she told me that I was "a big girl" which at 6 months pregnant took me a minute to realize that she was just using the same compliment I give her all the time). We are also trying to be mindful of "pretty" and other looks based adjectives - she knows that she looks "pretty" when her hair is up in pony tails/pig tails and that those are extra, but that having her brushed is required hygiene. 
  • Options
    Eff that, she's perfect. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry. One of my daughters (twins) was 37.5 inches and 32 pounds at her 2 year checkup. She was 99th height and 80th weight. No concerns from the pedi at all.
    image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My son weighed 37 lbs at his 2 yr and is very tall, he's the size of an average 3 year old. He is so active I'm not worried, I'm sure your daughter is just as active, he's just a big kid! I did notice when we switched to skim milk at 2 he leaned out more. Can you do skim milk? My doctor is strict and says no juice or carb snacks, like only 8 Goldfish at a sitting Bc they create fat cells. Do I completely follow this no! I have weight issues myself so I monitor closely. I think you are doing fine and don't worry!
  • Options
    Ps he has a twin sister- I feed them the exact same except he does like more milk or he finishes hers, and she weighs exactly 10 lbs less than him and is a little shorter. He's just going to be a big strong boy. It started at 4 months old- he was starving and wanted more milk! The only thing my ped said was that he is above the 99 percentile and borderline but switching to skim helped that.
  • Options
    Reilly626 said:

My son weighed 37 lbs at his 2 yr and is very tall, he's the size of an average 3 year old. He is so active I'm not worried, I'm sure your daughter is just as active, he's just a big kid! I did notice when we switched to skim milk at 2 he leaned out more. Can you do skim milk? My doctor is strict and says no juice or carb snacks, like only 8 Goldfish at a sitting Bc they create fat cells. Do I completely follow this no! I have weight issues myself so I monitor closely. I think you are doing fine and don't worry!

Wow. Your doc sounds kind of extreme! No carb snacks at all?

She drinks 2% milk now. We probably could switch it down to skim. She eats lots of avocado so she'd still be getting some good fats elsewhere.
  • Options
    Seriously punch your pedi in the throat. Just do it. As a fellow overweight parent (who is working on things but still insecure of what I pass onto my boys) I would have told that pedi to F off. It is FANTASTIC if your kid is eating well right now. SO many parents are dealing with kids that pick and won't eat anything to sustain themselves. And your pedi wants to complain about weight? In a 2 year old? nnooooo. I am sorry but that is inappropriate. If your kid was 40+ pounds, maybe I could see looking into dietary habits and making modifications if it makes sense, but seriously? She is tall. 

Throat punch to that pedi.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't normally post here, but DD was 36 inches and 33 lbs at her 2 year check up. Our doctor wasn't concerned at all, DD had followed the same growth curve since she was tiny. We did switch from whole milk to 1% and we are trying to limit her milk (she would drink it all day if we let her), but I'm not worried about it. She is active and eats decently, so I just try to give her healthy options and we'll see how things go.

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I've been trying to watch what she eats this week and though she won't let a vegetable pass her lips, I feel ok about the rest of her diet. We're going to focus on learning to like veggies and screw worrying about weight or her other dietary habits. She's healthy.
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. I wouldn't bee too worried about it. I was told when my DS was one that he was too skinny and too short. First. The nurse measured him wring and second she weighed him on a standing scale and he could barely stand still. After that appointments went and found another pediatrician. They did not have any concerns as he is eating a lot and is eating healthy. As for the height both my husband and I are under 5'3" along with most of our family members so the likelihood DS will be tall is slim. This new pedi seems to care. More and ask more questions so you might consider changing if you can just to get another opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"